PDA

View Full Version : Damnable Luck

Ludba
11-13-2002, 03:11 PM
It's an area I try not to even think about, but perhaps I should. I don't like the idea that a game I love so much should have such frequent contact with chance. I am above all interested in pursuits whose happy ends are the result of my skill. But luck, good or bad, plays a part in my games probably as much as anybody else's.

Usually, I don't get very many good rolls per se. I do however remember one phenomenally good roll after I had missed contact on a kick: the cue ball hit two more rails and barely nudged another of my object balls to the rail and hooked behind it. I was already down by six balls. Normally, my good luck is that my opponents get bad rolls. That happens fairly often.

But my bad luck comes in outrageous spurts, as in poor shots that I could never again repeat, even with practice. This happened the night before last as the cue ball rolled and rolled... and rolled...and rolled... and plop just barely in the side pocket. This against probably the best player in my pool hall, who had only one ball and the eight to go. I must admit that there was probably some poor planning in shot selection that gave bad luck a helping hand, but in the end I had to tell myself (against my normal inclination) that it wasn't me, I just got a bad roll.

Anyone else have any views on unladylike Luck?

PQQLK9
11-13-2002, 03:42 PM
Maybe it's my attitude but it seems that I always get the good rolls (I even expect them)....drives my opponents crazy...What can I say ??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
11-13-2002, 04:03 PM
Ludba,

Its been my experience that the good and bad rolls are always there. Each game you play or watch, they happen. While at the US Open this year, I found that most of the 'bad' or 'lucky' rolls happened on the break or during a safety battle.. but the fact that those rolls were present at the US Open with all those great players, remains the same..

Rolls are a part of the game.. its when you take them personally (wining or loosing) is when they become a factor in your game.

Accepting them as being part of the game (either way, good or bad) is the first step in getting rid of their influence in your performance.

When I hear myself say "I'm not getting any rolls" I try to remind myself that I recently went to the bakery and they were out.. another player already purchaced them ALL.

stickman
11-13-2002, 04:57 PM
I try for the most part to discount bad luck, but there are circumstances where it is hard to deny the existance of good luck. There are times when I can break a ball out and have a good idea of what kind of leave to expect. Other times, I know I will break a ball out, but if I get some sort of leave, it will only be by good luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I guess I believe that a person can be lucky at times, (either me or my opponent) but I don't believe that anybody is actually unlucky. Most of what is called unlucky can be attributed to some sort of shooter error. At least, I don't think that I'm ever unlucky. Now, if I was getting ready to sink a short, straight in 9ball for $50,000, and a tornado blew the poolhall down just before I shot, I might think that was unlucky. LOL

Here's a shot I had Monday night at league. I would like to have gotten lucky on it and had the cueball stop about two inches shorter. It just barely rolled far enough to fall in the pocket.

START(
%HG3H6%ID5I9%PG1R3%UG6J3%VG2Q5%Wk0C3%XG9I1%Ye0Z8%Z s7F3%[D5D2
%\c9[3%]r9F0%^k7C4%eC2b0
)END

I knew that I could get the cueball up the table and back somewhere near the rail. It was a good try, and I still won my match.

dddd
11-13-2002, 10:01 PM
luck good or bad. well its just that.
its the outlook you have that makes a difference.
i plan the shot, leave and next shot, attempt to make the ball as best i can leaving the ball where i planned. i start over and do it again.
its the focus, and direction you put on it. that may or may not happen is not important to what you need to do.

do not allow it to enter your mind and allow you let if affect your shot or planning.

focus only on the job at hand, allowing distractions is just a self fufilling problem you will make happen if it doesnt happen before that.

being prepared and possessing a preshot routine, when something unfortunate happens, follow the plan, plan to make the hit, plan your position, and never allow yourself to become absorbed by that "luck".

then it comes down to focusing on your hit, be non-judgmental and trust yourself...

phil in sofla
11-14-2002, 08:31 PM
The thing I don't like is the semi-impossible happening.

Such as when you kick, and somehow miss the OB thisclose, and upon later inspection, realize that there was only one exact path that missed the ball along that line-- ANY slightest deviation from the line and you must have hit the kick, and you got the one exact path to miss it. Rough.

The other luck thing that frosts me is to scratch in the side pocket along a line off the short rail SO shallow that it is at the limit of how shallow it could be and even theoretically go in the pocket. That is, on a line without any room for error, that you'd never think to shoot at except at the slowest speed, hoping to have the ball just turn over and drop in the side from gravity. Somehow, even on the tightest table in the county, that cue ball can slip into the side even at a moderate speed.

It isn't physically possible, seemingly, and yet you saw it happen right in front of your eyes. Brutal.

Ludba
11-14-2002, 11:08 PM
It's something along those lines that I thought I was watching the other night. But then again, after watching the Archer/Reyes match, I realized it was probably a pocketing error, i.e. cutting my object ball too thin and leaving too much movement on the cue ball.

oh well. Back to the table.

Sid_Vicious
11-15-2002, 09:21 PM
"The other luck thing that frosts me is to scratch in the side pocket along a line off the short rail SO shallow that it is at the limit of how shallow it could be and even theoretically go in the pocket. That is, on a line without any room for error, that you'd never think to shoot at except at the slowest speed, hoping to have the ball just turn over and drop in the side from gravity. Somehow, even on the tightest table in the county, that cue ball can slip into the side even at a moderate speed."

You hit my main pain right on the head Phil. Those lines in the side that are IMPOSSIBLE to believe falling against you are demoralizing..sid

stickman
11-15-2002, 10:47 PM
I think the unbelievable angle that allows a cueball to scratch in a side pocket gets us all. Did you ever wonder who the idiot was that first designed the pool table and decided it needed pockets in the side? LOL