PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on cloth Please

cueball1950
11-12-2002, 08:32 PM
you opinion on which cloth is better. Simonis 760 or 860. Which plays faster. Lasts longer. And your reason why. The question if for a 41/2x9 table. thank you for your input.........mike /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
11-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Mike,

When I had my table installed, I had Simonis 860 put on. I thought that would be a good thing, but after a couple years, I wanted the faster cloth - the 760. I can adjust to slower cloth, but I have a hard time adjusting to faster cloth.

Just a personal preference.

Anyone else wnat to share adjustment stories?

Barbara~~~~below the points radar system and seeking help...

Rod
11-13-2002, 01:54 AM
Mike,
760 is faster and 860 wears longer. If you play a lot of nine ball, 860 will take a beating. I don't remember the numbers but if 860 is a 19oz cloth, then 760 would be about 17oz as a comparison. 760 is a thinner cloth. One thing I would question is the condition of the cushions. If the rails are firm and quick then 860 would be my choice. If the rails are a little soft then 760 would speed it up. The only problem is the cushions would still be a little slow and a quick bed. I'd replace the cushions if needed. I've played on both and 760 is a little fast for a good table.

Paul_Mon
11-13-2002, 05:56 AM
The 760 will play faster than the 860. That said, IMO it is more fun to play on the faster cloth but the drawback is that it does not wear as nicely as the 860. I've got 5 year old 860 on my table and it still plays very well. I've considered recovering with 760 and asked for opinions here and the general feeling was stick with 860.

jjinfla
11-13-2002, 06:38 AM
We had 760 installed on two of our tables at our club 16 months ago and I like it. But our rails are not very lively. One thing the 760 does is leave a white dot where the cue ball hops as in the break. A call to Simonis informed me that was because of the greater rayon/nylon? content in the cloth. And it doesn't bother the play but does not look very attractive. There is another variation called 860HR which is humidity resistant that is supposed to be very good. Suggest you call Simonis and talk with the rep there and see if you can get their brochure. Jake

JimS
11-13-2002, 08:20 AM
I decided on 860 because that is the cloth that is sort of the default cloth in rooms around the country and I'd not have to make great adjustments in my play should I be playing in a hall in Timbuktoo or Slippery Rock or whereever.

11-13-2002, 04:56 PM
I'm looking to get a pool table in the next couple weeks and I too have been looking into the diffenent types/brands of cloths. I've been leaning toward the Simonis cloth, but I recently read about Grantio Cloth. Does anyone have any playing time on Granito cloth? Does anyone know how it compares to the Simonis cloth? Thanks in advance for your help

cueball1950
11-13-2002, 10:55 PM
i should have posted differently i think. must come from getting old. i was just wondering what everyones preference is. The room where i play only uses 860 as does Mike Zuglan where i play once in a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifto the poster who asked about granito cloth. We had it on our billiards table for 3 cushion. it played fast but i do not think it held up very well. The story i got was that it is used primarily on 3 cushion billiards tables. How true. i don't know. never checked into it. Maybe 1 of our more learned posters can answer that question. Mike