PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Dayton Cues?

LC3
11-12-2002, 11:04 AM
I'd like to order a cue that hits second to none and has top notch workmanship. Would a Dayton cue fit the bill? I know it's subjective, but in terms of playability and quality (not necessarily artistry), how would you compare Dayton's cues with Southwest, Scruggs, and the other big guns (maybe putting them on a 1-10 scale)? Thanks.

Thierry Layani
11-12-2002, 03:43 PM
Paul is a good friend of mine. The craftsmanship on his cues is more than excellent and the hit is also very good. Definitely a good buy if you want something "traditionnal" in terms of aesthetic and playability.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

TalismanTony
11-12-2002, 09:51 PM
Hi LC3,

I own one of Paul's cues and it really is a beautiful piece of workmanship. All the inlay work is done painstakingly with an exacto knife by hand. I am not a very good player and do not have many other cues to compare it with, but the hit is firm and it just feels really good in your hands.

You can see my cue on Paul's web site Click here (http://www.daytoncues.com/htm/cue-pages1-31/cue_027.htm)

Even the hi res photos do not do this cue justice.

Kind regards,

LC3
11-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Thanks, Tony. I'm thinking about either the #7 or the #36, as I like a traditional cue. My priority though is playability, specifically a well playing shaft made of properly seasoned wood. I was impressed by Leonard Bludworth's article about shaft wood (www.timscruggs.com/shaftwood.htm), and I want shafts made according to that philosophy.

I might order a third shaft made from that wood recovered from the bottom of the lake. Do you think it's worth it?

Thierry, thank you for your input. A recommendation from a cuemaker of your reputation means a lot.

DLB
11-13-2002, 09:57 AM
I actually am expecting the arrival of a Dayton Cue today. Ití #45. After many years of playing and thinking about the perfect cue for me it is a hand made, real points cue, no inlays, nothing fancy, just a quality traditional looking cue. I knew that I wanted an ebony forearm, I like the forward weighting ebony offers and I like the look of ebony, the amboyna in the points sets the cue off very well. It is absolutely gorgeous and the fit and finish is excellent. The Daytoncues.com web site picture does not do the cue justice. I also have a flat faced ivory joint on the cue and I love the hit. Iíve used the piloted metal on all of my other cues. I actually received this cue a couple of months ago and I had to send it back to Paul because of the shaft taper dimensions and he has made two new shafts for me. Both shafts are made of the old virgin forest maple he speaks of on his web site. Paul was wonderful and completely accommodating concerning the remaking of the shafts. Iíll let you know how it hits. Hopefully Iíll be playing with it tonight. BTW, I sold a Scruggs to buy this cue. <font color="blue"> </font color>

Bob C
11-13-2002, 10:10 PM
I have two Dayton cues that I have had for about a year: a #43 and matching merry-widow break/jump cue. The hit of his cue, with a water buffalo horn joint, is superb. I would say it is similar to a Southwest or a Bender. Also, I give Paul high marks for his customer service and business integrity. I sent my butt back to get a matching Predator shaft made and he didn't like a spot on the finish so he repaired it at no charge. His delivery time is also very reasonable.

BTW, Paul told me he no longer uses an Exacto knife to do his inlay work.

Bob C