PDA

View Full Version : How to Practice SAFETY ? Drills ?

bigbro6060
11-12-2002, 06:07 PM
I play mainly 8Ball. The only Safety drill i can think of is i break the balls, then try to hide the cueball totally from one set of colors, then i try to escape, then i try hide it again. It's not terribly exciting !

I do like game/scoring orientated drills like Fargo and progressive drills, i can play them for hours. Drills which are very repetitive, i can only handle for an hour.

so if anyone has some cool safety drills, that would rock /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ludba
11-12-2002, 06:19 PM
This is a great question. I was just thinking about incorporating safety drills the other day. I'm not averse to long boring drills (mainly because I think the boring ones are usually more conducive to improvement), so I'm probably going to put the dull ones in my routine. But I was just reading Capelle's Play Your Best 9-ball, wherein he was talking about playing a game like 9-ball where you play for points. The way to get points is to safety and leave your opponent hooked, so that he gives you ball-in-hand. I'm gonna check the book again to make sure I'm relaying this info correctly, but even I'm not, this would probably be a fun exercise to improve your safes.

dddd
11-12-2002, 09:30 PM
i was told the prime consideration is the q ball control.
place a ball on or near the rail about the second diamond. place q ball along the 2nd diamond and some distance away from the ball and rail.
play a safe off that ball and control the speed of the q ball. try to put q ball and object ball together on or next to the rail. imagine failure to to so would leave him the winning shot. make it a pressure situation
play to just get the q ball to the rail, that is your motive
hint: only it it hard enough to get q ball to rail
slow easy hit.

bluewolf
11-12-2002, 10:07 PM
I watch really good safety play from those who are excellent at this. I, then, go home and try the same safety on my table. Safety is very much about cb finess so i practi c that also.

bw

Mike H
11-12-2002, 10:27 PM
Hi Bro, the way you're practicing safety play is a pretty effective tool, but it's a discipline also worth practicing in other games, such as 9-ball, straight pool, and one-pocket. Safety play consists of two key aspects: controlling the cue ball and controlling the object ball. Before you attempt to execute, decide exactly where you want both the CB and OB. After you execute, evaluate what you've done. Could you have controlled the CB better, perhaps freezing it on another ball? Could you have created more distance between the balls? If you think you could've done a little better, set up the same layout and try again. Also, after awhile, you'll notice certain safety opportunities present themselves more than others. These are worth some extra time and effort at the practice table.

eg8r
11-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Hello bigbro6060,
I personally love to play safeties. I like the way people look disgusted when they notice they do not have a shot at the table and if they miss, I have a chance to run out (the run out part is fantasy). I practice playing safe by throwing a couple balls on the table and trying to hide behind them. In 8 ball one safety that I really like to use when I have shot in my balls is to freeze the cue ball on the opponents ball (usually trying to get to a side that does not have any other balls in sight). The closer you get to freezing your ball on theirs the better (you better start with getting REAL close).

I played in an 8 ball league tonight as a sub on rackmup and onepocketchamp's team and did alright. I went 2 for 2 but really blew a great chance at 3 and 1. Anyways, the guy I played for my last win was really discouraged with the safety play. The first safety I played pretty much stumped him. The table was open but I pinned him behind two balls that did not go in any pocket ( I did not have any decent balls to play myself) and he was right near the pocket so he could not go backwards. He tried a not so bright, hit it as hard as possible, shot and left me the table. My luck, I only got one ball, but safetied him again. He missed, I ran to the 8 and missed an easy side pocket shot. For some reason, the guy decided to shoot at the same side pocket. Well when he missed the shot, he left me with an easy shot on the 8 to win it.

eg8r <~~~Played in 8ball league tonight for first time.

smfsrca
11-12-2002, 11:17 PM
The first and most useful safety play you must master is sticking the cue ball in the center of the end rail farthest from the object ball. You will use this move more often than any other.

Most speed contol in play and practice involves speed of the cue ball. Spend some practice time developing a feel for speed of the object ball.

You must develop accuracy when shooting caroms. Play some straight rail carom billiards. You can do this on a pocket table as well as a carom table.

Object ball speed and caroms will be 2 most useful skills you can develop for safety play which you don't use for most shotmaking.

Steve in CA

bluewolf
11-13-2002, 04:51 AM
thanks for bringing this up. I am generally pretty good at safetys and when I miss it is eithe lack of cb speed control and how much energy was transferred to the ob and the rail. In my drills, with cb only, I practice hitting it one rail, one half a rail, one quarter of a rail and then try to hit it two inches. I also set up specific shots on the rail so that I can learn the other factors too.

One safety i need to learn is a thin cut on my ob around the head spot and then freeze the cb on the rail. I am not quite there yet since the cb comes out from the rail an inch about 80% of the time.

I just do these twice a week because I am focussing most of my time practicing cut shots so my pocket percentage will improve.

bw

11-13-2002, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> I play mainly 8Ball. The only Safety drill i can think of is i break the balls, then try to hide the cueball totally from one set of colors, then i try to escape, then i try hide it again. It's not terribly exciting !

I do like game/scoring orientated drills like Fargo and progressive drills, i can play them for hours. Drills which are very repetitive, i can only handle for an hour.

so if anyone has some cool safety drills, that would rock /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I think the easiest and best way to practice is to start simple. Learn how to do a simple nudge, then learn how to nudge the cueball into a ball on the rail, and leave it right against it, then work on hitting a ball about half of a table-length, and getting the cueball behind a few balls that you've put out on the rail or somewhere.

Then work on one-rail nudge shots. Then work on hitting a ball off the rail, and keep the cueball and object ball the same distance off the rail.

Then set up an easy shot that will send the cueball to the center of the short rail on one side, and an object ball to the short rail on the other side of the table.

Then work on locking balls up together. Then work on doing one-rail and lock a ball to another ball (trying to prevent from forming a makable combination).

Work on thinly hitting an object ball, and sending the cueball to a desired place on the table.

The name of the game is "speed control!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jjinfla
11-13-2002, 06:59 AM
There is a game where you score points everytime you successfully safe your opponent. But, I have never played it and forgot where I read it. The problem is finding a partner who wants to play it. Jake

eg8r
11-13-2002, 07:02 AM
Well, I can assure you rackmup will not play this game. He does not like safeties, almost like fire and forget. lol

He also does not like to play the 3 foul rule when playing for fun. I think it is fun to hook a guy 3 times in a row. Not rackmup, what does he do, he picks the ball up and hands it to me and says take another shot./ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
11-13-2002, 08:03 AM
For safety practice we play an 8-ball game where you pocket one ball then you have to play safe on the next shot. It's much more fun than safety drills.

Or start playing straight pool. That will improve your 8-ball defense considerably.

bigbro6060
11-13-2002, 07:35 PM
thanx for all replies /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DEADSTOKE32
11-13-2002, 08:37 PM
Ok I'll tell.First you get 3 balls ,And see if you can slow roll one ball at a time to the headrail.Once you get the speed of the table down,try to make all three balls close to the head rail . Once u get all the balls as close to the rail as you can,try going one long rail then hit the short rail. This will help with speed ,When you'r playing safety, you must learn speed control... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif