PDA

View Full Version : Getting A Mentor

TomBrooklyn
11-13-2002, 09:19 AM
How does one get a mentor?

rackmup
11-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Most of your nicer hotels will leave one on your pillow at night. I don't know how to answer the second part of your question as it appears you failed to finish it.

[ QUOTE ]
"How does one get a ment or..."<hr /></blockquote>

A ment or what?

Regards,

Ken

Tom_In_Cincy
11-13-2002, 09:52 AM
Tom

mentor def. "A wise and trusted counselor or teacher"

Finding a mentor is difficult. Getting one to be your mentor is even harder.

I don't think I have come close to seeing someone that fits this definition for POOL. I do think there are mentors available, but not in Cincy.

Please let us know how you do in your search.

Chris Cass
11-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Hi Tom,

It's a pool caddy is what we all need. Someone that can sit back and tell us when we're about to do something stupid. LOL Mentors, are hard to find, as Tom said. What's even harder to find is someone who really cares about what we're screaming about while kicking ourselves in the butt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I have more people asking questions to me all day long than I need. I deal with it differently with each one. I don't want to coach anyone but sometimes, I'll run across someone that's not trying to bleed me. Making me feel like a sucker for helping them. Someone, who will occasionally ask a question. Someone, that doesn't want to bother me and will work hard on what I've told them in confidence. I'll see it and then don't mind sharing my time with them.

Carol, makes me feel this way. Although, she has tons more knowledge with the people she plays with. It's nice to be a little help. Everyone now days seems to want something for free. It's those that give the respect is what I see right from the get go.

Regards,

C.C.~~whoever, be attentive, respectful, sincere, honest, and most of all apply it....JMHO /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Kato
11-13-2002, 11:00 AM
Good one down south. Voodoo, Voodoo, Voodoo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If we had the time I'd just like to just sit and listen to him for a few years. As far as pool knowledge goes, find someone that knows more. Don't know about that.

Kato

Chris Cass
11-13-2002, 11:12 AM
Hi Tom,

Good post by the way. This post brings me too the negative feelings I have about a particular player. That boils me to know end. Here's the story.

I normally won't ask to play with anyone I don't know, in the ph where I play. If they ask me? I'll usually tell them, I just play for money or tell them, I prefer to practice alone as I need to work on somethings I'm having trouble with.

This one guy had been coming in regular and I've seen him playing alone quite a lot. His wife will pick him up after the day rate expires at 6pm. She is very nice.

One day he asks if I'd play with him for awhile. I was bored and it was a slow day for me. I've done my drills and had some lunch. I told him I normally gamble. He said, he didn't have any money but really would like to play with me. Going against my policy, I agreed.

He told me he took off a state tourney awhile back and asked to play some 8ball on a bar box. Well, we played for the remaining 6 hrs. Not one race to 6 had he won. He never got past 4 and at the end of the day asked if I'd give him a ride home in IA. Well, we're talking a couple things here.

First, it was one lane traffic since they were working on the bridge you have to cross to get there. Also, rush hour traffic, and most of all I don't know this guy from adam. How could he ask me this? He tells me he'll give me $10. I was floor'd. I told him to take a cab. His wife later picked him up. He didn't want to wait till she got off work at 6pm.

2 weeks went by and nothing said. Then, he asked if I'd like to play? I told him know, I was drilling. He then, asks me why he was missing his last ball before the 8ball, brings me a coffee(coffee was paid for by myself all day rate too.) I thought, sure why not everyone might get off on the wrong foot now and then.

As were playing he's losing his butt and now he's whinning about how he's giving me games. Now, the disrespect comes in. I could see if you miss and your opponent runs out. This information should not be said and just thought. This is an insult to the opponent IMO. Especially, after running 4 racks of 8ball from the break.

After that day, I learned my lesson and never played with him since. Now, while practicing my drills I look over and this jerk is doing the same drills and everytime I change drills he, follows suit. Comes over and asks me why I'm doing this particular drill? I told him I was flattening out a new tip and it wasn't a drill more than getting my tip to mushroom. (NOT)

The next day, he did the same thing so, this time I set up three balls in a line near the corner pocket. Removing the inside ball and was making the cb go through them into the corner from the opposite corner. This drill drove him nuts as he couldn't go through the balls without hitting them. LOL

This guy is a mooch. These, are the people I don't care to play with for money or not. Mentor? No way in hell.

Regards,

C.C.~~venting......

CarolNYC
11-13-2002, 11:46 AM
Teachers are very special people to me-especially in the pool world-how many people do you know are willing to share the knowledge they have to make you better? Find someone who has the knowledge and experience and just say "Can you help me?but you must be a good student,also,able to handle criticism and do what they say-it takes two!
Carol~Good luck!

CarolNYC
11-13-2002, 11:49 AM
Chris,
You have ALWAYS guided me in the right direction and for that,I am and ALWAYS will be grateful to you-need I say anymore?
Carol~jumps two balls now!Loves her Mantra!:)

Rod
11-13-2002, 01:05 PM
CC, just let me say Amen.LOL I'm a mooch, you did all the typing for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif One has to be real particular who they play with. I just say no I'm practicing. I'll have a weak moment one day, but not soon I hope.

eg8r
11-13-2002, 01:41 PM
Chris,

I hope you go against your rules one more time. I am by no means a gambler but would not mind a little mooching myself. lol
I just hope I get to the Derby this year, whether I get to play some or not.

eg8r

socrates
11-13-2002, 02:29 PM
When the student is ready - the teacher will appear.

Zen Proverb

Perk
11-13-2002, 02:43 PM
Chris...nice posts btw...my thoughts on your comment:

"It's a pool caddy is what we all need. Someone that can sit back and tell us when we're about to do something stupid"

In michigan, we call them BACKERS! lol...just kidding...I think the process of getting a mentor, comes with playing all the time, and quite frankly losing a bit of cash. Its not so much the money that should be important, as it is watching and learning the game....Not only does playing for money work on physical skills, but it can work on the all mighty mental skills...

Just my thoughts from michigan!!!

Ludba
11-13-2002, 02:52 PM
Very appropriate. And I believe the proverb does not necessarily equate teacher with a wiser person or even a human being. I think the point is that when a student is ready to see all the useful information available to him, he can learn from something or someone unrelated to pool, or by watching someone who is not more knowledgeable.

I myself have had several mentors. I started off playing with my now good friend about 10 months ago. He had been playing for about 5 years and was very good, I thought. He stopped caring about improvement at pool, so I have surpassed him already. It's funny that at roughly the same time I had reached this point, an even better mentor came along. I've learned a great deal from him on the mental and strategic part of pool. I can only hope that I am lucky enough to find a new mentor when I surpass this one.

Someimes people mentor not out of altruism, but out of self-interest. I did it last night. I was trying to coach someone not to reinforce bad mental habits (i.e. "I'm so pissed off that I missed that shot"). She is of course on my team, so I had a vested interest here. I wasn't very effective, nor was the other person coaching her. Here again, the student was not ready. She's evidently been doing this in competition for a long time, so it's not an easily reversible habit. But it could catapult her game.

smfsrca
11-13-2002, 03:00 PM
All I can do is relate to you my personal story of my own mentoring relationship.

I took up the game again after many, many years of not playing. I bought a cheap cue so I wouldn't be stuck with a house cue and began playing in as many small local tournaments as there were. At about the same time, a new pool hall opened. I began going to this pool hall every day practicing and playing for hours at a time. My enthusiasm for the game and my rate of improvement were quite dramatic. Apparently I caught the attention of the owner. He was at one time a very good player and exceptionally knowledgeable about the game. He took a particular interest in my game, showing me many things. After a month or so he let me use one of his own cues when I was playing at his hall. So, every day I would go the the hall and use his cue. One weekend there was a big tournament at a nearby city. I asked him if I could borrow the cue to play in the tournament. He agreed and I took 3rd place in the tournament paying me enough money to return and purchase the same cue, which I use to this day.

Rod
11-13-2002, 04:58 PM
Good Question Tom. I don't know exactly, it's something that just happens in my opinion. I've served as one several times. By that I mean not a paid student. For me they need to respect what I'm doing and be polite. Approach me when I'm not playing and start a casual conversation. Those building blocks takes a little time. I don't want to be bombarded by questions every time I see the person. That is annoying to say the least. When I help someone it's important to me they practice their faults. When I see that isn't happening then it's over. When someone pays then they can do whatever they like, makes no difference to me. Well it does so sometimes I say why don't we just talk for an hour. They might change. Anyone you believe in that tries to help you should have your full attention. If they say don't shoot those wild draw shots; there was/is a reason and you better not be caught doing such.

SPetty
11-13-2002, 05:27 PM
It seems to me that the closest thing to a mentor I'll ever get is this CCB right here. So please keep it up you guys, I need all the help I can get! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

smfsrca
11-13-2002, 05:54 PM
Rod
Well put!
And it is a great day and a great feeling when the day comes that you know for sure that you have earned the respect of your mentor.
Steve in CA

Chris Cass
11-13-2002, 06:20 PM
Hey Rod,

I like your style kid... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Best regards,

C.C.~~presently has a strangle hold on the mailman..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
11-13-2002, 06:27 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Auh shucks, Naa.

Thanks,

C.C.~~now officially ready for the derby. yep, ego fully charged... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
11-13-2002, 06:38 PM
For you bud, anything. Just keep in mind I don't work. LOL Well there's 24hrs in a nite. Counting so many I guess I can always take 2 minutes of the derby to help you my friend and I'll tell you all I know about this game. Then, it's up to you whatever you choose to do with the remaining minute and a half. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~should be hungry by the derby. eg8r will have to watch me get into some action I can't win. hahahaha Hope not.

Chris Cass
11-13-2002, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
Finding a mentor is difficult. Getting one to be your mentor is even harder. I don't think I have come close to seeing someone that fits this definition for POOL. I do think there are mentors available, but not in Cincy.<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Tom, I don't know about that? I found one in Cincy and read his pm before I go to the ph. I appreciate that Tom.

Regards,

C.C.

Barbara
11-13-2002, 07:58 PM
I want dibs!!!

Barbara~~~flying below the points radar screen BIG TIME!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

stickman
11-13-2002, 08:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Tom

mentor def. "A wise and trusted counselor or teacher"

Finding a mentor is difficult. Getting one to be your mentor is even harder.

I don't think I have come close to seeing someone that fits this definition for POOL. I do think there are mentors available, but not in Cincy.

Please let us know how you do in your search. <hr /></blockquote>

I guess I find my mentors right here. There are no mentors in podunk Parsons, Ks. There are a few that shoot decent pool, but definitely no mentors. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Chris Cass
11-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Hi Barbara,

You'll always have first dibs. So, dibs on what? LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vicki
11-13-2002, 10:45 PM
One unfortunate answer is to be female, height/weight proportional and pleasant in some way... either in appearance or personality. I see women everyday, everywhere getting unsolicited advice from wanna-be mentors. I have been all over the country at pool events and have heard from every almost top-pro player about how they taught Karen Corr when she first came to America or how they are responsible for Julie Kelly's improved play or how they gave lessons to Allison, showed Jeanette that great shot she made in her televised match... blah, blah, blah. I get unsolicited advice from unqualified "mentors" nearly every time I go to the pool room.

I would suggest that the student should chose the mentor, not the other way around. I would probably take a few lessons and see what connections can be made in that way. I would also go to some tournaments and see if I could find someone like me who has what I want. I would try to develop a friendship with that person and see if a mentor relationship can be established from there. I would imagine it is a process - not an event - to find a metor.

Perhaps our mentor is already in our lives mentoring us and we are not open to their lessons. Perhaps we have more than one mentor. I realize that I could be missing my best lessons because of my unwillingness to accept advice from every Tom, Dick and Harry who thinks he can make me a "world champion."

For what it's worth... Vicki

Karatemom
11-13-2002, 10:52 PM
Marry one; I did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Heide ~ couldn't resist

dddd
11-13-2002, 11:04 PM
mentor = A wise and trusted counselor or teacher
i have several people i will look to and ask questions of.
i have a single person i trust and know as a good teacher. he and i will get together twice a month or thereabouts and take a couple hours discussing my play, my shots, my feelings.
i consider him a mentor to my way of understanding the word mentor.

Kato
11-14-2002, 07:29 AM
Hi Vicki, nice to see you back. I'm not sure the student picks the mentor, I believe the student picks the teacher. The mentor picks the student. Teachers get paid to teach you. Mentors offer their services not just at the pool table but in your life's travels as well.

As far as unwanted advice goes, I feel for all the ladies out there. Some day men might try a different approach other than to think every woman in the pool room wants to sleep with them.

Kato~~~knows none of the guys on the CCB offer unsolicited advice execpt for NaZ. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kato
11-14-2002, 07:35 AM
Also know that mentors are very special people, difficult to find. A true mentor is more precious than gold.

Kato

Doctor_D
11-14-2002, 07:43 AM
Good morning:

Mentors will step in and take you under their wing, typically, when you least expect it to happen. A true mentor is usually an individual who has benefited personally, at some point in their life and/or career, from their own mentor and as such knows how valuable this individual can be. Mentors choose; mentors are never chosen. Having benefited personally from a dedicated mentor, I can say with certainty that the insight, overview and guidance offered and/or provided is absolutely priceless.

Show a willingness and a desire to learn, as well as to assume the role of an apprentice, and a mentor will find you.

Good luck, and may you be found by the mentor who will provide you with the insight and direction you are seeking.

Dr. D.

CarolNYC
11-14-2002, 08:29 AM
Hey Vicki,
I just want to share something with you about unsolicited advice-anyone who comes up to me and offers advice in a respectful manner,(whether I know it already or not) I will always thank and I'll tell you why!When I first started on the regional tour, I played in the shabbiest,smokiest local pool hall filled with old-timers who watched me play( while watching the horse racing on t.v.)-they commented and bickered among themselves on every shot I made(and I listened to every word they said!)-one particular old-timer grew interest in me and was very impatient ,strict but determined to drill it in my head to practice-he would say "You are a steak and if you dont practice you will become a hamburger and you cant turn a hamburger into a steak"ha ha ha-but he could run 150 balls-he had knowledge-each time I came to the pool room, he'd smile and play and teach me and brag that he taught me everything I knew-I was placing in the top ten on the tour-I grew to love him-well, little did I know,he was very sick and died this year-at his funeral,his daughters said that his last words were to tell me I was one of the happiest things in his life!So sometimes, what you may think is an ego-trip for someone,might just be all they have and may make their life just a little happier!You never know how you can touch someones heart! I know some peoples words arent worth the loafers they walk in, but I can only believe they are trying to help and if it makes them feel good,then so be it! Im sure the vendor at Great Adventure thought he was the one who helped me run the rack,ha ha ha-good for him!Take it with a grain of salt!
Carol

PQQLK9
11-14-2002, 08:50 AM
Tap...Tap...Tap

CarolNYC
11-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Your right Kato,
My response to Tom was insearch for a "teacher",not mentor-I misunderstood-mentors are not found,they do find you-the relationship that is established is a bond that will never be broken-not only do they deal with their own going ons in life, but they also listen to your downfalls,as my bestfriend and mentor,Fran Crimi, does for me!To be able to have someone like that in your life who will listen to your whining or your joys is a definite blessing-you cant find a mentor,its only fate that they will find you!
Carol

Kato
11-14-2002, 09:24 AM
Did you have a hug mentor Carol? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato

eg8r
11-14-2002, 09:27 AM
wow, surely you know more than a half minute of pool. LOL I promise not to take away from any free time to get a game going. lol

eg8r

Tom_In_Cincy
11-14-2002, 09:36 AM
awww.. thanks Chris..
But, all I did was remind you of what you already should know and keep repeating the mantra..

"Scott is right, Scott is right.."

Chris Cass
11-14-2002, 09:45 AM
Scott who? HAHAHAHAHHA

Nevertheless, your the man.

Regards,

C.C.~~Scott that I haven't seen hide nor hair of? He might be lost in all this corn crap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
11-14-2002, 09:56 AM
Viki,

It was a pleasure to see you play while we were all in Virginia to watch the US Open.

Your game is (IMO) better than average. I can see why you attract potential mentor wannabees.

Un-solicited advice can come from anywhere, not just a wannabee mentor.

Mentors (IMO) should be able to approach a potential student in a manner that would make both comfortable in the initial conversation. Not too many non-pool playing people know how to do this even in a normal situation.

A mentor needs to know how to communicate in a way that is above averge. And, they need to know how to adjust their communication skills to address the student's needs. A mentor also needs to know how to listen effectively. Not only the the words but the emotions, of the student, are very important in working on any problem.

Vicki
11-14-2002, 11:46 AM
I hear you, Carol! It is a beautiful thing to vent your feelings. I believe we all have instincts about the people who approach us. We usually know when to blast the guy for half-feeling us up while he is showing us a shot or to listen and nod politely because we already know the advice they are giving us and it is being said respectfully.

I had a friend just like the friend you told me about who passed away this year. At his funeral his children were so grateful to a few of us who were close to their father. Micky was a great player and teacher who was a little impatient and really wanted everyone to play to the best of their ability. More than anything he was just a great guy who never said a sour word about anyone or anything. He was a sweet man who wrote poems and sang love songs from the 20's &amp; 30's to all the pretty ladies. Only the luckiest pool rooms get a guy like Mick or your friend. I feel that knowing Micky was one of my luckiest achievements. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The point is, you know the difference between guys like Micky and the ones who are telling you what you already know and the ones who don't know squat.

I play in a league and my team is pretty strong. We rarely lose. We are all good players who have packed on 10-20 years experience. But there is one guy in particular who fancies himself my "coach" who drives me up a wall! He questions every shot - even the ones I make. I could run the rack and when I get back to my chair he'll as me why I shot it that way. The kicker is that he doesn't really want to know why I shot it THAT way. He wants to know why I DIDN'T shoot it his way. I don't feel like he is trying to teach me anything... rather, I feel like he is criticizing me. I think that if I had shot it his way he would ask me why I didn't shoot it my way... know what I mean? It really doesn't matter which way you go as long as you stay in line and get out, right? I doubt if Eferen watches Earl play and agrees with his patterns every time but they are both still great players, aren't they?

It's guys like my teammate who I can't stand. He doesn't try to coach any of the other guys on my team the way he does with me. He wouldn't dare act like that with them. He does it with me because I am a woman.

I had a different guy come at me with SANDPAPER to show me how to take care of my cue. I nearly took his head off. He didn't know my name, my background, my experience, nothing. He was dead serious that he was going to sand my shaft to show me how smooth my shaft could be and how much better it would make me play!!!!!! I had beat his pants off just moments before!!! Never mind that my cue had been at the cuemaker a few days before, had brand new tips, just been cleaned and sealed and ploished. AND nevermind that the cuemaker sleeps in my bed and eats three meals with me. I guarantee that my cues are in better condition than ANYONES. And I guarantee that I know more about cue maintenance than the average Joe.
THAT TAKES BIG POOL BALLS!

Anyway, I hear you Carol! I would like to have a mentor but I find it difficult to tolerate the onslaught of advice that is offered ONLY because I am a female in a "man sport." It shouldn't be that way.

Vicki

eg8r
11-14-2002, 12:30 PM
I need a mentor like that. I do not think rackmup is really panning out. lol

eg8r

Rod
11-14-2002, 12:48 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
11-14-2002, 12:58 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifRackmup is your mentor? Poor kid, what'd they teach you at UF? Perhaps you spent a little too much time watching the old ball coach.

Kato

Eric.
11-14-2002, 01:01 PM
Carol, awesome post. I can't agree more! I have 2 quick stories regarding mentors/advice:

I was talking to Tony Robles, though he isn't my mentor, i will always listen to what he says. He mentioned one tourney where he could have won, but the one shot that he missed was because he "Didn't trust the shot". He said his mentor gave him the advice that if you know the shot, have made it before, trust your judgement and shoot it.(thanks, Tony) My point is that sometimes(usually) mentors are passing on info from their mentor's, mentor, and so on. Alot of knowledge being passed on.

Another story:
I was playing a match which I struggled a bit to run out. After the match, a player whom I am better than, came over and started talking about my shooting. I have to admit, I started to get a tiny bit arrogant with him(what does he know) but he said something that I'm sure even he didn't know how big it was- He said "Dude, you have to get better position on your shots." At first, I thought "yeah, o.k." but after talking to other people, I found out that was my problem! On easy to medium shots, I was playing position to a 12" circle. I spoke to a few good players and they said for those shots, you should be playing to a 5" circle!! So I tried playing tighter po and it was like night and day. Amazing. The unsolicited mentor gave me a tip that helped my game alot. The funny thing is he probably didn't know how big the tip was!

Eric &gt;life is full of surprises

nAz
11-14-2002, 01:06 PM
TomB is my mentor, wait whats a mentor?
no wonder i cant run more then 2 balls!

eg8r
11-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Well, maybe he is not my mentor. lol I just like to make sure I learn something from everyone, and hope what I learned will not ruin what I already know.

eg8r

Doctor_D
11-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Good afternoon:

Regardless of whether you are working with a coach or a mentor, the following always applies:

Data Compiled and Analyzed Becomes Information

Information Evaluated and Studied Becomes Knowledge

Knowledge Applied and Utilized Becomes Experience

Experience Amassed Over Time Becomes Wisdom

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dr. D.

Barbara
11-14-2002, 05:33 PM
"as my best friend and mentor, Fran Crimi, does for me!"

Why you you you.... arrrrrrghhhhh!!! You are just so lucky that NEWT's done for the season and I can't do anything to your points, Woman!! Or maybe.... heh heh heh...

But seriously. I can't really talk because I haven't been to a ph since Feb (just practicing in my basement when I can), but guys used to approach me at one time or another and offer mostly positive advice. And then there were the few that offered to help me more if I "put out". So then I would ask, "Put out what, your eye?".

You're blessed Carol, and you know it!! I just wish I lived closer to Fran! Just five minutes with her that one Sunday and she solved a MAJOR problem that had been killing me for over a year!!!

Barbara~~~NYC is the place to be.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
11-14-2002, 06:09 PM
I know what you mean Vicki,
Anyone who cricticizes you for taking shots your way instead of there way has a serious problem-they deserve to be told to just"back-off'"and sanding your cue,yeah right-I'd sandpaper his head!ha ha ha-next time someone approaches you just because you are a "female"-smoke him on the table!ha ha ha ha
Good luck,girl!
carol

CarolNYC
11-14-2002, 06:17 PM
Cm'on RJ,
You know thats gotta have something to do with this Hawaiian thing going on,like the word aloha means hello and goodbye so when I say"Okay Rj,aloha,do I start all ver again!"ha ha ha ah-you ALWAYS make me smile-and hugs are straight from the heart BABY-you'll find out soon-you know Im Miami bound and counting the days and there coming up fast!Be ready!:)
Carol

Barbara
11-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Yo and whoa!!

Heidi has probably learned a kick or two from Christ and given the angle she could project, well, it would most likey hit my mid/upper body, so okay, let's not talk about dibs.

Hey, you think Pete makes you pee in your pants just looking at him, for all I know, Heidi is freakishly strong and would maul me into the ground.

Barbara~~~respecting the unexpected....

Voodoo Daddy
11-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Geez, this is gonna sound like horn blowing but here goes. I have "mentored" a handfull of players, including one former Florida 9-Ball Tour player of the year and champion. Its not always about the pool...but life itself. I have helped countless people with their pool game but only 4-5 people really took advantage of what was "really" being said. I will say that I rather school women than men, due to the simple fact that I dont back down and men tend to take that as a calling out of sorts. Where women have the ability to sense a passion and fire for things being said or done. Too bad Carol or Vicki dont live closer...I could unleash the beast in them!!!

CarolNYC
11-15-2002, 04:47 AM
Hey Eric,
I know exactly which tournament Tony is talking about!Being dedicated to "that shot" is the deal!And as someone said,"Mentors find you" and I have been taken"under his wing" also-so,for whatever reason,Im just blessed to have two of the best angels watching over me!
And,Yes, even the littlest words of advice or maybe a saying from someone will actually be a tip that helps your game in one way or another-I believe that!
You stay very well!:)
Carol

CarolNYC
11-15-2002, 04:51 AM
Whew,
Boy am I glad for that!ha ha ha-but seriously,its applying the knowledge now to execution-it hasnt caught up yet,but it will!
Carol

CarolNYC
11-15-2002, 04:59 AM
You blow your horn as loud as you want because at 6;30 am on Monday morning you picked up that phone and listened to my AGONY OF DEFEAT- so, now,poor Tom doesnt even have ONE mentor(I think we've all blown him away,he hasnt even answered the post),and I have to feel selfish that I have FIVE!-you may be miles away,but you are just a phone call that is AlWAYS answered-you dont know what you've done for me-I'll just have to show you on the table when I get out there!:)
Carol~mentors,FC,DB,CC,MVD,TR-whew-Thank you God!:)

CarolNYC
11-15-2002, 05:02 AM
Heide,
Im going crazy over that good-looking biker dude in that picture-I cant!
love ya,
Carol

CarolNYC
11-15-2002, 05:05 AM
Tom,
Wordup-thats it in a nutshell!
Carol

Amanda
11-15-2002, 07:16 AM
Vicki,
I think I know who this "helpful" person on your team is and he has driven me crazy with his "suggestions" along the way. Thankfully he's stopped doing that over the last six months or so. I too wish I could find a mentor type person in the area but perhaps its just not time for me yet.
I also had another older guy who hangs out at the ph alot who offered some advice one day, spent about 15 minutes talking to me. A few months later I won a local tournament and he was telling people who he taught me....hrm....15 minute lesson did that? Wow! I must have missed something! Anyhow, several weeks after that he is saying women are not worth spending the time to teach because we don't have the dedication to the sport that men have. Well that sent me through the roof. Amazing how such a comment can motivate a person to excel!

I've been to RandyG's school in Dallas and that was a huge help, plus teaching seems to help me keep fresh all the things I learned. In the meantime its practice, play, compete. I'm also quite impatient with myself, always thinking I should be much better than I am, could be because I started into this later in life and trying to make up for lost time.

In any case, still no mentor, perhaps one day one will find me. I'm not looking but not closed to it either. Trying to do well in a male dominated sport is often difficult, you get alot of Murphy's offering advice, and yes I'm sure you guys get that too. Just smile and say thank you and keep playing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Been a while since I've posted, to give a quick update, I started a new job that keeps me quite busy, other than that I'm at the pool halls at least 5 days a week which leaves a little time for sleep and spending with my husband who is often times not happy with the time I spend out playing /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hope you are all doing well, trying to slowly but surely catch up on some of these threads!

Amanda

bluewolf
11-15-2002, 10:53 AM
I havent found a mentor yet. There was an older gentleman who wanted to be and claimed he taught 'so and so' everything he had learned. His methods seemed so different from what I had learned from randy and scott and also had this 'my way is the highway' type of attitude rather than helping me to find my person style within the boundaries of good fundamentals. I am thankful for the teachers I have had and try to listen to everyone,especially those who are good players.Sometimes even newer players have an insight so i do listen to them too.

Sometimes it is bad advice,doesnt work for me right now at my sl or I will pull it out of my brain when I am ready to take that next leap.

I think, too, that to be mentored, takes an enormous amount of trust on the part of a student.

bw

Vicki
11-15-2002, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Too bad Carol or Vicki dont live closer...I could unleash the beast in them!!! <hr /></blockquote>

I was thinking earlier today how good I would look on the beaches of Miami... ( /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifspeaking of "horn blowing") you just make me an offer and I might just take you up on it, my friend!

Vicki

Vicki
11-15-2002, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Amanda:</font><hr> Vicki,
I also had another older guy who hangs out at the ph alot who offered some advice one day, spent about 15 minutes talking to me. A few months later I won a local tournament and he was telling people who he taught me....hrm....15 minute lesson did that? Wow! I must have missed something! Anyhow, several weeks after that he is saying women are not worth spending the time to teach because we don't have the dedication to the sport that men have.
Amanda <hr /></blockquote>

I am trying to think of who I heard say that...! That's almost the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I think in our area there are a few good candidates for mentors. One is Jimmy Caldor who I haven't seen in about a year but he'll turn up eventually. John Zuru (sp?) is another good one. Jerry Gruber, Jim Parks, Jennifer Dunkin, Jim MacAdams, Jimmy Henson, Colleen Miller... any of them would be great resources for advancing your game. I'll see you tomorrow at CAT in Rockville.

Love ya like family, Vicki