PDA

View Full Version : Predator cue, is it worth it?

11-13-2002, 05:53 AM
I am thinking of buying a Predator cue. For those who have one, are you satisfied with your choice and do you think the 314 shaft does make a difference in your game or the feel. <font color="green"> </font color>

Paul_Mon
11-13-2002, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineballwizard:</font><hr> I am thinking of buying a Predator cue. For those who have one, are you satisfied with your choice and do you think the 314 shaft does make a difference in your game or the feel. <font color="green"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

I'm convinved that the 314 is the lowest squirting cue available. I have used one exclusively since 1995 and can honestly say that it makes the game easier for me. I continue to try out other cues and they do have better characteristics than the 314's. Things like feel and feedback are muted by the 314. The best way to go is to purchase a 314 shaft fitted to the butt of your choice.

Paul

Perk
11-13-2002, 06:03 AM
This thread has been battled over and over. You will get alot of good reviews, as well as predator bashing. To answer your question:

IMO, Predators shoot very well. I have had 3 different Predators (SPJ/2k2/3K1). I personally will keep shooting with them. As with any cue, it takes a small amount of time to get used to the hits when applying english. You can generate alot of power and spin with the 314 shaft.

The way to find out is to hit someones Predator, or go to a place that sells them and lets ya hit some first. You will either enjoy it, or become one that doesnt like the 314 shaft.

Anonamus
11-13-2002, 07:21 AM
I play with a predator shaft on a Schon cue and it works good for me. You can shoot a shot hard when the need arises and not have to adjust too much for the deflection. Also, since the shaft doesn't deflect as much, more energy is transferred to the CB and you can put more power on the shot with less effort. That's about the only time I notice a difference.

There are high quality shafts that cue builders make that are one piece and just as good as the predator but that takes private stock wood that most customers just can't get. You need to have a good relationship with a cue builder to get that quality wood. So for the common folk the predator shaft on your favorite butt is the most realistic way to go.

=k=
11-13-2002, 08:25 AM
i like the 314 shaft. my other shaft was a bit to whippy.. i am going to put a new tip on shortly as it seems to have lost something..?? k

phil in sofla
11-13-2002, 05:46 PM
Those who don't swear by the Predator design, swear AT the design. Doesn't seem to be many in the middle.

While opinions vary, I like my 314 very much. It's a little hard to say how much it helped my game, because I was in a period of pretty fast improvement when I got it anyway. But I did notice immediately that I no longer had to correct the aim line for deflection, but could aim exactly the same as if I were hitting center ball, despite using enough stroke and English that I'd have had to compensate the aim line with my standard shaft.

That's what it's supposed to do, and that's what it does for me.

Alfie
11-13-2002, 05:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> But I did notice immediately that I no longer had to correct the aim line for deflection, but could aim exactly the same as if I were hitting center ball, despite using enough stroke and English that I'd have had to compensate the aim line with my standard shaft. <hr /></blockquote>"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone."

jbullerjr
11-14-2002, 12:51 AM
I am trying to make the adjustment right now, it is not an easy move. I just can't seem to trust the cue, seems like I can hit with the same speed and get very different results. The cue seems to hit the ball very hard if you are right in the "sweet" spot of the cue-ball (I don't know maybe a 3/4" circle), but if I get outside that (esp. on slow touch shots) speed is very unpredictable.
I am not giving up though, I can certianly feel/see the advantages.

The really unfortunate thing is:

I JUST (2 WEEKS AGO) SOLD MY SCHULER TO BUY THIS CUE.

I fully intended to buy another, nicer, Schuler to replace the one I sold, but with Rays' untimely passing, there is no telling what will happen to the price of his cues.

R.I.P. Ray Schuler. Honest, brilliant man and DAMN what a cue.

J.

Voodoo Daddy
11-14-2002, 02:01 AM
If you dont mind paying top dollar for a Falcon butt and a shaft with a hollow center...just not with my dough!!

11-14-2002, 07:53 AM
Ok...what site has the best deal on price for a Predator shaft only?????? www.???????.com let me know please...Thanx...

truelight
11-14-2002, 02:28 PM
I'm just wondering why you sold the Schuler. I tested the Predator against my Schuler and the Schuler was more consistant and had less deflection. My Schuler Shaft is a custom European taper 12mm Hercules medium tip, 29" long.

By the way, Brian Trim, who has been making the Schuler cue for several years, may be taking over the business. He told me that he doesn't intend to change anything. Thank God, best cue I ever played with.

Cueless Joey
11-14-2002, 02:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Richard Cranium:</font><hr> Ok...what site has the best deal on price for a Predator shaft only?????? www.???????.com let me know please...Thanx... <hr /></blockquote>
Hawleys, seyberts, onthehill and billiarwarehouse.

jbullerjr
11-14-2002, 02:58 PM
I sold the Schuler because I intend to buy a nicer one. I had played with many Schon/Predator combo's (every one of my teammates plays with this combo), and liked the way they played.
I went the Falcon/Predator route, there IS a difference.
I will still buy another Schuler cue, still the best cue I have ever played with.

J.

jbullerjr
11-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Try www.billiardstore.com (http://www.billiardstore.com)

Fran Crimi
11-14-2002, 03:31 PM
Hi Jim,

I spoke with Cathy Schuler today and read her your post. She said to tell you hi and she remembers who you are. She also asked me to clarify a few things. She is still very much involved in Schuler Cues at this point and she's back at the shop working normal hours. She complimented Brian's fine craftsmanship in working the production of Schuler cues, which has been for the past year, rather than the past several years, though. As for Brian taking over Schuler Cues, she says she's not exactly sure what you mean by that; it's a little premature to say exactly what will be in the future, as she's not totally sure herself. She also invited you to feel free to give her a call at the shop if you have any questions.

Fran

truelight
11-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Actually, I spoke to Brian over the phone and he was the one who spoke of the possibility of his taking over the business. I just hope that whoever takes over will maintain the same standard that Ray established.

I was just about to purchase a Schuler Jump/Break cue and now I see that they are no longer available thrrough most of my sources.

12-02-2002, 10:41 PM
That's a tough question to answer. I wasn't sure either, so instead of buying a whole predator cue, i just found a 314 shaft that fit my Mali M-18, and re-tipped it with a Talisman tip. It took a while to get used to it, it's differences are certainly noticable. I think the shaft is definately worth the $200, but I have seen prettier cues for cheaper. I would suggest getting a 314 shaft to fit your cue, and if you like how it plays. They hold there resale value pretty well if you don't like it.

silverbullet
12-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Well, i get the impression that a person can get into an inexpensive predator for less than 300. It still has a 314 shaft. There are so many other nice cues that I know nothing about and some marvelous custom cue makers like blackheart, but for me, I just want something that shoots nice and wont warp if I take care of it.

I guess it is a personal thing. There are so many, how can one say just one is the 'hot number?' geez.

Laura