PDA

View Full Version : Commonality Amongst Poolplayers....

Chris Cass
11-15-2002, 10:11 AM
You might think this post is NPR but I feel the need to express my love for this game and all of you. I began playing at 15 yrs old. It grabbed me as soon as I saw the first game played.

I was star struck by players that could move the cb around the table like watching figure skating. The finnesse and grace of positioning the cb is so beautiful. I've played pros and D players. I've seen uncanny shots and unbelieveable safety play.

I've met so many artists and have gotten to share the love of the game with total strangers. I've gotten advice and direction from every avenue and still have much to learn.

I've argued and seen many disputes over the love of this game. I've met people I love playing this game. I taken my level of play to the best of my abilities and still lack so much. I've regreted things and have been proud of many.

I've quit many times only to come back and share the love of my fellow players. Age is only a number when it comes to pool. I've seen young and old experience the joy of success and shared their sorrow.

The love of this game brings so many people togather from all walks of life. As long as you keep this game alive in you. You will feel the compassion for one another.

Poolplayers are a unique people. We've been there and know how one another feels. We support our fellow players with our best intentions. They're some that may feel dislike for others but they cannot see that their dislike is generated by the love for the game.

I for one have gained so much from this sport. I met my wife through pool. I've made countless friends whom I love very dearly. How do you thank all of them? You do it through a handshake, a simple high five, sweat a match, ask a question, a patt on the back and a caring smile. Even the opponent that makes a good shot. A gentle tap on the floor with your cue. Telling them, I share the love of the game with you and recognize your accomplishments.

Family extends further than this board where pool is concerned. Family, is what we all share. Love is what we all need. Caring and helping one another is what we do.

I love all of you,

Chris Cass

PQQLK9
11-15-2002, 10:23 AM
I LOVE you man...(can I use your SouthWest) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
11-15-2002, 10:44 AM
Oh great. Now you've made me misty-eyed here at work. Well, I just told everybody that my contacts are bothering me again. Funny thing is I was talking to my Honey Kato last night on the phone and I told him how it's so funny how people that you've never met become your friends simply through sharing the same passion for this game.

I too have quit playing. Well, not actually quit but I am on hiatus right now and the desire is sloooowly creeping back. And of course everyone that knows me knows that I never quit at this game. I love it too much.

Anyways, everything you said, the feelings are definitely mutual here.

Wendy

Rod
11-15-2002, 11:00 AM
Aww gee Chris, what did you have to go and say that for? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Same back at cha bud.

~~ rod has to go, sounds like my pc cooling fan is going to explode! needs a lube job

Kato
11-15-2002, 11:01 AM
tap, tap, tap. Feeling is mutual my friend.

R.J.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-15-2002, 11:09 AM
Chris,
Great post.
Last nite I was playing in a local 9 ball tournament.. just getting some competition mode exposure.. I've been laying off competion and concentrating on Banks and One Pocket practice.

Well, anyway.. I lost my first match 4-0 to a good friend and good player. He just played better than I did. Then I went thru the one loss side until the the 4th place match (24 players)

I played this 19 year old kid and saw something I hadn't seen in ages.. he was so nervous that his fingers and hand were shaking so bad, you could almost see sweat coming out of his finger nails. This kid was playing in his first match that he ever had that meant he could actually win some money.

I tried not to notice it.. and play my game.. but all I could think about was this kid and him being so nervous. We went to the hill and I was down on the 8 ball for an easy cut and shape on the 9 when I got up.. I didn't like the way I was leaning over the table.. adjusted and got down again... same feeling.. got up.. adjusted and once again I didn't like my feeelings... got the bridge out and it felt better.. but I was still not comfortable. I am sure that this probably took 2 full minutes of me figiting over the shot.. I should have taken a time out.. and gone and collected my thoughts.. all the time I was trying to get over the ball.. I kept thinking about this nervous kid.

Well you guessed it.. I ended up missing the shot... rattled the 8 ball in the pocket.. but the kid made the 8 and got terrible on the 9.. but, he just took a deep breath and went for the shot, rather than playing safe.. which was what most of the players would have done. Yes.. he made it and would you believe? I was extremely happy for this kid.. I was reminded of the passion that we all share competing and playing this great game.

Vicki
11-15-2002, 11:21 AM
I think the best way to honor your pool-playing friends is to just keep showing up. I have played for about 13 or 14 years now and I still see most of the same people now as I did back then. I think of them as the family that doesn't make me feel guilty, doesn't require more of me than I am capable, wants to share in things that are important to me, doesn't judge me because of the things that are important to me, and most of all, they show up - reliably, at the pool room, for tournaments, for leagues, just to practice, they are there.

I'll share a quick story. My X died from cancer - it'll be 4 years in December - and our friends decided to hold a memorial tournament to honor him and to put a little money away for our daughter. The owners of Champion Billirads donated the tables, time, and staff and basically closed to the general public for a day. Bill Klotz, one of the pool league operators donated his time and a little money to run the tournament. A photographer copied photos of my X - enough to give one to all of his friends - for free. And about 100 people came to play or just to make a donation. No one won any money for winning the tournament. It turned out that a couple thousand dollars was donated to my daughter to be saved for college.

Well, some of his friends have decided to do another memorial tournament and asked me to gather up some more photos to display around the pool room and to give to his friends again. Just goes to show you how much these guys care.

At my X's funeral I swear to you that there must have been every pool player within a 200 mile radius of where we live. And what was really remarkable about that fact is that they all knew each other. No pool player had to be introduced to another pool player, and all of us had kept in touch and knew about what had been going on with each other.

His own family hardly mentions his name but you can go the pool room on any given day and you will likely hear someone telling a story about him or honoring him in some other way. In a lot of ways, my pool buddies are my closest family. This sport has definately given more to me than I could ever give back and a whole lot more than I ever bargained for!

Vicki

JimS
11-15-2002, 11:34 AM
Beautiful thoughts Chris. Thanks for putting some love into my life today. It's my belief that the goal for each day should be that I put some love into someones life. That's the ONLY thing that matters or that will make the world a better place.

CarolNYC
11-15-2002, 12:25 PM
Although we have only spent one wonderful week in Vegas, the bond that was formed between us was like no other-as if we've known eachother since childhood!You are in my thought and heart heart each and everyday of my life and I will always be here for you and your family for whatever reason-I am an e-mail away and a phone call away!
If you ever need me,for anything,you just say the word! God bless you and your family and I pray we will be together again!
Love forever,
Carol

Fran Crimi
11-15-2002, 12:56 PM
WAIT A MINUTE....WAIT A MINUTE!

You think you feel the love now, good buddy? Well you ain't seen NUTHIN' yet! Just wait. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've met about a gazillion pool players and yep, we all have that common bond --- the love of the game. But every once in awhile a couple of gems pop out of the rough.

That's you and Heide.

Fran

rackmup
11-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Isn’t life an amazing thing? There are billions of people on this earth and we are but a very small minority drawn together by one common denominator: POOL. Some of us have met and broken bread together, others have just chatted on the phone and the majority of this minority, have only communicated through this forum. We have laughed at (and with) each other, disagreed and often times, engaged in heated debate.

We have shared joys and sorrows, accomplishments and failures, ups and downs, pictures of our pets and of our children and countless thoughts on how the various pool games should be played. We have supported each other through difficult personal times and praised each other during the high times. We have sent gifts across the country to each other (you know who you are.) Others have ensured that some of us have never had to go without that morning coffee (you know who you are) and some of us have considered others as close as we would our own brother (you know who you are as well.)

Pool is a wonderful game that, as Chris said, can be played until the very day our Creator calls us home. We can be extremely skilled or absolutely horrible at the table but the fun, the fellowship, the friendly “woofing” and the challenge of competition at all levels of play are rewarding to all who dare pull a cue from the wall.

The feelings that Chris’ words conveyed are most often prompted by a sudden realization of the warm feelings a love of friendship brings. Some people bottle up those feelings while others (like Chris) choose to share them with those that caused the feelings in the first place. I, for one, feel flattered that I might be included in that group to some small degree.

I have quoted it in private and public as well…”Friendship is one of the sweetest joys of life. Many might have failed beneath the bitterness of their burdens had they not found a friend.”

There are many here who enjoy these fellowships and others who simply do not understand them. If you get the “warm & fuzzies” because of what the game of pool has rewarded you with, then you are blessed by the gift of friendship. If this all confuses you, stop and think about that one (or more) special person(s) in your life and just how empty life would be without them.

Thanks for the kind and heart-felt words my Brother.

Regards,

Ken

cheesemouse
11-15-2002, 01:31 PM
Geez Chris, you got me again. Here I sit at home sick and not able to go to the pool tournament I spent a week in preparation for. The 'pool tribe' is gathering and I sit at home feeling sorry for myself because I'm going to miss it. I going to miss trying to win it but I'm also going to miss that buzz I get when I walk into a tournament site where all these like minded people have gathered to show their games off, the room is full of expectations each different than the other but with a common element; the love of the game. It is always a joy for me to be in the company of these people, the pool players, the tribe members and the pure energy that these event generate. I can enjoy the playing of the game, the watching of the game, the wolfing, the jokes, the ribbing, the good and bad fortune witnessed on every table in every match. I have never in all my years of pool playing ever regretted one of these gatherings. The sub-culture of pool is full of some of the nicest, most interesting people on earth. We all understand each other in some weird silent way. Nothing has to be said when a group of players sit and watch a match because in reality we are in the players head sharing his/hers thoughts with our own, we are part of the action because we are pool players who have done suffering and can share it silently with those around us. It is a good feeling being in the company of like mined folks. It makes me happy just to be there in the middle of gathering of the tribe of pool players. All the animals in the zoo are present. Some jerks, some saints, some new, some old hats, some good, some bad but all of a like mind we are pool players and we understand one anothers reason for being there and that is a love of the game and the people who play it. Once your a member of the tribe of pool players you are always a member even if you leave for a time you will be welcomed back by the collective mind of the pool player. You can play the game and be welcomed by all the only thing required is your presents. Just show up to play and you can get that warm fuzzy feeling that the tribe gives off...maybe it's just a game like other games but I've played other games and I have never experienced in those games the quiet calm that comes over me when I know I'm going to spend a day or a weekend with the pool playing tribe members. I love the tribe and the way being a member makes me feel. All pool players go to heaven...LOL LOL......DAMN I HATE MISSING OUT....

=k=
11-15-2002, 01:48 PM
thank you chris! what you sow you reap!! K

Wally_in_Cincy
11-15-2002, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vicki:</font><hr> His own family hardly mentions his name but you can go the pool room on any given day and you will likely hear someone telling a story about him or honoring him in some other way. In a lot of ways, my pool buddies are my closest family. This sport has definately given more to me than I could ever give back and a whole lot more than I ever bargained for!
<hr /></blockquote>

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

I could not choose my family.
Fortunately I can choose my friends.

I started playing in a league simply to play competitive pool. An unexpected surprise was the 100 or so new friends I have made since then. All joined together by the commonality of this wonderful game.

MikeM
11-15-2002, 02:20 PM
Thanks Chris and right back at you.

I've tried to explain to people what it is that makes me spend so much time on this board. I think I'll print out your post, because it just about says it all.

That smiling face hanging from my case wil now give me inspiration as well as putting a smile on my face.

Mike

stickman
11-15-2002, 02:31 PM
Wonderful post, Chris. I've made more friends at the pooltable than anywhere else. Chances are that I would not have ever met most of these people were it not for pool. I don't recall ever having made an enemy. Sometimes there may be a disagreement, but the next time we play, all is well again.

It's not what you take from this world, but rather what you leave behind. If you leave love and warm memories in peoples hearts, your spirit will continue to live after the body has deceased. You, my friend, will live a long, long time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
11-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Well put.

Eric

Karatemom
11-15-2002, 04:25 PM
What a wonderful thing to say, Fran. Thank you. You are one of a few on this board that I consider "family". Everyone on this board has been nothing but kind and respectful towards me, which means so much these days. I have the utmost respect for everyone on this board, and for the few that are closer to me, I don't know what I would do without you. I look forward to everyone's post and there isn't much that doesn't interest me. I can truly call you all my friends.

Heide

Barbara
11-15-2002, 04:53 PM
(sniff sniff)

I love all you guys and gals, too. There's something about sharing an addiction that makes us all bond together that much more.

It's funny, I don't shoot for my bar league anymore - I'm labeled as the "break glass in case of emergency" player on the roster, but I still call up the teammies on Wednesday morning to ask how they did Tuesday night. I miss playing with them and having a beer or four, but I don't miss the smoke at all!

I'll miss all you guys at Vegas next year. I even considered going out there by myself just to see you all, but I couldn't bring myself to go out there and have a great time while Pete's home by himself.

But I will be going to Miami in December to meet up with Voodoo Daddy and Kato!! Woooohoooo!!!

Barbara~~~oh yeah!!!!

Voodoo Daddy
11-15-2002, 07:21 PM
You suck Chris...I was gonna write that!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! As the informal "Leader" of a certain tribe I wanna let everyone that reads this know a few things. We all make an impact on each other...with good or bad words but losing sight of why we are all here has been a problem in the past. We all love this game, lifestyle and the people that come with it. I know that Chris is one of the most passionate people on this board of ours and he speaks from his soul. Reading his post kinda jarred a few things loose in my head, making me realize how lucky I am to have been involved in this game for 20+ years.

Quiting was mentioned. Lord knows I have hung it up outta anger, frustration, self-doubt and I even quit once just so my ex-wife could absorb my knowledge and play tournaments. Now, quiting isnt an option. As a matter of fact it would be like a punishment not to play pool. No one that loves this game, that has it running through their veins would really disgrace its by quiting...its a unwriten code.

Shortly after reading my post some of you will smile, knowing my words are hitting that spot in your heart that rises to the occassion...the soul of a pool player. I cant say I love you all like Chris can but those I love damn sure know it!!!

dddd
11-15-2002, 07:58 PM
imagine were in a pool hall, and you just made a good shot,
i tap my cue several times, "strongly". you do not stop your play but you hear it and think to yourself thanks.

well i'll say thank you out loud

i won't go on and water down the thought...
dddd - dennis

11-16-2002, 05:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> You might think this post is NPR but I feel the need to express my love for this game and all of you. I began playing at 15 yrs old. It grabbed me as soon as I saw the first game played.

I was star struck by players that could move the cb around the table like watching figure skating. The finnesse and grace of positioning the cb is so beautiful. I've played pros and D players. I've seen uncanny shots and unbelieveable safety play.

I've met so many artists and have gotten to share the love of the game with total strangers. I've gotten advice and direction from every avenue and still have much to learn.

I've argued and seen many disputes over the love of this game. I've met people I love playing this game. I taken my level of play to the best of my abilities and still lack so much. I've regreted things and have been proud of many.

I've quit many times only to come back and share the love of my fellow players. Age is only a number when it comes to pool. I've seen young and old experience the joy of success and shared their sorrow.

The love of this game brings so many people togather from all walks of life. As long as you keep this game alive in you. You will feel the compassion for one another.

Poolplayers are a unique people. We've been there and know how one another feels. We support our fellow players with our best intentions. They're some that may feel dislike for others but they cannot see that their dislike is generated by the love for the game.

I for one have gained so much from this sport. I met my wife through pool. I've made countless friends whom I love very dearly. How do you thank all of them? You do it through a handshake, a simple high five, sweat a match, ask a question, a patt on the back and a caring smile. Even the opponent that makes a good shot. A gentle tap on the floor with your cue. Telling them, I share the love of the game with you and recognize your accomplishments.

Family extends further than this board where pool is concerned. Family, is what we all share. Love is what we all need. Caring and helping one another is what we do.

I love all of you,

Chris Cass
<hr /></blockquote>

Dude, I love you too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This game? Uhh.. it's kindof a love/hate relationship. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rich R.
11-16-2002, 06:21 AM
Chris, you said things that I believe we all feel. Thank you for expressing our feelings in such an eloquent way.
Tap, Tap, Tap.

Alfie
11-16-2002, 07:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> [syrup snipped] <hr /></blockquote>Is this place turning into some kind of cult?

-- can't hardly take it

Popcorn
11-16-2002, 10:49 AM
I know you are being sarcastic, but pool is a cult, subculture, call it what you want. It doesn't matter how you play, there comes a time when you know you have become part of it. It even has it's own language and rules of behavior. I am most comfortable in a poolroom then anywhere else.

bluewolf
11-16-2002, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> [syrup snipped] <hr /></blockquote>Is this place turning into some kind of cult?

-- can't hardly take it <hr /></blockquote>

Whz wrong with you? Chris has a beautiful heart and wanted to share his feelings about pool and the wonderful people he has met. Unfortunately, i did not get to go to the ccb tournament, but have gotten to know some pool players here who are very nice and helpful. I have talked to one on the phone, I feel is becoming a friendship and have met 4 in person.

While many here have all their friends in pool, i have friends who arent in pool either. That is a choice each person has.

There is nothing wrong with emotions and expressing them like chris has.And no, this isnt a cult. It is a group of people brought together for love of the game.

blu

Stretch
11-16-2002, 12:45 PM
I feel a lot of love in this room. Thankyou one and all for such heart felt and honest emotion. You've just re-affirmed all the good things about this place and why we're here. Together we've faced the best and worst that this never ending experiment has shoveled our way, yet here we are still. One big happy disfunctional family LOL and i wouldn't have it any other way. St ~~finaly registered~~

Wally_in_Cincy
11-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the ranks of the registered. It will make your CCB experience more enjoyable.

Unread posts show up in orange.
You can send private messages.
and a bunch of other stuff too.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brent
11-16-2002, 04:15 PM
What can I say Chris...the post was pure gold.

Brent from Europe