PDA

View Full Version : The Break

9 Ball Girl
11-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Just wondering how you all break. Every now and then I'll change up on the way I break. I used to put my whole body into it and I would really spread them out but had to stop breaking like that 'cause I was eventually getting bruises on my right knee.

Then I started to break in my shooting stance except only I would position myself 1/2 way down to where I would normally shoot a ball. Oh, and I would break with a closed hand bridge.

Now I break in my shooting stance, 3/4 of the way down with an open hand bridge. This is the most comfy. The only thing is that regardless of which stance or bridge I use to break, I still break the same way. The only time the balls go different is when I change the spot where I place the cueball and when I change the spot where I hit the cueball.

Wendy~~just sharing http://jeeptalk.org/crack/smilies/contrib/legionxs/wavey.gif

Karatemom
11-13-2002, 10:47 PM
Hey Wendy. I used to break from the rail, with the cue between the first two fingers. Now, I break about 4" from the spot with a closed bridge and shooting stance. I try and put my whole body into it, but when you're only 95 lbs soaking wet, there's not a whole lot of umph to put behind it /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. If I'm not getting anything in on the break, I'll move the cb over an inch until I do. Use a little low and away I go. My break used to be the best part of my game, but now my game is starting to catch up /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Heide ~ doesn't mind sharing

Eric.
11-14-2002, 10:01 AM
In 9 ball I have 2 breaks that seem to work well. If the rack is tight, I'll break 4 inches off the side rail, puteverything into it(leg,hips,shoulder,arm) and crush the rack. This works for pocketing the wing ball and sending balls around the table.
If the rack is shaky, but the first 3 balls are frozen to the 9(like a 4 ball rack), I will break from the edge of the box, with a cut break, stun stroke, and try to break the 1 into the side.
The cut break works great when you are forced to break from the box, but if the rack is questionable, why not use it? I played Chris Lynch recently at a Tri State stop and I broke the 1 into the side in 5 of 7 racks! (Chris won 9-7)

Eric >wins the battle, losses the war

Chris Cass
11-14-2002, 10:29 AM
Your break is extremely consistant. I think your break is one of the better breaks I've seen. Your game has grown since your practices. What I like best about your game is your rhythm. Your rhythm is really consistant. You scare the begeebee's out of a lot of people out here. Your mechanics are perfect. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

C.C.~~proud of the Mrs.

Voodoo Daddy
11-15-2002, 12:59 AM
Ok...I'll give up the goods. My 9-ball break is simple, 4" from the spot to the right cueing cb dead center thought the 1-ball at the 8th ball in the rack {counting from the one, left to right} I put about 85% into my break so I dont loose whitey. 8-Ball break moves to the left rail...2"-3" off the rail aiming at the second ball with draw...lookin' to make the 8-ball on the crunch. Not givin up my 1-hole smash.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif