PDA

View Full Version : Greatest come from behind win

cueball1950
03-06-2002, 09:45 PM
OK everybody.. What was your greatest come from behind win in a tournament....Mine was at elite billiards in worster(hope i spelled it right) Mass against Bob Medinjian(hope i spelled that right also, Anyway i was down 6/1 in a race to 7 on the losers side and came back to beat him..........mike

03-06-2002, 11:48 PM
Unfortunately, I was on the receiving end of my comeback story. I was gambling with a friend of mine playing 8 ball races to 7 for 20's. He won the initial flip and broke and ran the first rack but came up dry on the second break...I ran six racks to get to the hill, made 4 balls on the break but got kicked in by the last rolling ball. At that point, my opponent calmly got out of his chair and ran out the set.

Q-guy
03-07-2002, 02:44 AM
I never like to answer one of these threads because what ever you say sounds a little showoffey But I won a match once coming from such complete oblivion I can't help wanting to tell the story. I was playing in a tournament that was single elimination race to 11 two out of three sets. I won't use the guys name because I think he reads this board. He is a good player and had just beaten Steve Cook to play me. Heres what happened. I lost the first set 11 to 1. In the second set he got me down 9 to 1. At this point I have won two of twenty-two games. For some reason he wanted to take a break. This place had a snack bar that made great milkshakes. I got myself a vanilla milkshake and came back into the tournament room and sat down. He came back and broke the balls and it was a new game. I got some rolls and began running out. I came back to win the second set 11 to 10. I then went on to win the third set 11 to 2. People in the audience told me afterwards he had only come to the table less then ten times after taking that break. That is one of my wife's favorite stories about me, except for the one where I was playing a guy in New York and a giant mounted fish fell off the wall knocking me unconscious.

CarolNYC
03-07-2002, 03:33 AM
Hey Mike,
Corner Billiards NYC qualifier-was down 6-1, came back and won 7-6-boy, I was sweatin' it!Placed 7/8th!
Carol`greatest loss-Me and Allison-she won 7-2,ha ha ha!

CarolNYC
03-07-2002, 03:38 AM
Karen Corr-Binghamton-7-1
Kelly-Maryland-7-1
Sarah in NJ gave me the "DONUT" 7-0!ha ha ha
Carol

03-08-2002, 05:25 PM
My win-from-behind won't be as flamboyant as other responses you receive, Cueball, but it sure was a thrill for me. I was in a place called the Players' Club, on Gramercy Park West in NY (the name refers to actors and performers, not pool players), playing their long-incumbent champion, Rusty Miller (he's posted here from time to time). The real feature, though, was who was in the audience: Rosser Reeves, co-author of Ray Martin's famous book (he claims Martin wrote not one syllable of the text) and a bonafide legend in the advertising business, where I made my living. Playing 100 points for $25, I broke and Rusty ran 50. "Mastering Pool" had just come out, and I was sitting there thinking, "Well, genius, here you are as a pool author nobody's ever heard of, 50 points down. Exactly what are you going to do about this?" And what I did was go out in two innings, 75-25 back-to-back, well over my head although I wasn't about to tell that to a NY gallery. The cue I was using at the time was a Rambow; I'll never forget that game as long as I live. GF

03-09-2002, 02:18 PM
George...I remember you writing about that experience in one of your BD articles.

It's a shame that Biliards digest online doesn't have at least some "content" from back issues, to wet the appetite of prospective subscibers who haven't had the opportunity to see the magazine, and for those of us who would enjoy reading them once again. A collection of some of your old stories would certainly enhance the quality of this site. Considering how much material BD has, its mind boggling that they choose to sit on it rather than include a small portion of it HERE. Also, I think that it would be somewhat of a "teaser" to include on this site, one feature from the current issue as they do on the P & B website. It seems that other, even more well known, national magazines use that successfully as a marketing ploy.

As you know, I played Rusty at the Players Club for many years, and can relate to your experience. Rusty has just moved to the Naples area of Florida, and is looking for some sociable straight pool games. He prefers playing on Brunswick tables with Simonis cloth and centennial balls. If anyone in that area knows of a place with such equipment, or has such a table in their house, and wishes to play Rusty, e-mail me with the particulars and I'll pass that information on to him.

George, here is a picture taken at The players Club about 1983 near the pool table, which I'm sure you'll recognize:

http://pooltournamentcentral.com/pics/MosconiPlayersClub.jpg

H. Lehman - P. Margo - R. Miller - W. Mosconi - M. sigel - H.Pearl

That photo was taken just after Willie had beaten Rusty in an exhibition match. - Howie

03-09-2002, 05:19 PM
Do not like to blow my own horn, but this was just too much!

It was in the 9-ball World Championships in Las Vegas 1991.

The format was race to 5 and win 3 sets out of 5. Played Mike Sigel in the second round and was down 1-5,0-5,1-4.....

All of a sudden, something happend! Managed to win the third set with 5-4. Won the next set 5-0 and in the decider, Mike started with 3 racks from the break. I went up and shot the whole set, 5 and out! Could not believe my eyes but I have it on tape. Will save that for as long as I live.

If I ever feel cocky, I just have to look at the first half of the match when I am being clobbered. If I feel down and out of shape, I can always look at the second half.....:-)
regards
Niclas Bergendorff / Sweden

03-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Q-Guy, great story, great comeback.

My question, though, centers on what has to be wrong with a person to subject himself to a tournament format of two-out-of-three races to 11. :-))))

Only kidding; though, if it were me, I'd opt for the root canal LOL.

- Steve Lipsky

Q-guy
03-09-2002, 06:53 PM
I much prefer it to double elimination. I would never hesitate to play that format. I played in tournaments in Europe, and the format was race to five, 5 out of 9 sets single elimination sort of like a tennis match. In double elimination, should you lose your first match, you may win enough matches on the loser side to have won the tournament and not finish in the money if you know what I mean. I would much prefer multiple sets.

03-09-2002, 07:19 PM
I still think Round Robin Should be the norm for the major tournaments (if you can call them that anymore). I think this format would be great for all players involved. Lots of matches for everyone. The top 64 players with the best records from their divisions then play in a Double elimination bracket for the championship.

Q-guy
03-09-2002, 07:55 PM
A good format is single down to 32 and redraw and play double. I played in a tournament in Holland at a place called Dikey (sp?) with 360 players that is how the handled it. Was not bad. My problem with round robin is the integrity of pool players. There is not a tournament played now where they don't have savers going all over the place. Buddy Hall who is a favorite to win any tournament he plays in and always has savers going. So does Rempy and Kennedy. I guess they have to do what they have to do, but I would not trust one of them in a round robin tournament. They would try to fix it, guaranteed.

03-09-2002, 08:12 PM
I am sorry Q-guy, I don't understand what you mean by "Savers" Could you please explain? Thank you,

Q-guy
03-09-2002, 10:57 PM
It is pretty much an arrangement among players to get a part of the other players money. You could finish out of the money and have part of the winner. It is not uncommon for the semi and final matches to be meaningless to the players. They have already planed to cut up all the money they win regardless of who wins the tournament. I was at one tournament where Kennedy and Parica played a final and Kennedy beat him 11 to 3. Parica did not even try, they had already cue up the first and second. The audience that paid to watch got cheated. If you know the concept of round robin. It calls for complete honesty by the players. It just don't exist. Could you imagine pool players playing a skins game like the golfers play. What a joke that would be. I don't mean to be so cynical, but poolplayers are historically their own worst enemies.

03-10-2002, 11:14 AM
You all look good with hair, Howie. Does the estimable Margatando still have his?

I agree completely that a smattering of magazine content would be a valuable asset to this site. Unfortunately, I have no idea as to what logistics would be involved, and it's not my call in the first place. GF

MaineEAck
03-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Last Year in Bangor Maine I was down 7-0 I went to 6 he went to 8, and I ran 3 racks, played safe, won that rack, and then ran 2 more I was so happy! and I didn't even realize that I had run 3 racks, If I had, I would have missed haha

Cuemage
03-10-2002, 11:35 AM
This isn't necessarily my greatest comeback, but it is definitely memorable. I was shooting in a rinky dink tournament in Boone NC (race to 3 I think).
GAME 1: I broke, ran to the 6 & missed, he ran out. 0-1
GAME 2: He broke, made nothing, I ran through the 8 & rattled the nine leaving it in the hole. 0-2
GAME 3: He breaks, runs 5 & misses, I run-out. 1-2
GAME 4: I break & make the nine! 2-2
GAME 5: I run out! 3-2 winner.
I had gotten really frustrated & felt I had given him every game. Anyway, this was earlier in my pool days & seems to stick out.

MaineEAck
03-10-2002, 11:42 AM
lol, we have a race to 3 good fun... anyone can win!

03-10-2002, 12:31 PM
George...Yes, "Guido" still has a full head of hair as you can see from the bottom picture that Carol took of him shooting at the recent charity exhibition at Amsterdam Billiards. Wish I could say the same. /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif:

http://pooltournamentcentral.com/pics/mikaetc.jpg

Yes, I know you have no control over what goes on the site, but just threw that out for possible discussion. Seems like now that the Webmaster has upgraded the message board, that the publisher might look into doing the same with its other web pages by adding some additional content from its magazine. I don't think they are getting as much "bang" out of this site as they coud be. - Howie

cheesemouse
03-10-2002, 12:47 PM
Looks like a ring game to me......where is the cheese???????

Rod
03-10-2002, 05:35 PM
I'm trying to remember, must be a senior moment.
Playing 14-1, 113 out to 125 and I don't remember who I played, pretty sad. Not in a tournament, played Louie Roberts a few times, he was up a little one time, and I run 9 racks and sent him packing. Belongs in another thread but it was a favorite moment. Of course I've had those 80+ runs fired at me also.
I run 350 balls this morning, I was so happy. Then I woke up and realized it was a dream. Thats funny to because I might have 1 pool dream a year, or lets say it's pretty rare.

#### leonard
03-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Playing the "Babe" Art Cranfield in an 800 point match at the Albany Golden Cue, down 609 to 429 at the start of the final block. Then I got on my high horse and ran 4 70s back to back and caught the Babe at 730 and nip and tucked it to win 800 -797.

03-11-2002, 02:49 PM
Wow, your friend must be some kind of player!!

I would rate my biggest comeback as one in a handicap tourney I played recently, it was a 9-3 race and my opponent won the first two games. From there he twice made the nine and scratched! At 6-2 I ran out the last three to win.