PDA

View Full Version : Different textures on a shaft?

Buckster_uk
11-12-2002, 04:34 AM
I have been watching pool for quite a while now, and just started to play it, but there is one question I really want answered. All you guys will know it but I dont know a lot about pool cues (snooker is more me being British), but about 3/4 of the way down a shaft, the texture kinda changes, as you can see a change in colour, is this the fact that the cue is sandpapered down to that point, and then over time, it changes colour due to the chalk etc, or is it because of burnishing the shaft with leather?

caedos
11-12-2002, 07:38 AM
If I understand you correctly, you are referring to the 3/4+ part of the shaft on the tip end. What you are probably observing (your guess is right on) is what happens to any exposed wood. Where there is no finish to protect it the shaft collects dirt, chalk, oils, food, and whatever else touches it. The wood is exposed because it feels smoother, and if you decide yours needs "sandpapering" please use at least a 600 grit or a comparable pad (preferably 1000 grit or finer). Better yet, get a cue worker to seal it and polish it for you.

Oz