PDA

View Full Version : Pocketing the chalk..

11-12-2002, 05:38 AM
A long time ago, we had a discussion on here about people who take their chalk, and instead of putting it on the table, they pocket it.

At first, we were making fun of people who did it, but since I live by the rule "don't knock it till you try it..", I tried it.

I actually prefer this method now.. and during leagues, or tournaments, I take my keys and anything else out of my left pocket, and put my (master blue) chalk in my left pocket.. or sometimes my right.. doesn't matter, because what I've found is that:

A) I don't have to walk around the whole table looking for the chalk, at a point in the game where I should be concentrating on a difficult shot.

B) I lose less chalk cubes, because noone can steal them off the table, or I forget to get it after the game(s).

C) I don't have to go to my opponents table and ask him where the chalk is.

D) It's one less cube of chalk that I have to move before I get down on a shot.

The only problem with this method is the blue crap inside my pocket... which isn't really that bad.

Any ideas on this? I heard that snooker players always keep chalk on them, because they aren't allowed to set it on the table... ?? Hmmm..

Doctor_D
11-12-2002, 05:44 AM
Good morning:

I have always carried my chalk in my left pocket. I find it much more convenient, especially since I always bring my own chalk when I practice and/or compete. The only problem I encounter is when I am in a tavern with-out my equipment, and I have been asked to play a rack or two, and I pick up a house cue for a little R&R at the table I end up placing the chalk in my pocket out of habit. Oh how habit forming some procedures can prove to be.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dr. D.

caedos
11-12-2002, 07:23 AM
There are plenty of pocket chalkers on the market for you to choose from, and they don't take up much space. Try Mueller Sporting Goods at poolndarts.com, a local pool room with supplies, the Billiard Congress of America, or your local billiard supply store.

Oz

Karatemom
11-12-2002, 07:45 AM
I think to each his own. I know a few people who carry their chalk with them. I carry an extra piece in my case, but not around the table with me. I find that walking around the table to get it gives me a little extra time to think about the table and strategize, not to mention sometimes taking long enough to shark my opponent.

But if I were you, I would definitely get a pocket chalk holder for yourself. There will be a time when that blue dust won't come out of your clothes, unless of course, your wearing jeans and it doesn't matter anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

JMHO,

Heide

Rich R.
11-12-2002, 07:56 AM
Several of the former snooker players, now playing in the WPBA, have small leather pouches to hold their chaulk. The pouches clip to their belt or a pocket. They seem very handy, if you prefer to carry your chaulk, however, I have never seen them in a pool catalog. Maybe check a website specializing in snooker supplies.

eg8r
11-12-2002, 07:59 AM
Seattle-kid, you should PM rackmup and ask him about his little contraption (or maybe he will post it here).
He has a chalk holder that hangs out of this pocket. It holds the chalk in a little leather looking pouch and is attached to bar. He sticks the bar in his back pocket and then the chalk hangs out side of the clothes. This saves from getting chalk in your pockets.

I also, do not like chalk being taken from the table. The two guys I play pool with (rackmup and OnePocketChamp) both take their chalk back to their seats. I am going to have to get some of my own. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
11-12-2002, 09:03 AM
Hey Seattlekid, go here: http://www.poolndarts.com/store.cfm?cat=64

Personally, I think that Joe Porpers Quickdraw Chalk Caddy is the best because it's a clip thing that holds the chalk unlike the others which are magnetic and can slip off if your hand brushes against it or if you happen to brush against the table. Hope this helps!

MinnesotaSlim
11-12-2002, 11:05 AM
I got into the habit of using Master Gold chalk. This way no one else is in a hurry to grab my chalk for their blue tip. I have saved a lot of cash doing this. Also it makes me stand out a little bit.

rackmup
11-12-2002, 11:13 AM
This is the little doo-daddy that I use occasionally (mostly when playing league, as to prevent others from taking my Masters Blue):

http://azbilliards.com/marketplace2/image037.jpg

Mine came from a place in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon or Seattle, I believe) called "Beads & Billiards".

I got it after I mistakenly left a cube of chalk in my jeans and found it after doing the laundry. I ruined a very expensive Italian Golf shirt with this little booboo.

Regards,

Ken

Rod
11-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Kid, I don't play leagues but I have. I almost never concerned my self about having my own chalk. I believe there are 2 or three peices in my bottom pouch, I'd have to check. The room I play at has masters chalk. If at the bar, the guys are so concerned about having there own chalk, so I just use theirs. They leave it on the table. If I have to walk to pick up a peice that's ok, the shot will "wait on me."
It might do people some good walking around for a different view of the table/shot. It might help to slow them down a little, there's a lot of rabbits playing pool. Hurry up and make a mistake, if you get my drift. If you look around the room there's not a shortage of them! If one wants to carry their own chalk that's ok too. What ever works for ya, just don't be overly concerned by such, focus on the game.

11-12-2002, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Seattle-kid, you should PM rackmup and ask him about his little contraption (or maybe he will post it here).
He has a chalk holder that hangs out of this pocket. It holds the chalk in a little leather looking pouch and is attached to bar. He sticks the bar in his back pocket and then the chalk hangs out side of the clothes. This saves from getting chalk in your pockets.

I also, do not like chalk being taken from the table. The two guys I play pool with (rackmup and OnePocketChamp) both take their chalk back to their seats. I am going to have to get some of my own. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I have my own chalk, I don't steal it from the table ever.. especially if it's the silver cup chalk.. that stuff is worthless. I have a couple dozen-boxes of Master BLUE chalk at my house.. and usually take a couple cubes and put them in my bag.

I think it's a good idea to get your own chalk also, so you don't have to borrow.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11-12-2002, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> This is the little doo-daddy that I use occasionally (mostly when playing league, as to prevent others from taking my Masters Blue):

http://azbilliards.com/marketplace2/image037.jpg

Mine came from a place in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon or Seattle, I believe) called "Beads &amp; Billiards".

I got it after I mistakenly left a cube of chalk in my jeans and found it after doing the laundry. I ruined a very expensive Italian Golf shirt with this little booboo.

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for everyone's replies.. I've read 'em all.

I don't use a magnetic chalk holder, or anything like that.. mostly because I feel it gives the person I'm playing the idea that I'm a good shooter. Usually when I play, I try to look innocent and new to the game.. just as a funny thing that might, or might not, give me the edge in winning. I know that when I'm playing a guy who has his own chalk holder, or glove, or what-have-you.. I play more safeties and generally play alot more difficult than if I'm playing someone who pockets his/her chalk.. or leaves it on the table.

In leagues and tournaments around here, alot of people have the magnetic chalk holder, and the back-pocket holder. I just try to be as non-descript as possible.. does that make any sense?

Rod
11-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Quote SK,I don't use a magnetic chalk holder, or anything like that.. mostly because I feel it gives the person I'm playing the idea that I'm a good shooter."

Funny I view this exactly opposite.

Quote SK, I know that when I'm playing a guy who has his own chalk holder, or glove, or what-have-you.. I play more safeties and generally play alot more difficult" snip

Once again I view this the other way around. At any rate I surely wouldn't change the way I play based on a chalk holder, glove etc. If anything it looks amature to me. Sorry, JMHO. It's still is your choice though and I'd never suggest not to use one. The best way to play anyone is just consider them all world champions. Of course after a look at their first shot or two you might change your mind. LOL

MikeM
11-12-2002, 01:49 PM
http://www.floridafred.com/chalkpocket.htm

Fred Agnir
11-12-2002, 02:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Seattle-kid, you should PM rackmup and ask him about his little contraption (or maybe he will post it here).
He has a chalk holder that hangs out of this pocket. It holds the chalk in a little leather looking pouch and is attached to bar. He sticks the bar in his back pocket and then the chalk hangs out side of the clothes. This saves from getting chalk in your pockets.<hr /></blockquote>
They sell this at most billiard supply stores. The bar comes in plastic, anodized aluminum, or even bone. The "pouch" is in leather or plastic.
http://www.poolndarts.com/store.cfm?cat=64

I've had one for a couple of years, and really had never used it until the BCA Vegas tournament this year. You really needed to supply your own Masters Chalk, and suddenly the chalk pocket holder stick had a job. It seemed to be the most popular personal chalk holder at the tournament.

Fred

Fred Agnir
11-12-2002, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Seattle-kid:</font><hr> A long time ago, we had a discussion on here about people who take their chalk, and instead of putting it on the table, they pocket it.

At first, we were making fun of people who did it, but since I live by the rule "don't knock it till you try it..", I tried it.
<hr /></blockquote>
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6tmja9%24q28%241%40nnrp1.dejanews.com&amp; oe=UTF-8&amp;output=gplain

Fred &lt;~~~ uses chalk on a rope

bluewolf
11-12-2002, 04:02 PM
I take my own chalk because the chalk (although masters) is very worn out. I keep mine in my pocket and it cant be confused with theirs because theirs is blue and mine is green.

bw

Brent
11-12-2002, 04:28 PM
HI. I use red chalk and keep on the edge of the table for everyone to see /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif red is leet.

Brent is sometimes quite a poser /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooklyn
11-12-2002, 05:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>I ruined a very expensive Italian Golf shirt with this little booboo.<hr /></blockquote>What material was it made from?

11-12-2002, 05:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brent:</font><hr> HI. I use red chalk and keep on the edge of the table for everyone to see /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif red is leet.

Brent is sometimes quite a poser /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

i believe there is a federal law which requires that anyone using red chalk be taken into the parking lot and summarily shot.

after a short while the table looks like someone has been doing central american native indian religious practices with chicken. horrible stuff.

dan...yes, it's very leet.

OnePocketChamp
11-12-2002, 10:24 PM
For the last 20 years I have always kept my chalk in my bridge hand (holding it with my ring finger) while shooting, only placing it on the table when I have to bridge up against a rail. And I always use chalk that is new or has very little use, which means my bag always has 8 or 9 pieces of chalk in it. <font color="blue"> </font color>

rackmup
11-12-2002, 10:34 PM
A white linen blend. It had blue streaks that wouldn't come out. Funny thing is the chalk didn't melt through the wash.

Ken /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Brent
11-13-2002, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brent:</font><hr> HI. I use red chalk and keep on the edge of the table for everyone to see /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif red is leet.

Brent is sometimes quite a poser /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

i believe there is a federal law which requires that anyone using red chalk be taken into the parking lot and summarily shot.

after a short while the table looks like someone has been doing central american native indian religious practices with chicken. horrible stuff.

dan...yes, it's very leet. <hr /></blockquote>

Hahaahahaa..thats the second time today that uve made me laugh very hard. OK Il start using grey chalk from tomorrow:)

11-13-2002, 09:56 PM
florida fred.com.He makes a thing called a chalk pocket,it made from table cloth so it comes in many colors.It loops around your belt with velcro.Works great.

Vicki
11-13-2002, 10:10 PM
Based on the title of the post I thought you were talking about people who steal the chalk provided by the establishment. I mean take it off the rail and stick it in your case and leave in your car with the chalk... lol! It's my guilty conscience. The pool room where I play often has crappy crater chalk so I steal the nice pieces and use them while I am there then put them back in my case for future use. Is that really bad?!

Truth be told, I have used the chalk provided by Pool Room A when I go to Pool Room B - that is unjustifiable, isn't it?!

Anyone else want to confess????

Vicki &lt;---- Nice master chalk kleptomaniac!

SPetty
11-14-2002, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vicki:</font><hr> Anyone else want to confess????<hr /></blockquote>Hi Vicki,

I will only confess to having purchased a gross of Master chalk awhile back. It just might last me a few years... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rod
11-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Ok I'll confess. When I owned the room I had to supply new peices of chalk for several tables each day. Some days my new chalk (masters by the way) turned into old worn out peices. They were exchanged by players or missing completely as in ripped off. Well not such a big deal but, how would you like several people a day taking 50 cents or more from you? If you view it in that light, it's a little frustrating. On the good side, I busted a few doing this. I told them I would be happy to sell them a brand new peice for 50 cents. As it turns out I had a number of people buy a piece or two on occasions. I think they paid more attention where they put their chalk. If its free who cares, right? Vicki, your forgiven! LOL