PDA

View Full Version : Norman "The Jockey" Howard

TerryArdeno
03-08-2002, 12:06 AM
Someone has recently mentioned a player that supposedly played great that came from the Washington, Pa / Pittsburgh, Pa area named Norman "The Jockey" Howard. The only time I've ever heard his name was in Buddy Hall's book "Rags to Rifleman" & that was only a group picture that included this fellow. Who was he & is he still alive? Thanks!

03-08-2002, 05:17 PM
He was from a place called Union City that's either in NJ or PA, Terry; the nickname came from his height. Howard had one of the corniest hustler's acts I ever saw: ask someone to play some $2 9-ball, slough off a rack or two and raise the stakes slightly, repeat till he was stuck $15 or so, and then demand to play for $15 a game. Acted slightly drunk, too. On the square, he was considered a fairly good player - maybe slightly above shortstop level - and is remembered best as the only male player anyone ever saw burst into actual tears when he was getting beat. (There are many eyewitness accounts of this.) He played in the first few Johnston City tournaments of the early '60s without accomplishing much; as far as I know, he's still alive. GF

TerryArdeno
03-08-2002, 07:22 PM
George,
Thanks so much for the info & for taking the time to respond. You always seem to know the best tidbits!
Terry (formerly Terry from Penna)