PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Pool Room

rackmup
03-07-2002, 08:02 AM
Having just moved from Arizona to Texas, I find myself comparing the rooms here to the rooms at home. I guess I am trying to find a room that feels as "comfortable." What makes your room, your <font color=green>favorite</font color=green>?

What is the name of your favorite room and what city is it in? How long have you been playing there?

Doctor_D
03-07-2002, 08:23 AM
My Favorite Room:

Amsterdam Billiards West
344 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, New York

Dr. D.

03-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Ken...Main things I want in a PH is darker than usual lighting(not a lot of windows), the nine footers laying off to the side away from the bangers, not a place with
"big teenagers" smoking and tugging their body piercing, booze reasonably priced, waitresses and bartenders who actually wait on you and not camp out on
the phone with their friends, music which isn't littered with the "F" word, action which collects rail birds and remote challengers...some other things I've surely
missed.

Make the drive to central/No. Dallas and try PHs there. I believe you said you were in Arlington, right????sid

BTW, Did you get the last e-mail from Skillman with free pool offers? sv

SPetty
03-07-2002, 10:55 AM
It sounds like you've just described CJs.

I got my free offers! Thanks again for setting me up with that.

stickman
03-07-2002, 11:19 AM
My favorite PH is about an hour's drive away in Joplin Mo. J-Town Billiards. It is an old converted IGA grocery store. It doesn't have a lot of windows, a clean fresh appearance, and a very nice atmosphere. It has lots of tables, I couldn't tell you how many. You can also get a good meal there. It is also a sports bar, with several TVs. Service there is good. Too bad it's an hours drive away. Most of the PHs around here have a dirty, dingy appearance. Not the types of places you'd want to take a date or your wife. This place answers all the poll questions except close to home. :-)

rackmup
03-07-2002, 09:07 PM
No on the email for free stuff. I snuck over to Hawley's today...what do you know about that place? I might slip over to CJ's tomorrow...Roger Griffiths used to live in AZ...might look him up to swap some old war stories.

03-08-2002, 09:15 AM
Ken...Hawleys is inexpensive pool through the day but you get the loud, young kids hitting the place around 4PM or so and then it gets clumsy to shoot, plus the
music is outrageous. Still I like Hawleys, I just won't stay late in the evening. The equipment is beaten some as you noticed, and that is due to the younger
players(imo.) The two nines near the front rail are nice tables, there's an internal "club" that has rights on those tables if they come in to play. You can get time
on them if they are open though. One thing I applaud Walter on is the fact that the tables are all Simonas cloth. You don't find that anywhere else thai I know
of here in Dallas, except Carsons.

Your e-mail must have been miss directed from Skillman. The St. Pat's party notice went out first of the week and it did include 2 hours anytime, or all day
Tuesday or Wednesday. Maybe you registered with another address? Just a thought...sid

rackmup
03-08-2002, 02:17 PM
Without a doubt, it's Kolby's Corner Pocket in Tempe, AZ.

An equal mix of Brunswick Gold Crowns and Gandys. Simonis on every table in the house. The balls are kept clean and polished and two new pieces of Masters is waiting in every tray.

The tables are spaced far enough apart that you feel comfy, the chairs are top notch (prevents butt pain when your opponent is in the zone) and just the right amount of light.

Good selection of music, cold beer and great food. Clean restrooms, small pro shop and nice people.

Not too many "bangers", some of AZ's top players can be found there on occasion and action is available almost any night of the week.

Tracy runs the tournaments and is a good guy (not a bad
1-holer either!)

It's located just down the street from Arizona State University so it has it's share of "eye candy" as well.

Texas will have to work to top my opinion of Kolby's.

Ken