PDA

View Full Version : Pool Ball Diameter Tolerances

TomBrooklyn
11-15-2002, 03:59 AM
What are the manufacturing tolerances in the diameter of pool balls? =TB=

Fred Agnir
11-15-2002, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> What are the manufacturing tolerances in the diameter of pool balls? =TB= <hr /></blockquote>
Any time I have a question like this, I go right to the source. They've always answered my questions.

Aramith@saluc.com

Fred

Chris Cass
11-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Hi Fred.

I was just thinking the same thing, but what's really funny is your name always comes to mind first. My advice would have been "ask Fred". You beat me to it. I still believe my advice is the best though /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Regards,

C.C.

Troy
11-22-2002, 10:25 PM
I'm fairly sure it's +/- .005"

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> What are the manufacturing tolerances in the diameter of pool balls? =TB= <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
11-22-2002, 11:55 PM
Tom,
Your post slipped right past me unnoticed. I have a new set, of Aramith Pro's. Well their hardly used, I only take them to the PH for 14-1 and one pocket. I measured this set when they were new for tolerance. I used a dial indicator caliper near new and expensive. I measured all 16 balls and come up with less than .002 variance for the set. I'd say they hold their tolerance pretty tight.

TonyM
11-23-2002, 12:12 AM
"I'm fairly sure it's +/- .005""

That sounds huge to me!

I'd guess it would likely be 1/2 to 1/4 of that number.

I'd be ashamed of any machining operation involving precision machinery and products that could not hold +/- 0.001"

Tony
-they might even shoot for better than that...

Fred Agnir
11-23-2002, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TonyM:</font><hr> "I'm fairly sure it's +/- .005""

That sounds huge to me!<hr /></blockquote>

It is definitely huge. That's the acceptable range according to the BCA, but I'm sure the manufacturing tolerance is much tighter, as you suggest.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd guess it would likely be 1/2 to 1/4 of that number.

I'd be ashamed of any machining operation involving precision machinery and products that could not hold +/- 0.001"

Tony
-they might even shoot for better than that... <hr /></blockquote>
I don't know much about the accuracy and precision of their secondary process (centerless grinding), but for as long as they've been at it, +/- .001 should be attainable for them.

Fred

Nostroke
11-23-2002, 08:59 AM
I dont know the answer but i know balls can wear pretty quickly

One pool room i play at had all Centennials but they were 4 or 5 years old and were played continuously. They lookd fine but one guy was complaining that the balls were "worn out/down". The owner told him he was Full of it. He brought in a scale and a micrometer and the variance among the balls was huge!- SO huge, the normally frugal owner went out and bought new balls.

Troy
11-23-2002, 10:46 AM
I should have said that the BCA spec is +/- .005"... Obviously, a manufacturer would be tighter.

TonyM
11-23-2002, 03:03 PM
Ahh, I thought you meant manufacturers specs! Oh, well, never mind!

Tony
-thinks the BCA should tighten their specs!