PDA

View Full Version : Origin of your screen name?

Popcorn
11-12-2002, 12:09 PM
I have been reading this board for some time and have always been curious as to the reason behind certain screen names. Anyone care to disclose the meaning behind their names?

PQQLK9
11-12-2002, 12:50 PM
I once saw a VA vanity tag (LQQK) where the word LOOK was spelled with Q's to resemble eyes. So I came up with PQQL EYES and then PQQL K9 (no space allowed here)...because Q's and "9" have some meaning in pool...hence the nickname pool dawg (New York accent and hip-hop flavor).This might be more than you wanted to know /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif my time would be better served practicing instead or thinking up stupid screen names /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif...

Rich R.
11-12-2002, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I have been reading this board for some time and have always been curious as to the reason behind certain screen names. Anyone care to disclose the meaning behind their names? <hr /></blockquote>
There is no deep dark secret. It is just my name. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato
11-12-2002, 12:58 PM
Ask Voodoo, he gave it to me. Some thing about the Green Hornet and sidekicks or something /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato

Alfie
11-12-2002, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Anyone care to disclose the meaning behind their names? <hr /></blockquote>
http://www.behindthename.com/nm/a2.html
ALFRED English, French
Pronounced: AL-fred
Derived from the Old English element ælf "elf" combined with ræd "counsel". Alfred the Great was a 9th-century king of Wessex who fought unceasingly against the Danes who lived in the northeast of England. He was also a scholar, and he translated many Latin books into Old English. His popularity helped to ensure the usage of this name even after the Norman conquest (when most Old English names were replaced by Norman ones).

The reason I chose it was because it starts with an "A". There are no other reasons I am aware of.

Please, tell us about "Popcorn". :-)

Mr Ingrate
11-12-2002, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Ask Voodoo, he gave it to me. Some thing about the Green Hornet and sidekicks or something /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Hi RJ,

Kato, the Green Hornet's sidekick, was played by none other than Bruce Lee.

stickman
11-12-2002, 01:09 PM
I went by Redrock from high school til something like a year ago. My last name is Redstone, so that's an easy one to figure out. Then I had the idea that I'd like to get into cue repair. I was messing around at the computer, playing with ideas for a business card, and came up with the stick figure holding a cue, and the name Stickman. I have since figured out that there would probably not be enough repair work for me in my local area to offset the cost of equipment, for a long, long time. I wanted some professional quality equipment, so that professional quality repairs would be easy. Anyway, the name and the figure seemed to be a good choice for a pool forum, not to mention that I am 6'6" and slim. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackmup
11-12-2002, 01:35 PM
"Good game Ken, Rack 'em up and let's do it again. By the way...could you move my marker up one more game please?"

Unfortunately, my screen name comes from the very drill that I practice most often in the pool hall...racking.

Regards,

Ken

Karatemom
11-12-2002, 01:39 PM
You can't be too young to remember that one. Even I remember that. Didn't like him much back then but sure wish he was still around.

Heide

Karatemom
11-12-2002, 01:43 PM
Mine is from that fact that I have a 10 year old 2nd degree brown belt in sho rei ryu and ryu kyu kempo karate. Hence, Karate - Mom. I would love to take up the sport, but just don't have the time, I'd have to give up pool (yeah, right) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Heide ~ knows enough to break an arm or two /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheesemouse
11-12-2002, 01:44 PM
cheese= nineball
mouse= computer, ergo&gt;&gt;&gt;cheesemouse /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MinnesotaSlim
11-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Well, it all began with a boy and his dream.....

From Minnesota. Very skinny. After watching "The Hustler" for the thirteen thousanth time it hit me.
Minnesota Fats = Minnesota Slim, allthough I will never claim to be as good as Wanerone.

Good topic!

Popcorn
11-12-2002, 02:00 PM
When I was a kid I worked in a movie theater and made the popcorn. It was made in the back room and the I would pop it and bring it out in a tub and dump it. Because I was in that room with the popper I smelled like popcorn all the time even after a shower. I would go to the pool room after work and as soon as I walked in you know I was there. So they began calling me popcorn. I have been called it all my life now. There was another guy in the room that worked in a seafood place and they called him fish. I smelled better though.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-12-2002, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Ask Voodoo, he gave it to me. Some thing about the Green Hornet and sidekicks or something /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

and Kato in the "Pink Panther" series was played by

http://www.channel4.com/media/community/P/pinkpanther_cato125x125.jpg

Burt Kwouk

"Kato, my little yellow friend, I am home."

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-12-2002, 02:18 PM
I am Wally in the Natti but it was too many charachters.

Kato
11-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Kato was also Peter Sellers butler in the Pink Panther movies. You'll have to ask Voodoo which I am.

Kato

9 Ball Girl
11-12-2002, 03:25 PM
9 Ball Girl

9 Ball is my favorite game.
And, yup, I'm definitely a girl!

Wendy~~last time I checked I was /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
11-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Miami Voodoo Daddy came from my football days. A group of my friends/family would hang a banner over the rail at the stadium where we played that read; "Voodoo Daddy's Coming". They said I looked like I was possesed with Voodoo, double and triple teamed and still got by them.I would make a tackle and they would chant "Voodoo, Voodoo", it pumped me up no doubt. When I went to college there was a guy that was from La. called Voodoo. So they called me Miami Voodoo Daddy. Kato got his name from me...and I will never tell if its Green Hornets or Pink Panther's Kato...let 'em suffer!!!

Chris Cass
11-12-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi RJ,

I always thought it was because your toes are shaped like K's. hahahahahahha

Regards,

C.C.~~and I ain't no cornboy..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
11-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Hi Popcorn,

Cass here. I was in a bar and we had to write my name on a blackboard to get to play. I was like 4th down so I wrote my initials CAJ. Well, came time for me to play one of the guys were yelling, "Cass". I turned and sure enough it was me. They'd mistaken my initials for my name. It stuck and I kind of like it.

Regards,

C.C.

Kato
11-12-2002, 09:24 PM
You ain't no cornboy? Son, you ain't got nothing but corn. CornPops, Popcorn, Corn on the cob, creamed corn, corns on your feet, Jimmy crack corn.

Kato~~~knows the Cass man is ALL about the corn....and a lil pool.

Chris Cass
11-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Darn,
I thought it would be more interesting than that Voodoo. I thought you learned Voodoo from Louisiana from some Voodoo princess. Making little Voodoo dolls of players you want to destroy. Chanting with small brass smoking church type stuff and rooster feet dripping in blood. Oh well, I was wrong. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
11-12-2002, 09:45 PM
I am part native american by blood. I was given the name bluwolf by those higher up in the tribe. I am Lakotawith and am of the wolf-clan. I have a special gift for communicating with wolves and earning their trust.

I am writing a book called 'i had a wolf'. Without going off into deep spiritual things, I guess that is the skinny of how I got my screenname.

bw

cueball1950
11-12-2002, 10:57 PM
cueball came from when i was a CB junkie. whenever i travel and have a cb in the car. i still use it. 1950 comes from the year i was born/////////////////////mike <font color="red"> </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris Cass
11-13-2002, 02:28 AM
Can Only Run Nine Balls Out, Yea..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ludba
11-13-2002, 04:17 AM
First day of my junior year in high school, my English teacher was going around the room for roll call, calling out names. He said that if we wanted to be called by some other name than the first name on his list, we should tell him. He got around to calling my name, Caleb, and I asked to be called Abdul. Being the exceptionally white boy that I was and bearing little or no resemblance to a middle easterner, this got quite a few laughs.

'Abdul' backwards is 'ludba.'

stickman
11-13-2002, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>Kato got his name from me...and I will never tell if its Green Hornets or Pink Panther's Kato...let 'em suffer!!! <hr /></blockquote> You left out OJ's Kato. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
11-13-2002, 10:20 AM
This is interesting. Your first thought is that names are picked out of thin air, but thought goes into them and they have meaning to the posters.

11-13-2002, 11:15 AM
Because I'm Barbara's alter ego AND her "Evil Twin"!!

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

Babs

eg8r
11-13-2002, 12:59 PM
Which screen names are the certain ones you want to know about. lol

Mine is eg8r, e stands for my first name Ed, and g8r is a wonderful way to spell gator on the internet (you will never see someone use this spelling anywhere else in the world. Just the internet). I went to the University of Florida and their mascot is the gator.

By the way, rackmup got his nickname from when he was younger. He would play the big boys in pool and all he ever heard was them yelling rackmup. He would lose so often, that he just starting answering whenever someone said it. He also goes by "guppie".

eg8r &lt;~~Just guessing on rackmup's nick

nAz
11-13-2002, 02:11 PM
i hear his real name is AlRack /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-13-2002, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Univerysity of Florida <hr /></blockquote>

Do they teach spelling there? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just kiddin' dude /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally~~likes <font color="blue">Kentucky</font color> but also likes Billy Donavan a lot too....

rackmup
11-13-2002, 03:07 PM
While it is true that I spend the majority of my playing time at the racking end of the table, that is not how I came to earn the nickname of "rackmup".

The name of our APA team in AZ was "RackMup!" and it was also my personalized license plate.

The nickname "Guppie" is two-fold; It was first bestowed upon me by Mr. Steve "Abear" Hebert, a local cue builder. He was the first person to help me learn the game of one-pocket. After days of struggling with my new-found game, I asked Steve how long it would take to become proficient at one-hole. His reply?

"To become a Shark in this ocean of one-pocket players here in Texas you must start out at the beginning and you my son, are just a guppie."

The name didn't stick until I proudly added the "Christian Fish" zipper pulls to the zippers on my Instroke case.

Regards,

Ken (likes "Guppie" because it is yet another one of God's creations)

eg8r
11-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Ooops. I usually will double and triple check my post to make sure there are no typos. I am completely upset with myself to allow a fan of Kentucky to catch my mistake. I might have completely blown our chance of winning the SEC. lol

eg8r

eg8r
11-13-2002, 03:50 PM
Very funny. lol

eg8r

eg8r
11-13-2002, 03:52 PM
I like the name of your new team the "Busch Liquors". lol

eg8r

heater451
11-13-2002, 05:17 PM
During my high school years, a paintball playing buddy joked about my nickname being "heater", because it's a take on my surname.

Several years back, I used it in chatrooms, but had to re-register in one of them. Since the system considered 'heater' still taken, I appended the "451", which I stole from Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 (the temperature at which paper ignites). Many people guess the origin of the digits. . .

In my time on the web, I have also been told that "heater" is another name for a handgun.

=================

Wally_in_Cincy
11-14-2002, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Ooops. I usually will double and triple check my post to make sure there are no typos. I am completely upset with myself to allow a fan of Kentucky to catch my mistake. I might have completely blown our chance of winning the SEC. lol

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Here's a pic. It may load slowly.

Some of the rabid <font color="blue">U of K</font color> fans were upset about Pitino going to <font color="red">U of L</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/kty/galleries/kty-baskbl122901/a-fan-kty122901-lg.jpg

SpiderMan
11-14-2002, 05:18 PM
I've been called "SpiderMan" for about a dozen years, as long as I've been involved in the local pool scene. My BCA teammates started it because of my "contortionist" ability to crawl all over the table to reach a shot, while still keeping one foot on the floor (I'm 6'3", with a lot of inseam).

The local Clicks used to have their walls covered with caricatures of regulars drawn by a local artist. My picture had me in some sort of impossible pose, reaching for a shot, in the familiar blue-and-red costume.

Wish I'd gotten that picture when they redecorated, Ray (the artist) died a few years ago and it would have a lot of sentimental value.

SpiderMan

Warren_Lushia
11-15-2002, 01:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Univerysity of Florida <hr /></blockquote>

Do they teach spelling there? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just kiddin' dude /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally~~likes <font color="blue">Kentucky</font color> but also likes Billy Donavan a lot too.... <hr /></blockquote>

wally, when speaking as a kentucky fan, please spell donovan correctly /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

warren..&lt;-- /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r
11-15-2002, 06:53 AM
That is pretty funny. Man he is up there with some of the big names, go Rick. lol Some people are always associated with the greats in one form or another.

eg8r

Fred Agnir
11-15-2002, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I am part native american by blood. ... I guess that is the skinny of how I got my screenname. <hr /></blockquote>

I hope you get a kick out of this one:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2aIb6.5755%24KJ3.319896%40newsread2.pr od.itd.earthlink.net&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;output=gplain

Fred

Fred Agnir
11-15-2002, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Anyone care to disclose the meaning behind their names? <hr /></blockquote>
When I started posting to forums and newsgroups, the majority of posters used their real name. As things progressed, there seemed to be a need for a little privacy. For some reason or another, I never bothered going to anything like:

FredA
Fred in MA

or anything like that. However, given the following two URL's, I may have to do something about that:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~lawrpaul/medianct/d17/i0025647.htm#i25647

http://home01.wxs.nl/~quaed016/norscaswgr.html - Find "Agnir" on this page.

Regards,

Prince Frederick the Great

Popcorn
11-15-2002, 11:41 AM
I don't think it has to do with trying to be secretive or anyone has evil intentions. I think it is a good idea to keep things about yourself confidential in general. I am in the phone book but do not list my address. I don't want to be unlisted should someone need to get a hold of me, but in the same respect don't need someone coming to my door I don't know either. I had a wake up call years ago when I was in a pool room where there was to be some big action. Guys came in with shotguns and robbed the place. I bet they got $50,000 just out of the players and side betters pockets. That was a major score, better them robbing a bank and who is going calling the cops. It seemed like to many people knew what was going on. These groups can be fun but I think it best to watch what you say sometimes especially about yourself. I definitely would not say so-and-so is playing so-and-so for $10,000, for a lot of reasons. I read where Grady Mathews brought this up some time back.
What is the old joke "Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean someone is not out to get you."

heater451
11-15-2002, 11:54 AM
Fred, the Chippewa bit reminded me of a story that a friend told me.

He was returning to the States from Europe, when the highly inebriated passenger sitting next to him asked "what he was".

My friend replied, "I'm Indian."

To which the person responded with:

"I know that, but what kind, feathered or dotted? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(He's not 'Native American')

================================

TomBrooklyn
04-15-2003, 02:27 PM
Mine is based on my actual name and where I live.

UWPoolGod
04-15-2003, 02:47 PM
I was pissed at trying to figure out a handle for some other site, since all were taken that I wanted, so I came up with this one. I go to the University of Washington and have been the champ for four years and beat up on the past ones that graduated while I have went here. Now that I am about to graduate I may have to make up a new one.

04-15-2003, 03:22 PM
The crew adopted that name for me during one of the photo shoots for a magazine.

L.S. Dennis
04-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Back in the early sixties (60' 61' 62') my father owned a liquor store in Redwood City Ca. Directly across the street was Hall of Famer Dorothy Wise's billiard room called Sequoia Billiards. Well being a kid, it wasn't long before curiosity got the best of me and I crossed the street to see what was going on in this mysterious place. Well needless to say I was hooked immidiately and spent a lot of time in there. Everybody in there began calling me "liquor store Dennis" and well the rest is history!

JosefS
04-15-2003, 11:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hawaiian Fantasy:</font><hr> The crew adopted that name for me during one of the photo shoots for a magazine. <hr /></blockquote>

You a bikini model or something?

SecaucusFats
04-15-2003, 11:37 PM
I'm big and fat 6'1" 270 lbs, I live in Secaucus New Jersey, and I am obsessed with pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Secaucus Fats

bluewolf
04-16-2003, 04:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I hope you get a kick out of this one:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2aIb6.5755%24KJ3.319896%40newsread2.pr od.itd.earthlink.net&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;output=gplain

Fred

<hr /></blockquote>

I just reread this. That is such a cute story, Fred.

Laura

bluewolf
04-16-2003, 04:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Mine is based on my actual name and where I live. <hr /></blockquote>

Not your whole name. I was so used to seeing TomBrooklyn, that when I called your cell and got another last name, I thought 'huh, do a have the wrong number?' dumm dumm

The joke was on me.

Laura

randyg
04-16-2003, 06:24 AM
randyg.......Randy Goettlicher BCA Master Instructor CUE-TECH Pool School Dallas Texas

sliprock
04-16-2003, 10:01 AM
My screen name is a spin on a character of the Flinstone's cartoon named Bad Luck Schleprock. Several years ago, I used to gamble at about anything. Pool, poker, golf, craps, anything. Well for about a month solid, everything that I done, seemed to result in a loss. I wasn't losing because of bad plays,but because of bad luck. If I was playing pool against someone much weaker than me, they would always make that very low percentage combo on the 9. In poker, I had Aces full the first 5 and threw in averything but the Kitchen sink, only to be beaten by 4 of a kind on 7th street. In craps, I could bet even money against someone making a 4 and lose. One night when I was waiting for a seat to open up at the poker table, my buddy got up to use the restroom. I asked him if he wanted me to catch a few hands for him. He replied "Stay the hell away from my cards bad luck sliprock". The name stuck, thankfully the Gods of probability started doing their job, and those times when I was "supposed" to win, I was able to book the winner. I learned a valuable lesson though. Even though you have the best of a game, there is no guarantee that you will win.

Jimmy Mendoza
04-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Uhh

9 Ball Girl
04-16-2003, 10:35 AM
9 Ball is my game.
Ask me again, and I'll tell ya the same.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p29d68ee69a5e019087441f7e27304f97/fc54033f.gif

CarolNYC
04-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Carol is my name and I live in NY!-now a friend of mine said she was from a tribe called the "Fugauwee" and I said I never heard of them-she said,"Well, everytime I go somewhere, I say where the Fugauwee!"ha ah ahaha
Carol~also,Kalola:):)

Rod
04-16-2003, 12:56 PM
I'll get back to you on that. On another note I have used RodnAZ.

~~~ rod, that's what most folks call me

9 Ball Girl
04-16-2003, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I'll get back to you on that. On another note I have used RodnAZ. <hr /></blockquote>

RodnaZ?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Please don't tell me that you're Naz's doppelganger!

Rod
04-16-2003, 03:34 PM
No I have enough people I can haunt, besides NYC is to far away! LOL

04-16-2003, 04:22 PM
OMG another nAz in the world?
That would be wicked /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
04-16-2003, 05:41 PM

rackboyut
04-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Well, mine comes from the simple fact that when i started out, like most everyone else, i was racking most of the time. So as an insult a few people started calling me Rackboy and it kinda stuck.

wolfdancer
04-18-2003, 01:26 PM
I had two obvious choices for mine, that related to my own name ...
The central figure in "Dances With Wolves" was Lt. JJD
or I could have selected something like Stalag17...the traitor was Lt.Dunbar
Dave, since you are obviously a Green Hornet trivia buff..he was the grandson of the nephew of another famous person..who?

Candyman
04-18-2003, 01:30 PM
My wife is named Candy. I'm her man.

04-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Not sure which came first, the bad job or the bad attitude, but I was employed as a youngster toting hackers' bags around what I then called the Kickinthecrotch Country Club.

You were expected to turn up around first light, I think, so you could have the chance to do 36 holes, hauling around 2 sets of amazingly heavy bags belonging to 4 lousy golfers.

I didn't much like getting up early, or doing more than 18 holes unless I was absolutely broke, so I'd stroll into the yard at about 10:30, and Joe the Caddiemaster would say: Hey, everybody, here comes the Afternoon Caddie!

Still sleeping through the rush hour after all these years.

#### leonard
04-18-2003, 05:02 PM
I went by Dick Leonard till the board put on a filth filter and Dick became #### I have stayed with it for the last 5 years or so.####

nAz
04-18-2003, 05:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AsianX:</font><hr> OMG another nAz in the world?
That would be wicked /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Good someone to take my place when im out of here /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-19-2003, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>Dave, since you are obviously a Green Hornet trivia buff..he was the grandson of the nephew of another famous person..who? <hr /></blockquote>

Lone Ranger

Ok I cheated. Could not resist the temptation of cramming more useless trivia into my brain.

http://www.otrcat.com/greenhornet.htm

wolfdancer
04-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Wally, to further enrich your knowledge, www.endeavorcomics.com/largent/lr1.html/ (http://www.endeavorcomics.com/largent/lr1.html/)
Britt is the grandson of John, the L.R.'s brother, and owns the paper, courtesy of the L.R.'s silver mine. Kato is R.J. Benoits great grandfather......