PDA

View Full Version : Object ball frozen to cushion?

smfsrca
11-12-2002, 12:50 PM
BCA - cue ball contacts a cushion.
Texas Express - Cue ball to another rail.

What is the rule in your area?
What is the pro rule, say, for the US Open?

Steve in CA

Wally_in_Cincy
11-12-2002, 01:05 PM
APA -----cue ball contacts a cushion.

Rod
11-12-2002, 01:09 PM
I wasn't aware a rule existed in TE of going to another rail. Maybe I need to read the rules again? That would prevent a judgement call, whether the c/b hit the o/b first or rail first, without going to another rail and not pocketing the o/b. We play a modified version, using the BCA rule and make a call if rail first.

smfsrca
11-12-2002, 01:30 PM
I wasn't either until it came up in a recent tournament. So I looked it up on the TE internet site:
http://www.billiardsdepot.com/texexp/rules_sec6.htm
Part (3) of the frozen ball rule clearly states "another rail"
I have been using the BCA version ("a cushion", not "another cushion") for years. I incorrectly assumed the TE rule was the same.

Steve in CA

Rod
11-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Steve, So it does, interesting. Guess you have to learn this one the hard way. It's not common at all but could happen as you know. One thing about that, the ball must be declared frozen. Whether the game has a ref or not, it's not likely one is going to call a frozen ball just in case a foul might happen. Did the person involved call the ball frozen?

smfsrca
11-12-2002, 02:07 PM
This was a match between two other players and they were in a disagreement over the ruling and asked me what the rule was. I quoted the BCA rule and said that I thought TE was the same. Well, I was wrong. All of the tournament directors around here (Northern Cal) use the "any rail" rule.
Steve in CA

11-12-2002, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> I wasn't either until it came up in a recent tournament. So I looked it up on the TE internet site:
http://www.billiardsdepot.com/texexp/rules_sec6.htm
Part (3) of the frozen ball rule clearly states "another rail"
I have been using the BCA version ("a cushion", not "another cushion") for years. I incorrectly assumed the TE rule was the same.

Steve in CA <hr /></blockquote>

this may just add to the confusion but:

it's o.b. frozen, not c.b. frozen. rules don't care about c.b. frozen.

also, at least by bca, where it says another rail that means a cushion attached to another rail. there are 4 rails and 6 cushions.

dan