PDA

View Full Version : What's the call?

Cueless Joey
11-09-2002, 12:29 AM
Two guys are playing for cash.
Shooter nudges one ball and the ball hits another ball.
Player B claims foul even though they're playing cueball foul only. He claims interference due to shooter nudging two balls.
Scotty Smith is nowhere to be found. lol

Voodoo Daddy
11-09-2002, 12:40 AM
If the balls that were moved would impied the path of the cueball and they were playing cue-ball fouls only...the shooter has to accept where the other player replaces the balls. If shooter moves balls back before asking other player...it should be ball in hand. I think.....

Mike H
11-09-2002, 06:18 AM
I've always played it that if the shooter moves one ball, it's not a foul, but if another ball comes into play (i.e. the nudged ball hits another OB) it is indeed a foul.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-09-2002, 08:51 AM
Joey
You didn't mention if the shooter was in the act of shooting. It makes a difference.

If the shooter was not in the act of shooting, which I assume was the case, the non-shooting player has the option to keep the balls 'in place' or move them back to their original position.

If the shooter moves the balls twice, nuges them once and then tries to restore them to their original position, without giving the non-shooting player the option of doing it himself.. this is considered a foul.

When you accidentally move one or more balls, prior to the shot, play stops immediately. The non-shooting player has the option to leave the balls where they are or re-positioning them to their original position.

Cueless Joey
11-09-2002, 11:32 AM
Tom,
The shooter wasn't in the act of shooting yet. He was still stetching/maneuvering around the table and his cue hit one ball hard enough to nudge another ball.

smfsrca
11-09-2002, 11:51 AM
BCA Rule
3.21 FOULS BY TOUCHING BALLS
It is a foul to strike, touch or in any way make contact with the cue ball in play or any object balls in play with anything (the body, clothing, chalk, me- mechanical bridge, cue shaft, etc.) except the cue tip (while attached to the cue shaft), which may contact the cue ball in the execution of a legal shot.

TomBrooklyn
11-09-2002, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> The non-shooting player has the option to leave the balls where they are or re-positioning them to their original position. <hr></blockquote>I think the non-shooting player also has the option of having the shooting player put them back to their original position. =TB=

Mr Ingrate
11-09-2002, 12:43 PM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: smfsrca:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; BCA Rule
3.21 FOULS BY TOUCHING BALLS
It is a foul to strike, touch or in any way make contact with the cue ball in play or any object balls in play with anything (the body, clothing, chalk, me- mechanical bridge, cue shaft, etc.) except the cue tip (while attached to the cue shaft), which may contact the cue ball in the execution of a legal shot. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

You should have investigated some more. From the BCA web site re: rules:

1.16.1 CUE BALL FOULS ONLY
When a referee is presiding over a match, it is a foul for a player to touch any ball (cue ball or object ball) with the cue, clothing, body, mechanical bridge or chalk, before, during or after a shot. However, when a referee is not presiding over a game, it is not a foul to accidentally touch stationary balls located between the cue ball and the shooter while in the act of shooting. If such an accident occurs, the player should allow the Tournament Director to restore the object balls to their correct positions. If the player does not allow such a restoration, and a ball set in motion as a normal part of the shot touches such an unrestored ball, or passes partly into a region originally occupied by a disturbed ball, the shot is a foul. In short, if the accident has any effect on the outcome of the shot, it is a foul. In any case, the Tournament Director must be called upon to restore the positions of the disturbed balls as soon as possible, but not during the shot. It is a foul to play another shot before the Tournament Director has restored any accidentally moved balls. At the non-shooting player’s option, the disturbed balls will be left in their new positions. In this case, the balls are considered restored, and subsequent contact on them is not a foul. It is still a foul to make any contact with the cue ball whatsoever while it is in play, except for the normal tip-to-ball contact during a shot.

Getting in position is part of the act of shooting so it is NOT a foul.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-09-2002, 01:15 PM
Tom
Of course you are correct.

The act of the non-shooting player to give up the physical placement of the ob to the player at the table is considered a 'trusting' gesture.

Its always a good idea to check the table for the possible impact of the OB (or multiple OBs) (moving them back to the original position or letting them remain in place) to see if it will make a difference on subsequent shots.