PDA

View Full Version : Call on 9-ball breakshot?

CarolNYC
11-13-2002, 05:53 AM
Opponent breaks the rack,cueball flies off pack into corner pocket,pops out,rolls along rail ,back onto table and kicks the 9-ball in-unbelievable-Just goes to show-anything can happen!Whats the call?
Carol~wish I had a vidoe on this one!:)

Vicki
11-13-2002, 08:23 AM
Ain't that the way!!! It is my personal opinion that when the 9 ball is made on the break it should be spotted. It irks the daylights out of me, as a player or spectator, to see someone make the 9 on the break and earn a win. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif I think calling the 9 ball on the break and having it luck into your called pocket is criminal and grounds for capital punishment. It is a loophole in the rules of 9 ball that you can win on the break. I'm sorry to see it happen to anyone but when the cueball was IN THE HOLE and came out... oh my, I can't think of words to describe the injustice. My condolences.

Vicki

PQQLK9
11-13-2002, 08:59 AM
FOUL!..."ON the rail means OFF the table"...rack'em buddy u lose. Now if it came back directly on the TABLE...now that's OK... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
11-13-2002, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Opponent breaks the rack,cueball flies off pack into corner pocket,pops out,rolls along rail ,back onto table and kicks the 9-ball in-unbelievable-Just goes to show-anything can happen!Whats the call?
Carol~wish I had a vidoe on this one!:) <hr /></blockquote>
I can't quote the rule, but as long as the cue ball did not hit anything but the parts of the table, i.e. chaulk, I believe it is a legal shot and, unfortunately, you lose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I will defer to those with the rule books.

Alfie
11-13-2002, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I will defer to those with the rule books. <hr /></blockquote> Everybody here has a rule book.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/rules/rules.htm

Rich R.
11-13-2002, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> Everybody here has a rule book.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/rules/rules.htm <hr /></blockquote>
One thing I have learned since I started reading this board, there are many sets of rules. In many situations, the call depends on which set of rules you are following. Although I have not checked the set you provided, I believe it is a fairly standard rule, as long as the ball hits nothing beside the table and its parts and ends up back on the bed of the table, it is a legal shot.

Alfie
11-13-2002, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> http://www.wpa-pool.com/rules/rules.htm <hr /></blockquote>
One thing I have learned since I started reading this board, there are many sets of rules. In many situations, the call depends on which set of rules you are following. Although I have not checked the set you provided, [...]<hr /></blockquote> No, Rich, these are THE rules. ;-)

Troy
11-13-2002, 11:09 AM
If I read Carol's question and your answer correctly, it is not a foul. Can't beak luck tho... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Check this from BCA Rules ---
"3.28 BALLS JUMPED OFF TABLE
Balls coming to rest other than on the bed of the table after a stroke (on the cushion top, rail surface, floor, etc.) are considered jumped balls. Balls may bounce on the cushion tops and rails of the table in play without being jumped balls if they return to the bed of the table under
their own power and without touching anything not a part of the table. The table shall consist of the permanent part of the table proper. (Balls that strike or touch anything not a part of the table, such as the light fixture, chalk on the rails and cushion tops, etc., shall be considered
jumped balls even though they might return to the bed of the table after contacting items which are not parts of the table proper)."

Ain't rules fun..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> FOUL!..."ON the rail means OFF the table"...rack'em buddy u lose. Now if it came back directly on the TABLE...now that's OK... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

CarolNYC
11-13-2002, 11:22 AM
Hey Vicki,
You are funny,"my condolences-injustice" ha ha ha ha-Imagine if we had to call every shot in 9-ball? Boy, that would set people for a loop!ha ha ha-This opponent was a league opponent,I spotted him the 7-ball-Im the 9-ball-he beats me 9-7 and jumps around saying"Wow,I cant believe I beat you" so, I got a little cocky there and just said,"Yeah, maybe with a little more practice you'll be able to play me straight up and be the 9-ball but by then,I'll be a plus 2,ha ha ha ah- I know its cruel, but i couldnt hold back!
Stay well!
carol

CarolNYC
11-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Im with you pool dawg,
But the league director called it a win for him-oh well!
Carol~glad we think alike!:)

CarolNYC
11-13-2002, 11:31 AM
Maybe if I were standing near the pocket the cueball popped out of and caught it,it would be different!ha ha ha-but rules are rules!
Thanks,
Carol

Rich R.
11-13-2002, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> No, Rich, these are THE rules. ;-) <hr /></blockquote>
I don't know if I can agree with you Alfie. In addition to the rules you sited, I know there are BCA rules, APA rules, TAP rules, Texas Express rules and I'm sure there are others. Since I am not schooled on all the various sets of rules, and their differences, I will not debate this issue further.
However, using the rules you sited, I believe I made the correct call. The shot described by Carol was legal.
See rule 3.28.

Rod
11-13-2002, 12:47 PM
Oh Carol, remember that song? Well anyway the shot as described is not a foul. If it rolls on to the surface without striking anything other than the table proper, it is a legal shot. Chalk etc is not part of the table. I know the rule and have seen it happen many times. Sorry, the TD made the correct call. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara
11-13-2002, 06:20 PM
Carol,

If the cue ball didn't hit any foreign object that was not part of the table (eg: piece of chalk - not part of the table) and returned to the table under its on power, then it looks like the shot is good.

On the Accu-Stats Blooper I tape, this actually happened and was recorded.

Where you the shooter when this happened??? Where you also wearing headphones too by any chance??? Was this at our last tournament??? And just who were those less-than-polite fans, anyway???...

Barbara~~~Carol's been asking a LOT of questions lately....

Vicki
11-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Cruelty is having that cue ball come out of the hole &amp; kick in the 9. If he was gloating then he deserved to have you rub it in a little that you are still a better player. I would have done the same thing. Cruel you and not... honest you are. That's a good thing!

V

CarolNYC
11-14-2002, 05:10 AM
Barb,
This was at my pool hall,not a tournament,I was sitting,not wearing headphones(cause YOU said Im not allowed,ha ha ha)and the spectators are getting a fish thrown at them,ha ha ha,compliments of Voodoo!ha ha ha
Carol~wants Barb to ease her mind!Just sharing experiences!

CarolNYC
11-14-2002, 05:14 AM
Yes,Rod,
Thank you!ha ha ha-it just really s--ks!:)
Carol~likes "smooth"Rod!:)