PDA

View Full Version : Type of sandpaper needed?

11-07-2002, 09:53 AM
My stick is always getting sticky, what is the best (if there is) type of sandpaper too use, I know it has gotta be very fine so it doesnt take the top layer off your cue. I there any paper which makes the cue smooth, but doesnt take the wood off? What do you use to keep your stick smooth?

stickman
11-07-2002, 11:05 AM
Occasionally, I take a white powdered sink cleanser with bleach (no green cystals) and apply it to a damp cloth, and scrub my shaft. Once the chalk dust, and other grime is removed, I wipe the shaft down with a clean damp cloth and stand the shaft verticle to completely dry. Once dry, I take an undied piece of leather and buff the shaft. (I use the back of an old leather belt.) The buffing needs to be done fast, not hard. This process seals the pores and returns a gloss to the surface. When I am satisfied with the buffing, I further seal the shaft with a cream colored carnuba boat wax. (a carnuba car wax will work the same) I then polish with a clean dry soft cloth. The shaft looks new and is very slick. I have done this for quite some time and have never had any problems associated with this proceedure. My only warning would be to use the least amount of moisture needed, and stay away from the tip. I use smokers toothpaste and an old toothbrush to clean my ferrule.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-07-2002, 11:25 AM
This has been discussed at length here. If you do a search you'll find a lot of info. Personally I use:

http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=QC40

Cueless Joey
11-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Get Dr. Z's shaft pack at cuesforless.

Rod
11-07-2002, 11:43 AM
I use denatured alcohol so no wood will be removed. A small amount on a cloth will remove any oil etc from your hands. You can burnish with natural leather or the back side of some wet or dry sand paper works well also. The alcohol is cheap and you can put some in a little bottle to store in your case.

Chris Cass
11-07-2002, 12:33 PM
What type of cue are you shooting with? Does your cue come with varnish on the shaft or has a seal coat, as the CueTech cue? What degree of temperature and humidity is common, in the place you shoot? Do your hands often sweat? Are the tables clean?

C.C.~~needs the full story before I commit myself./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I'm learning....

Rod
11-07-2002, 12:39 PM
You sure ask a lot of questions!/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Chris, actually I had that in mind myself but alcohol is still safe.

stickman
11-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Good thought, Chris. I never thought of a varnished shaft, since I've never owned one. If varnished, ignore my previous advice.

SpiderMan
11-07-2002, 04:55 PM
Be sure to take it out of your case before you check your luggage on an aircraft. I believe that denatured may be considered a "hazardous substance".

SpiderMan

Tom_In_Cincy
11-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Exposed wooden shaft..

I use automotive sandpaper. About once every 3 months... I take 600 grit, to take the dirt off the shaft. Then I use 1000 to smooth it over... Then, 1500 for a nice fine finish (almost mirror like reflection) and finally 2000 grit for the Mirror type babies butt feeling.. of pure glass.

Rod
11-07-2002, 05:52 PM
What me fly, only birds fly. LOL Well I have flown with the cue a hand full of times. Good point since 911 everything has changed. I'll just tell them it's eyedrops, since it's a small bottle.

Rod
11-07-2002, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Exposed wooden shaft..

I use automotive sandpaper. About once a month... I take 600 grit, to take the dirt off the shaft. Then I use 1000 to smooth it over... Then, 1500 for a nice fine finish (almost mirror like reflection) and finally 2000 grit for the Mirror type babies butt feeling.. of pure glass. <hr></blockquote>

Wow Tom, 600 is pretty coarse. It wouldn't take a few seconds to remove a fair amount of wood. Then smoothing it with the other grits removes a tiny bit more.

If you removed .002, thats .001 per side. That is very little and I'll bet it's more, in 12 months you would remove at least 1/4 mm of wood. That makes your 13mm into 12 3/4 mm. Just curious if you replace a shaft once in a while or just play with a small shaft. You could take up snooker with the small ones! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Just kidding with you but finish work is usually done in smaller steps. Say like 1000, 1500, 2000. I only use 12 to 1500 on rare occaisions, or just those film papers which is like the 2000. Just a thought, don't yell at me!

~~rod ducking

Chris Cass
11-07-2002, 08:17 PM
Hi Rod,

Yep, it's just that so many people are buying these CueTech's and the finish is kind of sticky after awhile. They too can be sanded but not much. You wouldn't want to expose the fiberglass.

Oh, by the way I hope your shafts don't blow up on the plane. hahaha Just kidding..Your advice is noted and good too.

Regards,

C.C.~~it's in the mail boss....../ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
11-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Rod,

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Wow Tom, 600 is pretty coarse. It wouldn't take a few seconds to remove a fair amount of wood. Then smoothing it with the other grits removes a tiny bit more. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>

Whoops.. boo boo.. thanks Rod. You are correct.. I only use the 600 when needed.. (maybe once a year or when I have got the dings to swell up and need to smoothe them down.)

The other grit papers are for wood sealing. They keep the dirt and blue chalk out very nicely.

Troy
11-07-2002, 09:33 PM
If your shaft is wood with a finish like varnish or automotive clearcoat, I suggest removing the finish with a careful use of used 600 grit, followed by 1000, then burnish with a a piece of un-dyed leather.

For plain wood I use Simple Green® diluted with 2-parts water and a soft cloth followed by a dry soft cloth. Then buff with a bit of lighter fliud on a soft cloth (the lighter fluid will leave a trace of oil).

For a Cuetec fiberglass shaft, I use mild soap &amp; water and a soft cloth.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> My stick is always getting sticky, what is the best (if there is) type of sandpaper too use, I know it has gotta be very fine so it doesnt take the top layer off your cue. I there any paper which makes the cue smooth, but doesnt take the wood off? What do you use to keep your stick smooth? <hr></blockquote>