PDA

View Full Version : Playing bad against same player

11-15-2002, 07:09 AM
I have been playing one particular player off and on for a while. For some reason, whenever I play this particular person I cannot play my "A" game. Even if I am playing good earlier the same day, if I change and play him my game goes down. We play for a couple of beans, but no more than I do with anyone else, so I don't think that is it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get past this?

nAz
11-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Had that happen to me a few times. i switched games on the guy went from 9ball where i was getting killed to straight were i did the killing, after a while of this we went back to 9ball and id did much better winning 80% of my matches against him /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
also maybe you should try to warm up a good hour before you match

bluewolf
11-15-2002, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MMT:</font><hr> I have been playing one particular player off and on for a while. For some reason, whenever I play this particular person I cannot play my "A" game. Even if I am playing good earlier the same day, if I change and play him my game goes down. We play for a couple of beans, but no more than I do with anyone else, so I don't think that is it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get past this? <hr /></blockquote>

This sounds like a mental switch. We have this 'ball banger' three who happens to be able to make alot of balls. There is this other three who is a top three, almost a four who has played him several times. She is a better all around player but he always beats her because something about him 'psychs' her out.

I went into league last night with the attitude 'i cant miss' and honestly did not care what level player I got put up against. Of couse, I did miss some balls, but it did not bother me, as I was focussing on the good plays I made. Even though i am not good at pool yet, compared to most of the people on this board, I believe that attitude enabled me to play my best game and feel good about how I played. To be honest, I played someone that was way better than me at the first of the season. In the mental state I was in, playing him (if I had) last night would not have made me nervous. Since I know I am playing better, I would have looked forward to playing better against him than I did last time.

Mental switches are funny things. I don't know how a person can turn them on or off. i can say in my mind, I cant miss, but if I dont believe it deep in my soul, I play bad.In my case, I had had three super days on my table at home, where I was shooting much better than before, so my switch was on and I cannot wait to get back to the table.

I think that 'nothing succeeds like success', but maybe you great players here know how to turn these switches on.

bw

houseman
11-15-2002, 11:05 AM
I had the same problem with a player once, just could not beat him. Then I remembered what a great player told me. Your not playing the player, your playing the table. As long as they are in the chair they can not win. I finally beat him and he never beat me again. <font color="red"> </font color>

Ludba
11-15-2002, 07:30 PM
I don't think I have a person like that. I have been playing pretty bad lately in my two BCA leagues against our house pro, but I think it's just a coincidence, since I've beaten him a few times before. If I did have a bugaboo who really brought out the worst in me, I'd know it was a mental thing. It's almost always a mental thing in those cases. I used to be that way against my good friend and mentor, but I've grown a lot as a player since those days.

There is this one guy who plays bad every time he plays me, but I can't complain too much about that. The last few matches I beat him, he said I should get some money together and we'll play $100 a game. Sounds a little steep to me, especially since I'm not big on gambling.

ceebee
11-16-2002, 12:22 PM
I've had that problem myself. One day I had a conversation with an older gentleman &amp; he said.."play 'em everyday until you beat 'em everyday". The philosophy worked. I have also been able to focus on beating the Table (like another post suggested) rather than beating the player... which is very good philosophy for any sport or game. WINNING is a mindset that can be learned. But, even with a good mindset you are NOT going to be a world beater... we all have a rung on the ladder where we perch.

If you are capable of playing at a certain level, maybe a little practice or reading a Pool Book or watching Pool Videos would get you to a higher level. Good Luck

stickman
11-16-2002, 12:41 PM
I have a guy like that, but I haven't played him in a while. I think maybe it's a subconcious thing. If you play the same person over and over again, and they always beat you, I think your subconcious may believe that you can't beat this person. I know that at times, I play well enough to win against him, but it seems something always prevents me from doing so. He's the only person that affects me like that. (thank goodness) Now, if I could only get my subconcious to understand that: I CAN beat this guy..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif