PDA

View Full Version : Board Upgrade Today

ccboard_admin
11-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Dear Cue Chalk Board Posters:

Thank you for your comments on the suggestions forum. We have decided to make the following changes to the Cue Chalk Board: Registration of a working email address will be mandatory for all posters, and the archives will be coded as read-only. Additionally, the current board will be upgraded to version 6.1.1.

The forum will be closed briefly later today while the upgrade is installed. We hope these changes will improve your experience on the board.

Sincerely,
Billiards Digest Management

Alfie
11-11-2002, 06:44 PM
What is the rule for sending threads to the archives?

Merci,
Alfie

ccboard_admin
11-11-2002, 07:16 PM
For now will really have not set in stone any rules. We wanted to give the updated ccb a clean start so we moved over nearly all the past posts. As time goes and we get a feel for the usage of this board posts will be moved over to keep the current CCB from getting out of hand.

bluewolf
11-11-2002, 10:06 PM
do you have moderators from the ccbers? if so, would you like to tell us their names or do you wish their names to remain anonymous.

bw

Alfie
11-12-2002, 01:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ccboard_admin:</font><hr> For now will really have not set in stone any rules. We wanted to give the updated ccb a clean start so we moved over nearly all the past posts. As time goes and we get a feel for the usage of this board posts will be moved over to keep the current CCB from getting out of hand. <hr /></blockquote> I suggest archiving posts when they are 1 month old. That would be sufficiently long for any thread to mature. And by then everyone except for the newest of the newbies has had enough time to have their say.

nAz
11-13-2002, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> do you have moderators from the ccbers? if so, would you like to tell us their names or do you wish their names to remain anonymous.

bw <hr /></blockquote>
Good question.

nAz
11-14-2002, 12:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> do you have moderators from the ccbers? if so, would you like to tell us their names or do you wish their names to remain anonymous.

bw <hr /></blockquote>
Good question. <hr /></blockquote>

wonder if this will ever be answered?

TomBrooklyn
11-14-2002, 01:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr>I suggest archiving posts when they are 1 month old. That would be sufficiently long for any thread to mature. <hr /></blockquote>I'm sure all the lame posters and persons who write without adequate thought, and others who write things they are sorry for later, will agree.

I doubt if those bright enough to think about what they post, and bold enough to stand behind what they say, will feel the need to have their threads shut down to critical analysis or commentary in any period of time.

Did Winston Churchill ask that his speeches and writings be closed off to commentary after a month? Did George S. Patton ask for censorship? Did Alexander The Great and his generals pussy foot over everything they said and wrote? No. They made decisions, expressed themselves, and literally lived or died by what they said and wrote.

Apparently, there are some here who can't even live WITH what they write.

Pleasantville, here we come.

=TB=

Alfie
11-14-2002, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr>I suggest archiving posts when they are 1 month old. That would be sufficiently long for any thread to mature. <hr /></blockquote>I'm sure all the lame posters and persons who write without adequate thought, and others who write things they are sorry for later, will agree.

I doubt if those bright enough to think about what they post, and bold enough to stand behind what they say, will feel the need to have their threads shut down to critical analysis or commentary in any period of time.

Did Winston Churchill ask that his speeches and writings be closed off to commentary after a month? Did George S. Patton ask for censorship? Did Alexander The Great and his generals pussy foot over everything they said and wrote? No. They made decisions, expressed themselves, and literally lived or died by what they said and wrote. [it's getting a bit windy in here-- Alf]

Apparently, there are some here who can't even live WITH what they write.

Pleasantville, here we come. <hr /></blockquote> I agree with you, TB. Pleasantville, don't forget to say your please and thank yous god dammit.

Ccb_admin is set on archiving posts for whatever reasons. I sense it is a done deal. It's just a question of how soon. I don't want them to do it prematurely.

-- shooting for a compromise

TomBrooklyn
11-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Alfie:
When the computer servers that host these forums can no longer easily handle the volume of material is one of the main reasons material gets archived. The timeframes involved are typically measured in years, not months, and thats for forums ten to a hundred times this size. Some forums archive everything more than a year old, once a year, just to keep things orderly and work in round numbers.

I've unsuccesfully struggled to think of a worthy reason to archive material after a matter of weeks or months, as you and some others have suggested.

=TB=

Tom_In_Cincy
11-14-2002, 03:38 PM
Tom and Alfie,

I remember reading that the CCB Admin just archieved all the posts just before the upgrade. And explained that it was easier to do then rather than later.

You can still read the archieved posts and link them into a new post and carry on the thread.. if you so desire.

Alfie
11-14-2002, 03:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I've unsuccesfully struggled to think of a worthy reason to archive material after a matter of weeks or months, as you and some others have suggested. <hr /></blockquote>Well, ccb_admin began our latest make over by archiving threads started that same day!

The reason for my suggestion-- I'm going for a compromise.

nAz
11-15-2002, 12:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> do you have moderators from the ccbers? if so, would you like to tell us their names or do you wish their names to remain anonymous.

bw <hr /></blockquote>
Good question. <hr /></blockquote>

im still waiting...

wonder if this will ever be answered? <hr /></blockquote>

TomBrooklyn
11-15-2002, 02:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> do you have moderators from the ccbers? if so, would you tell us their names?<hr /></blockquote>Good question.<hr /></blockquote>Im still waiting...wonder if this will ever be answered? <hr /></blockquote>www.windycitywingchun.com/wav/afewtruth.wav enter this in a new browser window before reading

TomBrooklyn: You want answers??
Naz: I think I'm entitled!
TomBrooklyn: You Want ANSWERS??
Naz: I WANT THE TRUTH!!!
TomBrooklyn: You CAN'T handle the TRUTH!!!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by men with keyboards. Who's gonna do it? ...You? ...YOU, NAZ?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the great posters of the past and you curse the CCB. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that their leaving, ...while tragic, ...probably saved other posters. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves posts. You don't want the truth ...because, Deep Down, In places You Don't Talk About At Parties, ...You Want Me on this Board, ...you NEED me on this board.

WE use words like honor, code, loyalty. WE use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...You use them as a punch line. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then Questions The Manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "THANK YOU" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a keyboard and Stand At Post. ...Either Way, I Don't Give A DAMN What You Think You Are Entitled To.

TomBRooklyN
&lt;g&gt;

nAz
11-15-2002, 02:59 AM
OMG bahahahaha http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/lilly/hmm3grin2orange.gifhttp://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

Ludba
11-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Now, that be funny.

TomBrooklyn
11-15-2002, 10:27 PM
Ya, that is funny. Ya got to do it with the sound though, it don't work to just read it.