PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds or Pearls?

11-14-2002, 10:06 AM
Hello. I am rebuilding a table and I just started rebuilding the rails. The rails are getting new laminate and I'd like to install diamond sites, and my question is how do I cut the holes? If it is too much trouble I may just put the round pearl sites but I really want diamonds. Any info would help. Thanks

Popcorn
11-14-2002, 10:59 AM
You said laminate. That would be real tough, I would stay with the dots where you can just drill. There is a simple system for doing it though in wood that guitar builders use. You need a dremal tool tempra paint and a sharp pointed tool. All you do is apply the paint where you want the inlay. Then trace the piece to be inlayed in the paint. Now you need to route out the hole. The real trick though is the filler. In an ebony finger board the hole does not need to be perfect because the inlay is glued in using an epoxy tinted to the color of the wood. Once in you can't see the imperfection. On a lot of pool cues if you look with a magnifier you will find the same thing. On a lot of cues, (Not mentioning names), they are not even close and the inlay is centered in the tinted epoxy.