PDA

View Full Version : Kicking and Screaming

Ludba
11-14-2002, 11:01 PM
I've started doing something new on my kick shots, and I have had phenomenal results. My new preshot routine for kicks consists of much fewer strokes. Sometimes I stroke once and shoot. The majority of the work I do on kick shots is while standing and looking at the shot. I imagine the cue hitting the rail and coming back to hit my object ball. I play the minimovie in my head and then as soon as I feel good about where the cue is supposed to travel, I get down on the shot, stroke at most two times, and fire. i have been making contact with an astoundingly high percentage of my kick shots since employing this. Not all fall in the hole, but I have been making almost all my hangers on long rail kicks.

I do the visualization with almost all my shots, but I find that it is especially important on my kicks, which have heretofore been a source of much consternation. With this new strategy I don't allow myself to think how difficult the kick is, and I am getting a much better feel for how the cue ball rebounds. I had been trying to reason out how hard I would hit it, what english, what angle, etc., but what I found was that you can't reason with a kick. No amount of explaning, arguing, or screaming will make the cue ball kick where I want it to. I have come to the hard-to-accept conclusion that it is a question of "feel." When the kick feels right, it usually is.

I wonder, though, if this is only a temp fix and that in the future I must use an even better strategy to reach a new level of precision (or comfort?) when kicking. Perhaps later I must go back to relearning what happens on a kick and then internalize it again.

anyone else have ideas about kicking?

dave
11-15-2002, 08:55 AM
"I want to die like my grandfather....quietly in his sleep; not kicking and screaming like the people in his car" <font color="red"> </font color>