PDA

View Full Version : Luc Salvas on ESPN

11-14-2002, 03:12 AM
I am at the stage of my development as a player that I am trying to find the proper pace for myself at the table. I have played for over ten years and I play in pro tournaments, but I am not completely comfortable with my tempo at the table. The reason I bring up Luc Salvas is even though he is an accomplished player, he does not look like he is comfortable with his super fast pace around the table. I figured by seeing how the CCB's view his game it may help my game by your guys experienced insight and opinions.
Luc says that is his natural rhythym, but it just does not seem he is completely comfortable out there. Earl Strickland is a fast player, but his pace looks not rushed and when confronted with a difficult situation, he will take a long time studying the table. Then when he makes up his mind what to do, he takes his stance, and takes two or three warm-ups and fires the ball in the middle of the pocket. I have personally seen Luc make some very elementary mistakes in major competition (US Open and on ESPN). I cannot help to think that if he slowed up a little he would not be so sloppy. I honestly do not think it is natural for anyone to play that fast, even Luc. For example, I seen some tapes of Tony Drago play and he is super fast, but like I said about Earl Strickland, it seems he is perfectly comfortable with his tempo, and conversly, he is very error free in his cueing action.

Thierry Layani
11-14-2002, 10:25 AM
Luc is a good friend of mine, I see him play in tournaments all the time and his pace is indeed not comfortable but he has always played like this. The thing with Luc is that he's very nervous (but I mean very nervous). The more is nervous the more he plays fast. When Luc is on a roll which does happen especially in BIG tournaments, he's like a tornado, he seems to be making all the balls everywhere and this really affects his opponent. I remember at the US open this year his match against Frankie Hernandez, 10 minutes were gone and the match was already 5-0 for Luc, it finally ended 11-1 in about 30 minutes or less. Frankie was simply overwhelmed with what was happening and wasn't able to find his own rythm. That's why Luc has good results, he really messes up the rythm of his opponent, especially slow player. The bad side of this is that sometimes he misses elementary shots, or doesn't reflect enough on a shot and plays a bad one. That's why look can actually beat any player on this planet but can also lose against very weak players sometimes. Here in Montreal, his results are not that good, because the players know him. Luc knows about this, but trying to improve this would affect his own style of play and he would probably not be a better player. His strenght is his weakness, but I guess he finds he's better of with this style than trying to change it.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

Vicki
11-14-2002, 12:23 PM
I can't say that Luc is a friend of mine but I met him and had a chance to talk to him at the ESPN Zone in October. He is a very intense person. Very alert and focused. I love to watch him play and I really thought he was going to take down the US Open this year. He played so strong there and it didn't seem like anyone could touch him. The match against Frankie was over in a blink! He doesn't seem uncomfortable to me at all. In fact, he seems to have great instincts, he makes difficult decisions and executes those decisions lightning fast.

He told me that he reads these forums so in case he reads this I want to make one other observation... Luc nearly broke my hand when he shook it! My daughter was with me and met him at ESPN Zone. When he shook her hand she nearly yelped! As he walked away my daughter turned to me in pain and was holding the crushed hand with her other hand. I agreed that he nearly took me to my knees with that handshake! He is a VERY memorable person and we will always remember our first time meeting him. Next time, though, we will try to avoid the bone crushing handshake!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Vicki

11-14-2002, 01:27 PM
I hate when guys do that. I think some guys are overcompensating for feelings of inadequacy, but enough of that.

Does he grip his cue very tightly when he's shooting?

Slim

Vagabond
11-14-2002, 07:17 PM
Howdy Folks,
In the past Luke never used to take any aiming strokes.May be he was infuenced by too many critiques,he started taking aiming strokes( one or two)I told luke( I know him very well) to be himself and these aiming strikes screwed up his game and not playing as good as before.I think he has to go back to his original speed which is very fast.cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif