PDA

View Full Version : What's most important???

03-07-2002, 10:07 PM
To play the sport of billiards, what are the MOST concerning aspects for you in order enjoy a good game of pool. For myself first is the table type, then (not in order of importance) table spacing, separation of players from non player to minimize interference, proper lighting height and lumines, cloth, chalk, flooring, ceiling height, room dimensions, but what other concerns do you as a player have that all room owners SHOULD address? BF

03-07-2002, 10:19 PM
Sounds to me like you've got it covered, I really hate having to move a chair or something to make a shot. A lot of places just try to pack in as many tables as possible, not knowing that people won't go there if its a hassle to shoot. Only thing missing is the atmosphere, music, food, service. Keep the tables and balls maintained, shows that you care.

stickman
03-07-2002, 10:55 PM
That's about it, except I'd throw in a well managed place that keeps the trouble makers, and rifraf out. Nothing ruins a good time for me, like load mouth drunken brawlers, bar fighters, and a street thugs. I like a place that I can take my wife or kids to. I don't like a place if I have to constantly look over my shoulder for trouble while shooting. One of the APA league sites I played at had a fight nearly everytime I played there. The police station is only a block away, and they get called often.

03-07-2002, 11:21 PM
Bigfoot, all those items you mentioned are important in addition to clean quality balls, a comfortable and accessible seating area for each table, and a fairly level playing table (all of which you forgot to mention).

Excellent quality smoke-eaters or better yet a totally non-smoking environment would be big for me as well. Another important factor in my dream room would be an environment that had alot of high quality and skill level of players in order to be able to get alot of good competition and always have players you can learn from. Players that respect the game, the equipment, the rules and their opponent at all times would also be really nice.

Music of your choice (a jukebox) played at a reasonable level and set on random play (randomly plays a selection every 3-5 minutes even if one is not chosen by a paying customer) is a nice addition, but when I've been to some rooms to play that haven't had it, I've found that if I was really in to the pool game I hadn't really missed it.

As you mentioned, spacing between tables is IMO probably one of the most vitally important aspects of the quality playing experience that many room owners totally miss the boat on - just in order to squeeze in more tables and thus more dollars out of their square footage. This is true even in some of the very nicest reputable poolrooms in the country - such as Amsterdam West in NYC. - Chris in NC

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 05:57 AM
Hooks to hang coats-seating OUTSIDE of playing area-level tables with new cloth-players chairs with the notches to hold cues-super duper smoke eaters!
Carol

Chris Cass
03-08-2002, 07:24 AM
Wow, That's some excellent reply's you've received. I would like those little sinks to keep my hands clean. The seating thing gets to me a lot. Railbirds just like to sit in the seats reserved for the players and I hate that. I also hate it when the counter man is stupid and put's people on the table next to you when your in a $ game and there's a dozen tables that are empty a way's a way.
Now I'm upset,
C.C.

03-08-2002, 09:38 AM
I should sign my lease by today or Monday, if nothing goes wrong. The only item I forgot was the coat hooks under the wall mounted drink/food counters, thanks Carol for the reminder. And Chris, I could of gone on and on, but for the most part it will have GC Is and IIs, Simonis/ 59" between each table, NO alcohol,NON SMOKING (yeah!!) with one shimmed up GC and another shimmed up/big cue ball/ valley cougar 4x8 (non-coin w/ball return) "(road player trap)", got em all from Abruzzo. Gotta go. BF

03-08-2002, 12:38 PM
I know you've told me, but now I can finally attach your ccb name with your face. I wish you the best in your venture - it sounds like a winner in your market! One piece of advice for what it's worth - while you're working the 100+ hour weeks, make sure you at least occasionally take/make the time to enjoy the game you love - otherwise you'll burn out! - Chris in NC

stickman
03-08-2002, 01:17 PM
Good luck in your venture. I wish we had a quality PH around here. No Smoking, Ouch. I know it's a bad habit, but one I've had for 30+ years. I could do without if necessary. Can I bring my Skoal Bandits, if I don't spit? J/K

03-08-2002, 04:43 PM
Youser!

03-08-2002, 04:47 PM
I appreciate the advice, I know it will be easy to do, will work it full time for a month or so, already have help lined up, trustworthy. Take care Chris
BF

03-08-2002, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Railbirds just like to sit in the seats reserved for the players and I hate that. I also hate it when the counter man is stupid and put's people on the table next to you when your in a $ game and there's a dozen tables that are empty a way's a way.

Hi Chris, I can positively say that there is absolutely NO WAY that a rail bird is going to be nesting in one of the chairs reserved for me, or my opponent. They will be asked politely once to move, if they don't they will be moved! (THis is where being 6' and 260 comes in handy! no problems so far /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif ).
As for the crowding of people in one area, I will ask the people just starting if they would mind moving down a table, and then I will go tell the person running the counter about the table change and request that they leave the surrounding table(s) open untill absolutely needed.
BTW I really am a teddy bear, I don't get mad too often.

Chris Cass
03-08-2002, 10:16 PM
Could give John my regards,
C.C.

03-08-2002, 11:00 PM
Good Luck BF! Don't forget some reasonably healthy snacks too! I always had a fondness for rooms that had those frozen fruit bars, and Oh my God, if I could find a room that had real fruit smoothies I'd think I died and went to heaven!! Sounds like you've got it all covered, but don't forget the Mega Touch video game, great for maximizing profits!!

Chris Cass
03-09-2002, 02:27 AM
Hi Scott,
The old guy at the counters a real gem. I asked to use the half moon scuffer for my break tip one day and he said, Here, what don't any of you a$$holes buy your own.
He's just a counter guy they call, Grumpy. I go behind the counter if I need most everything. I pretty much do what I want there. I'm friends with the owner 13 yrs and he trusts me to no end. I just tell him, Ah, go back to sleep....

The guys a pain in the a$$ but he's been that way for yrs. His wife ran off, he sold his house in Cal, that's worth big bucks now and his daughter got married to a alcoholic so he says.

As far as rail birds go. I don't sit down much when I play anyway. If they pi$$ me off, I'll say something for sure but most keep their mouth shut, when I'm shooting.

I'll leave my break and jump cues on the table next to me for the clue. The other is the power break. Somehow people can't get comfortable next to my table. Nor sitting in the chairs behind the table. LOLLOL
C.C.~~likes the mini hand sink Chris's Billiards in Chicago had, by the counter.

CarolNYC
03-09-2002, 02:52 PM
No problem=good luck with your venture-I had that idea from a pool hall in Maryland where there was ABsolutely NO PLACE to place cue or coat-very annoying!Glad to have helped!
Carol

cuechick
03-09-2002, 04:13 PM
Good luck!
I also like when a room limits the number of players at one table. It's smart for them because it requires larger partys(Corner allows a max of 6, I think 5 is a nice round number/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif) to get 2 tables. Also my dream would not allow anyone under 16 (unless they were a league member-serious player or if they were with an adult)after a certain time (like 6pm) . I also hate when the tables are too close (My biggest peeve with Amsterdam West)
A lot of rooms here provide a basket inder the table for coats and valuables. Also lockers for regulars and a monthly membership offering unlimited play at off peak hours. I think that attracts serious/good players. Also a real $ break for any struggling regional tour memebers/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif!!

Where is your room, in case I am ever in your area??
As for music, I really like good music to play too, at a reasonable volume. I have yet to find a room that has my taste...

cueball1950
03-09-2002, 04:28 PM
Clean Tables. I just played on a heated billiard table at the Golden Cue in Queens and after 10 minutes my hand was dark green and the burn marks on the table were a different story altogether.No smoking over the tables, Where i play in albany ny they brush the table and rails and wipe the rails after each use..............mike

03-09-2002, 08:09 PM
Along the same lines, "players you can learn from". In my past experience, in the military, pool halls on AF bases usually have a "challenge table", the winner plays the next in line, written on a chalk board or something. A cool feature in a pool hall would be a show table that would allow spectators to look down at a table, like a place I saw in Las Vegas. So put the two together, and that would be awesome. There was a banister people could line up, sit in bar stools, close to the bar, and look down at a table. I don't know how you would get to pay for it though, other than a coin-op. But the challenge table is where I learned almost all I know about pool, and I recomend that kind of atmosphere for anyone. Really. The challenge is to beat the guy that keeps winning, and stay on the table as long as possible. It is a great learning experience, and I lived for the night of the week where I would meet my friends there, kick some but, and get my but kicked!

05-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Hi Chris.
I don't remember ever seeing the hand sink by the counter at Chris's. I think I played there about 20 times around 1981. And that was the first place I played when returning to pool a couple weeks ago. He now has 41 Brunswick Gold Crowns, 5 Verhooven 3- cushion billiard tables and 1 12 foot snooker table. I like to wash my hands every couple of hours when I play. The cold water always seems to be running in the sink in the men's room. There isn't any warm water. The place is still old and kind of dirty looking. Like the pool rooms I remember from the 60s. He also has a place with 12 9' tables &amp; 6 8' tables. And he has a place with with 9' Gold Crowns &amp; 9' Kim Steel's. I've never been to those places.

Kato
05-10-2002, 02:35 PM
If that rail bird happend to be Voodoo Daddy that rail bird could not be moved.LOL

Kato~~~chuckle, chuckle.