PDA

View Full Version : Flip or Lag for break?

jjinfla
11-13-2002, 06:46 AM
Do you prefer to flip or lag for the break? Flipping is more luck while lagging is more skill. But lately I have noticed that flipping a coin on the table has the result of cutting the cloth. Especially when people use a heavy half dollar or silver dollar. Check the tables where you play and you will notice all the little nicks. Jake

Vicki
11-13-2002, 08:13 AM
I would rather lag. Some of the tournaments around here require that you lag rather than flip a coin. I always try to lag in league play because most of those guys can't come close to the rail but, predictably, their ego requires that they try to match skills with a "girl". Some of the guys are on to my game and occasionally they come to the table real quick and throw the coin up. I don't call it and when it lands I hand it back to them and ask for a lag. Burns them up. I start most matches with a mental advantage.

Vicki

Doctor_D
11-13-2002, 08:17 AM
Good morning:

I much prefer the lag over the flip of a coin.

Dr. D.

rackmup
11-13-2002, 09:42 AM
OnePocketChamp flips one of those Saqajawea dollar coins and I swear, it comes up tails 90% of the time so practice your lag against guys like that.

Ken

Fred Agnir
11-13-2002, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Do you prefer to flip or lag for the break? Flipping is more luck while lagging is more skill<hr /></blockquote>
I don't mind flipping. I personally think that the idea of lagging being skillful doesn't place the other player or the different table conditions in the equation. Factor it all in, and even the most skillful player is bound to be near 50% in winning the lag. I'd like to see that stats on the pros and their winning-the-lag percentage.

I'm sure someone will pipe in and tell me now that they've won some ungodly amount of lags... Bear in mind that in my last two tournament where we flipped every time, I won all but two flips. I've had some tournaments where I don't win one. So, streaks will happen. If you didn't freeze the lag every time, then you were fortunate that your opponent didn't.

Fred

Rich R.
11-13-2002, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> OnePocketChamp flips one of those Saqajawea dollar coins and I swear, it comes up tails 90% of the time so practice your lag against guys like that.

Ken

<hr /></blockquote>
Ken, you don't have to practice your lag for guys like that, just call "Tails". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackmup
11-13-2002, 11:08 AM
OPC isn't stupid. He knows that thing comes up tails most often than not so what does he do? As he puts his cue together, he tosses me the coin and says:

"Go ahead and flip while I put my cue together."

I flip, knowing he's going to call tails and guess what? He usually wins.

It's no big deal...he doesn't break very strong anyway.

Regards,

Ken

11-13-2002, 12:29 PM

Rod
11-13-2002, 12:36 PM
A lag is in my favor but a flip is ok to. I'd rather lag before a ring game.

Vicki
11-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Tonight I lagged it within a 1/2 inch of the rail. She got it within 1/4 inch. She knows the value of a good lag too. I tried to get her to go best two out of three but she wouldn't. That witch!

Vicki

(Just kidding, Amanada) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vicki
11-13-2002, 09:43 PM
The only unfortunate thing about having an all-women's team is that the men in our league want to beat the crap out of us. They try harder to beat us than every other team. The way they bear down on us we need a good psychological advantage. The lag is a good way to get that but there are others. I don't want to give away ALL the secrets of the great female contingent so we'll talk privately next time I see you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vicki

Scott Lee
11-14-2002, 07:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I'm sure someone will pipe in and tell me now that they've won some ungodly amount of lags...
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Damn right! 17,622 and still counting! LOL

My advice? ALWAYS lag over flipping a coin. A coin flip, by nature, in the long run will NEVER be better than a 50/50 proposition. A lag (yes Fred, it IS a skill shot) can be won between two amateurs as high as 80-90% of the time (for the player who practices it, and does so on different table sizes and conditions). Between pros, the one who can adjust to the playing conditions more quickly usually will win the lag. For those who don't know, a "lag" equates to shooting the OB into the pocket, with the CB, so that it just falls in...or ino, a soft shot.

Scott Lee

Voodoo Daddy
11-15-2002, 01:06 AM
Nice to see Vicki postin'... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vagabond
11-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Howdy,
7 out of 10 times I control the flip and I get what I want.I do not cheat and I will toss it as high as u want. cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

nAz
11-22-2002, 11:58 PM
Lagging is best why leave thinngs to chance? i usualy give the break away anyways /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 12:01 AM
Hi V,

I won 26 flips straight against one guy. We counted them each time. Now I ask what did it land on? He just tells me heads, who didn't know that.

Regards,

C.C.~~likes the mate thing... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif