PDA

View Full Version : Runnin' Off Prominent Contributors Here!!

11-06-2002, 10:26 AM
I've seen an obvious trend I really detest that has formed here on this board. It seems that someone like Francher or Blackjack comes along with posts which reflect direct excerpts from their successfull writings and immediately a shark fest occurr. What the hell is wrong with you people! That's pointed, and meant to be. Do we really want to be guilty of stiffling ourselves here on this board with only the opinions and advice that we've had already for quite some time? I think not. If you don't totally agree with these posts(or any for that matter) then just click past and let well enough alone, and allow those who see positive in what they have read, keep the positive. You ain't doing the general group any good by running off posters with proven success who's come here in a friendly manner trying only to help.

Wake up and look back at yourselves. This ain't the way it started out on this board, it shouldn't be the way it goes now.

Sid Vicious

Sid_Vicious
11-06-2002, 10:29 AM

rackmup
11-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Sid:

You get a few posters that are trying to do something good, like offer info, advice, or deals on equipment or ways to take care of what you have and you are right...it's like vultures swarming to roadkill.

While the info DSAPOLIS offered might be geared toward a beginning to somewhat skilled player, I do not see the need to tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about simply because it doesn't pertain to a certain perceived level of player.

Regarding the deal with Fran, well, that quite simply got blown out of proportion.

The in-fighting, disagreements and such will continue regardless of what the ccboard_admin does because that is the "nature of the beast" here. I just think that if you have a disagreement with someones post, a personal message questioning the post would be more appropriate than publicly blasting someone.

Just my $.02 worth.

Regards,

Ken (Sid...when we gonna play some of that friendly nineball like we played a few months back?)

TomBrooklyn
11-06-2002, 10:52 AM
I find this kind of general critisicm of the "board" negative and counter productive. It is true there are some posters who react like you say to prominent posters. I would suggest addressing constructive responses directly to those you feel it appropriate to do so to.

General condemnations of the "board" contributes to a feeling of negativity separate and in addition to what is intended to be addressed; and seems to overlook or devalue the many worthwhile contributions that routinely take place by less than prominent contributors. It strikes me like replacing one kind of negativity with another, and looking at the glass as half empty rather than half full.

=TB=

Wally_in_Cincy
11-06-2002, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I've seen an obvious trend I really detest that has formed here on this board. It seems that someone like Francher or Blackjack comes along with posts which reflect direct excerpts from their successfull writings and immediately a shark fest occurr.
Sid Vicious <hr></blockquote>

Actually Sid it wasn't a feeding frenzy. It was just one guy that was doggin' Blackjack.

11-06-2002, 11:25 AM
It depends how the advice is delivered. There is a difference between advice and preaching. You can put the most learned people around a table to discuss a subject and you will find disagreement even though everyone may be an expert. Each one by themselves though in a group of listeners, may sound like the voice of God. There is nothing wrong with discussion as long as it can be kept objective. I would hate to be just reading one sided opinions no matter how well meaning they may be. Any poster who wants to post an opinion should be welcome to do so and have it put to the test without being offended. That is how it works. Credentials do not always mean they are right.

11-06-2002, 11:36 AM
Actually at one time there was a very few here that tried to control discussions. Once they entered they felt that was that and how dare anyone disagree, after all, "Don't you know who you are talking to." The board has grown and although growth has brought some problems, I do prefer the open discussions. Those that could not stand any challenges to their opinions have left and as much as they may have had to add, it is their loss as much as ours.

Ludba
11-06-2002, 06:14 PM
I agree. It's the manner in which the response was delivered. If someone gives general advice as DSAPOLIS has, and you disagree with it, you should respond. You shouldn't be a pill about it, but you should point out things like "this is not always the case." That's what a discussion forum is for: it's a marketplace of ideas. I would have responded to DSAPOLIS if what's-his-name hadn't already. And we probably would have had a healthy informative discussion, and ultimately we would have agreed on the rules and the exceptions, if we are both level-headed individuals.

And I think TomBrooklyn is right: the reactionaries who bemoan the "board" (me included) are defeating the purpose of their own arguments. If you disagree with someone, tell them so, but don't make a big deal out of it.

11-07-2002, 12:51 PM
That's well put, Ken, but we have too many contributors who don't distinguish between disagreeing with the content of a post and attacking the poster personally. The first is one of the purposes of a forum like CCB, the second is totally counter-productive and doesn't even deserve to be shared privately with the poster (IMO, anyway). Whoever told DSAPOLIS he didn't know what he was talking about was WAY out of line as far as I'm concerned. "I disagree with your point #__" would have been far more useful. George Fels

Ludba
11-07-2002, 03:42 PM
I just don't think we should give those posters too much publicity. We should respond to those out-of-line posters immediately in the forums they have slammed. We should not turn the entire thread into a personal argument with those posters, but we should let those offering advice (as well as everyone else) know that we don't appreciate rude behavior. We have the ability and the obligation to moderate our own forums in this way. And by 'we' I mean the rest of us who have the brains to distinguish between constructive criticism and personal attacks; we are in the majority.

I do concede that there is some truth to the other side of the argument. There is the danger of running off posters whose advice is appreciated and who normally get paid for the advice they're handing out for free. But the way to address the problem is NOT to turn the a-holes into celebrities nor is it helpful to think that CCB is being overrun by the Mongol hordes.

If some individual is being a pain, let them know it, and then move on. If they're constantly being obnoxious, there are more drastic measures, but most the time we can handle it ourselves quickly and effectively.

As for Mike, his only fault is that he titled his response "you don't know what you are talking about." His posts otherwise exhibit exactly what we have been talking about. He discussed DSAPOLIS' advice critically and constructively. He goes point-by-point and attacks the advice and not the person. The title was rude, but I agree with the substance and style of his responses. He even self-consciously said he didn't want to "step in and correct [DSAPOLIS], because people will complain."

We should not be so indignant at opposition to viewpoints, that we get mad any time somebody attacks our mentor's advice. I respect your expertise very much, Mr. Fels, but if you said something on this board that I disagreed with, I would tell you so (with tact and without inflammatory post titles).

Anyone who still doesn't think Mike's posts were constructively critical should go read them in the "10 Bad Habits That Keep You From Running The Rack" thread.

11-08-2002, 03:59 PM
That's exactly how I'd expect you to respond if we disagreed, Ludba. Nobody's right all the time, and without dissension America would never have been born in the first place.

I further agree that it was the banner, not the content, that was offensive about that post. But that same knockers' attitude is easy enough to find elsewhere on the CCB. Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. GF

rackmup
11-09-2002, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mr. Fels:</font><hr>The first is one of the purposes of a forum like CCB, the second is totally counter-productive and doesn't even deserve to be shared privately with the poster <hr></blockquote>

As long as there are message boards, regardless of the forum topic and the guidelines set in place by the forum host, we will always have two types of poster:

The one who is sincere in his questions, the inquisitive content of his posts and his replies to others.

Unfortunately, we will also have the "hide-behind-the-dumpster-and-throw-eggs-at-passing-cars-and-run" contibutors as well.

Just the nature of the beast. When confronted with the latter, simply ignore them and head to the car wash to rid yourself of the rotten smell.

Good to see you posting (even if it is anonymously and few-and-far-between.)

Regards,

Ken