PDA

View Full Version : Second ball hit on break

03-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Please explain what is meant by second ball hit on the break.

Rod
03-07-2002, 08:43 PM
The reference is probably an 8 ball break. That's where you hit the next ball down from the head ball. The next ball down, on either side is the second ball.

cuechick
03-08-2002, 01:51 AM
You have to use a lot a draw, to avoid scratching. If done right cue she it rail and come back into rack, sending 8 ball into side pocket. I have had a lot of sucess with this break, I made 2 8's in a row against a guy in a mini tournament last August. He was not happy/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif!!

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 05:44 AM
Hi there,
In 8-ball-rack your balls in order 1,2,3,4 etc.-from right side,which I break from, aim at 2 ball but look at 14 ball-thats your point-there wil be no scratch-follow through and hit that sucker dead on-good luck! Just try it!
Carol

Rod
03-08-2002, 06:14 AM
My reply was to identify the second ball. A friend made the 8 three in a row. He and I use low left, breaking from the right side. I really haven't used that break for a long time though, because in BCA 8 doesn't count. I break head on, with the c/b to the right and go for the run out. Last time in Vegas our team run 5 racks with that break, we run out the round. Getting near the finals, I don't recall seeing a side break. If the 8 does count then I can see why one would break that way.

Fred Agnir
03-08-2002, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuechick:</font><hr> You have to use a lot a draw, to avoid scratching. <hr></blockquote>

Have you ever tried it without draw to test this theory? The ball shouldn't scratch if you don't clip the head ball. Instead, it doubles the corner and back out.

Fred

Fred Agnir
03-08-2002, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> I really haven't used that break for a long time though, because in BCA 8 doesn't count. <hr></blockquote>

Strangely enough, I've broken this way all session, whereas I haven't broken like this more than 6 games in the past couple of years. Results? No 8-ball on the breaks (they count in our BCA league) but somehow I find myself leading the league in B&amp;R's. Funny.

Fred