PDA

View Full Version : where is it taking you ????????????????????

11-07-2002, 05:24 PM
Now that we know how time you spend on pool. (if you read my last post) Now the question is. Where do you want your practicing and playing to take your game? How far will you let it take you? Maybe win a local tournament,or maybe a regional. Maybe even a national Tournament. So please answer with your honest answer John K.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-07-2002, 05:40 PM
On the Hill,,

I know where I am going and where I have been.. .. but I always find time to practice and compete. My goal with my game is to maintain and occasionally learn something that will make my game better.

I am curious.. where do you want pool to take you? Answer your own question, please.

Rod
11-07-2002, 06:22 PM
My practice routine isn't taking me anywhere. Just enough to play a decent game. That and be familiar what end of the cue to hold. If I want to play better I just put in more time.

11-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Well Tom. I think the farthest i would like my game to take me is maybe a regional tournament.Reality tells me that I will never get any better than that. And to answer my first question which i neglected to do. I thinkabout pool all the time and play whenever I can. Hopefully a couple of hours a day----------John K

Chris Cass
11-07-2002, 09:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: on the hill:</font><hr> Reality tells me that I will never get any better than that. <hr></blockquote>

Hi John,

Not to butt in here, but it's that type of thinking that will hold you down and keep you there. Now, if the amout of time your able to devote to the sport, is what's holding you back from reaching for the stars, that's another.

Myself, well I want to be the best I can be. To do this I need to obtain lessons. Right now, my goal is to win something at the Derby Classic in Jan. I don't know if this will happen but I'm putting fourth my best effort. I have been falling short in my practice goals lately and need to redefine them. I have been in somewhat of a slump and hope to pull out of it soon.

I see it as a good thing. The more I learn about myself the more I understand what I need to do. It's what you can't understand that can hurt you. That's when the teacher comes in. IMO Positive thinking and goal planning is what's important to me. A direction. I know I can reach pro level. I think I'll need a instructor to do it but right now it's all about one step at a time. I'm 47 and the eyes aren't so hot and for awhile I thought age would be a problem. Not after watching a guy named Willie.

Regards,

C.C.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-08-2002, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: on the hill:</font><hr> I think the farthest i would like my game to take me is maybe a regional tournament.Reality tells me that I will never get any better than that. <hr></blockquote>

I agree with C.C. that you should not place that limitation on yourself. Do you say that because of your perception of your natural ability or because of your practice time limitations?

As for myself, each time I win a match against someone I could not have had a prayer against 2 or 3 years ago I know I am going somewhere at least, albeit slowly /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

Just enjoyin' the journey,

bluewolf
11-08-2002, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: on the hill:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Reality tells me that I will never get any better than that. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Hi John,

Not to butt in here, but it's that type of thinking that will hold you down and keep you there. Now, if the amout of time your able to devote to the sport, is what's holding you back from reaching for the stars, that's another.

<hr></blockquote>

great answer chris. i just know i want to be good at pool. i dont know how long it will take me to get 'good' or what that means.by keeping it open ended, i am not putting limitations on myself nor pressure either.

i tend to be a type 'a' personality, lots of drive and pressure to get somewhere fast. i am having to totally revamp that, to relax,just have fun learning the game,regardless of how long it takes.

bw

11-08-2002, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: on the hill:</font><hr> Now that we know how time you spend on pool. (if you read my last post) Now the question is. Where do you want your practicing and playing to take your game? How far will you let it take you? Maybe win a local tournament,or maybe a regional. Maybe even a national Tournament. So please answer with your honest answer John K. <hr></blockquote>

To the point where people pay me NOT to play them. To the point where, all I have to do to win a tournament, is show up. To the point where I have mind control over the cueball, and can masse with my brainwaves alone, not to mention being able to steer the balls in like I usually do, but to the point that it actually works....

Just kidding.. I don't know, I hope this game takes me to different cities and towns to meet more great pool players. As for my own abilities, I just want to be a "good contender" for anyone I play.

Chris Cass
11-08-2002, 09:02 AM
BW,

The only thing you should strive for right now, is a smooth straight stroke, to always follow through the cb no matter how much the distance, try to keep the cue level as possible and your grip feel. Try to be consistant in your fundamentals and the rewards will soon follow. Take what your instructors advised and make it your goal.

The women of the sport have only a few in numbers that are ahead of the pack but basically the same percentages as males in the sport. Just smaller numbers is all. Keep, working at it and always remember why you play.

C.C.

bluewolf
11-08-2002, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> BW,

The only thing you should strive for right now, is a smooth straight stroke, to always follow through the cb no matter how much the distance, try to keep the cue level as possible and your grip feel. Try to be consistant in your fundamentals and the rewards will soon follow. Take what your instructors advised and make it your goal.

The women of the sport have only a few in numbers that are ahead of the pack but basically the same percentages as males in the sport. Just smaller numbers is all. Keep, working at it and always remember why you play.

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

thanks chris. i am trying very hard to focus on the stroke, bridge etc and not feel downcast when all of the balls dont go in. i think, living with a hubbie who is very good, and being a type a, competitive type,i have been upset that i couldnt lick this game fast like i did karate. i am just having to eat a lot of humble pie right now. i can get into this meditative state where it is okay to miss balls on my table but in a match, when I missed balls and lost the game, with people watching, i just got so embarrassed and it really hurt my pride and then i played even worse.

in away i dont even want to compete anymore because even though outwardly i display good sportsmanship, inwardly i am a sore loser, and losing in a match really bothers me.

i wonder if i should just keep practicing on my table and taking lessons (now that i can afford it) and forget about competition. what do you think?

when i lose i come home thinking i am so bad at pool and i will never be anything but a two and i know that kind of thinking is very bad for me. at least on my table at home, i can just enjoy the motions and the cue being part of my body and the clicks of the ball and i am having fun....

bw

11-08-2002, 10:26 AM
Hi, Stretch. I'm going to win a Provincial Title. Then i will win a National Title. Then i will be a perenial fixture in the money at all future Amateur Events. I will never turn Pro. Just play like one.

But more than that, I will always strive to bring respect, and interest to this game and play with the highest of standards and sportsmanship. St ~~who's been down every other road but this one, the one i love~~

Ludba
11-08-2002, 01:29 PM
I want to be the greatest pool player that has ever lived. Honestly. I want to take pool to never-before-reached levels. I never did answer your previous thread question, but 5 hours a day at 5 days a week is not enough to match up with the Lassiters, Mosconis, and Hoppes. However I'm getting better everyday and becoming more diligent everyday.