PDA

View Full Version : Accu-Stat videos

pass
11-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Hi all, I am thinking about ordering some of the accu-stat videos and was wondering if anybody has any recommendations on one they thought was really good. I think maybe an 8-ball or straight pool match would be interesting.

Does anybody know of any place to get these besides the accu-stat website? 25 or 30 bucks seems kind of expensive.

Thanks!

Wally_in_Cincy
11-13-2002, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pass:</font><hr> Hi all, I am thinking about ordering some of the accu-stat videos and was wondering if anybody has any recommendations on one they thought was really good. I think maybe an 8-ball or straight pool match would be interesting.

Does anybody know of any place to get these besides the accu-stat website? 25 or 30 bucks seems kind of expensive.

Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=23833&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

8-ball: Roger Griffis vs. Efren Reyes (2001)

14.1 : Ralf Soquet vs. Efren Reyes (2000 semi-final)

TomBrooklyn
11-13-2002, 09:46 AM
You could become an Accustat member which will save you $4.00 per tape. This will also entitle you to the excellent annual or semi-annual sales that Accustats offers to their customers which will allow you to pick up any number of tapes at half price.

Then, after you've got a few and watched them a bunch of times, instead of putting them on your shelf with the good intentions of watching them again; but actually having them just clutter up your home and your mind for years to come, you could trade them with other tape collectors like me for some new ones; thereby providing you with an everchanging vibrant stimulus to enhance your game for the mere cost of postage.
=TB=

eg8r
11-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Hello pass,

One thing to start off with, is this board does not like people complaining about the prices for Accustats tapes. A couple years ago I stated that maybe the tapes could be sold for cheaper and still make a profit, but that got shot down.
As to your main question, without a doubt the best straight pool tape to get IMHO is the Sigel vs Zuglan tape. Sigel runs 150 and out after Mike's break. He plays almost flawlessly and really only gets into bad position once the entire game.
For a straight pool video that I think is terrible is ME-09: Nick Vlahos def. Earl Strickland. From what I understand Nick is/was a pretty good straight pool player but this tape does not show it and at the same time it shows how bad Earl played the game at that time.

eg8r

pass
11-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I ordered the Souquet-Reyes 14.1 match. Now I just have to wait for it to get here

eg8r
11-13-2002, 03:44 PM
I object to [ QUOTE ]
actually having them just clutter up your home and
your mind for years to come,<hr /></blockquote>Anybody that is doing this MUST send me a PM requesting an address to send these videos to.
Actually I watch mine over and over, then loan them out, but I want them back because I might have forgotten something and need to watch it again.

eg8r

rackmup
11-14-2002, 09:19 AM
http://www.recoveryusa.net/pics/soberhouses-196x81.gifhttp://www.floridatreatment.com/images/program.gifhttp://www.floridatreatment.com/images/sunset.jpghttp://www.floridatreatment.com/images/nav/about-ov.gifhttp://www.centerstone.org/images/logo.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody that is doing this MUST send me a PM requesting an address to send these videos to.
Actually I watch mine over and over, then loan them out, but I want them back because I might have forgotten something and need to watch it again.<hr /></blockquote>

Him: "Hello, My name is Ed Newman and I have been videoless for three days."

Them: "Hi Ed!"

Him: "It all started several years ago with a Strickland tape. I only watched it now and then and thought I had it under control. But the next thing you know, I was ordering tapes everyday."

Mentor: "Tell us more Ed."

Him: (with tears in his eyes) "I joined their stupid club. That's when I knew I had an addiction. I lost my job, my car...everything."

Them: "It's okay Ed. We love you."

Mentor: "Please Ed, continue."

Him: "One day, my VCR broke. I couldn't get it to play. IT WOULDN'T PLAY! How was I going to feed the 'monster' that I had created? I was so confused and messed up that I actually pulled the tape from inside the cassette, taped a flashlight to my forehead and held the tape up to the light in an attempt to see the videos frame-by-frame."

Mentor: "What happened next ED? Please, tell the class."

Him: (now sobbing) "My wife walked in on me."

Mentor: "Go on Ed, tell the class what she saw."

Him: "I was sitting on the floor, in my Ismael Paez autographed 1991 US Open boxer shorts, no shirt...I had written 'Accu-Stats tapes rule!' in ink on my bare chest. I had that light taped to my head...I hadn't shaved for days and I was eating only cubes of pool chalk..."

Mentor: "Do you need to take a break, Ed?"

Him: No, I'm fine. I want to get this off my chest."

Mentor: "Good. Continue."

Him: "Well, my wife held me and helped me get the flashlight off my head and the tape out of my hair...she told me she had heard of this program...a 12-step Accu-Stats tape detox program...and...here I am."

Mentor: "We are glad that you are here Ed. Who would like to go next? How about the gentleman wearing the 'Grady Mathews Rocks!' diaper? You sir...what is your name?"

Another victim: "My name is OnePocketChamp and I have been videoless for..."

As you can see people, these tapes, while helpful, can lead to a lifetime of abuse. Don't fall into the trap. If you think you might suffer from tape addiction, please contact your local detox center.

Regards,

Ken

eg8r
11-14-2002, 09:24 AM
LOL, you are too funny.

eg8r

PoolFan
11-14-2002, 02:42 PM
About that Valhos vs Strickland tape? What was the deal with that ref?

Mike H
11-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Hi Pass, there are some poolhalls that rent out Accu-Stats tapes (usually for a better rate than your local video store rents movies). You don't own them, but for the $2 or $3 it costs to have it for a week, it's more than worth it.

TomBrooklyn
11-14-2002, 06:36 PM
I haven't seen that. What PHs do you know that rent out tapes? Tom

eg8r
11-15-2002, 07:07 AM
LOL, I am sorry, but I don't remember much about the tape other than, I have only watched it twice. I did not like the tape, and the second time I watched it was to show someone how bad Earl played straight pool at the time.

eg8r

AndyG
11-15-2002, 07:11 AM
Tom, I've been renting tapes at my room, (Starcade Billiards in Ft Walton Beach, FL) for several years. Currently, we have a collection of about 140. It's a mix of Accu-Stats and instructionals from Byrne, Kinnister, Grady, etc.

It's certainly not a cash cow, but many customers appreciate the opportunity to see them. Tapes rent for $3 for 1, $5 for 2, and $7 for 3, for a period of 4 days. Amazingly, we've lost 1 tape in a period of about 6 years.

You might approach your local room, and suggest a rental program. If I can help, let me know.
AndyG.

TomBrooklyn
11-15-2002, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AndyG:</font><hr>You might approach your local room, and suggest a rental program.<hr /></blockquote>I'm going to do that. It would be great for the players, and I think the pool hall would benefit too. Not just from the tape rental income, but providing that service would create an additional inducement for a customer to go to the PH, and watching the tapes will have the tendency to increase interest in the game and desire to practice and play in general. =TB=

PoolFan
11-15-2002, 03:05 PM
In the early portion of the match, the ref picked up the 15th ball while racking for Valhos.

I'm very aware of this, because I was the ref of that match. Funny mistake. The whole room gasped at that moment. Stickland got up from his chair and placed the object ball back where it was.

Valhos was a real class guy. He didn't care. He continued his run off that break ball.

Valhos truly did not show his complete speed in that match. Whenever he had a questionable shot, he played safe leaving Strickland with long tough cut shots. Nick knew that it was driving him crazy. Strickland would shot for it and would miss and leave Nick in good shape.

As I remember, Strickland started the match out with a nice run of about 50 or 60 balls. But once Nick started, he would run 20 balls and play safe. And the strategy worked.

Now, what people don't know is what followed that match. Since Strickland lost that match, he had to play another match following it. Obviously, as you are pointing out, Strickland is not a Straight Pool player. In his next match, he ran over 100 balls. To continue his run at one point, he played a cross-side bank as a BREAK ball and made it.

I completely agree with your assessment with Strickland's Straight Pool game and if you are a Straight Pool fan, you'll hate watching this guy play Straight Pool like a 9-ball player. Another Accu-Stat video like that is Archer vs. Carter in the '92 US Open Straight Pool. Archer ran 150 and out, but it was in a 9-ball fashion.

I also agree with you about the Zuglan vs Sigel '92 US Open match. Sigel's 150 and out was the best ever found on tape. I don't know if you know this, but after that match Zuglan had to play Ray Martin. Martin broke and Zuglan ran 148 balls and missed a routine combo to get out and duplicate Sigel's record.

Another good 150 and out on Accu-Stats tapes is the '89 US Open Straight Pool Sigel vs Rempe. Bad part about this tape is there was no commentating, but Sigel broke, Rempe made one ball and played safe. Sigel then went on to run out. At that time, that was a US Open record for the fewest innings in a US Open Straight Pool tournament. Obviously, Sigel broke that record in '92.

Pool Fan - loves Accu-Stats videos and Straight Pool

NH_Steve
11-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Nick was one of New England's absolute favorite players, but sadly he died from a brain
tumor at the age of 44 -- not too long after that straight pool tournament in Maine. He had a simply beautiful smooth stroke, and was a really pleasant soft spoken guy, too. IMO, if he had wanted to, he could have pushed his game to a level right up there with any top player of the last 20 years anywhere in the world, but he was content to treat the game almost like a hobby. Yet he still was one of the best around. He is sorely missed /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.roadplayer.com/NickVlahosFlyer.html