PDA

View Full Version : Various Degrees of Draw

Ludba
11-13-2002, 02:20 PM
Now, I had already been playing for a little less than a year when Scott Lee taught me how to practice various degrees of draw (i.e. 1 foot, 2 feet, 3 feet, etc.), so I already had formed habits in creating draw. But he pointed out something I'd seen in my and others' game: most people can draw a little or a lot, but not in between. Scott Lee's method of relying on the speed of the stroke is more reliable than my previous method of changing the number of cuetips below center, definitely for 1 foot and 2 feet, but has anyone found that varying speed AND tip position works well for reaching those pesky middle draw areas (3,4,5...)? Or have you just perfected the speed of the stroke until you were able to distinguish between a medium stroke and a medium and a half stroke?

Example: I'm trying to draw 3 feet, but I go 5 feet. If I aim a half-tip higher and hit with the same medium speed, is this more, less, or equally reliable than finding a more precise speed?

My thought is that I have to perfect the speed portion and then vary cue tip position for more precise cue ball position. Is this accurate, or should I simply be on a continuous quest for more precise speed control?

CarolNYC
11-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Hey there,
From my own experience, when down on a shot ,I'd be afraid I'd draw back too far which ,in turn caused me to tense up and come up short-which I feel is worse than coming up long!What Ive found is ,to be able to develop your speed control of draw ,takes practice and confidence-you just have to commit to your shot and let the stroke go and feel it!
Hope I was of some help!:)
Carol