PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with those BAD DAYS

bigbro6060
11-16-2002, 11:01 AM
You know, those days whether in play or practise where nothing seems to go right and you miss the easiest of shots

I had one of those days today, I was just practicing but still.

We all like to think we are on perfectly linear journey, that every time we play, we will be better than the time before. Deep down we know it doesn't work that way. Yesterday i was playing great, today it was terrible. Got my lowest Fargo score for ages (83), i usually average 130-140 at least. i had one innings when i missed the very first ball with ball in hand!

The problem with having these bad days is you start to doubt things about your technique and doubt whether you are at the level where you think you are. You have to put these things to the back of your mind and just right it off as a bad day.

Personally i think i need a break, i've been playing around 3 hours a day now at least for the last 3 weeks. Just like many bodybuilders overtrain, i think i may be and need a rest day. It's just so hard with my Pool table just sitting there saying "use me, use me"

I'm getting behind on my dvd watching, got about 15 still shrinkwrapped dvds, so tommorrow i'm having a movie day, no pool at all /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LC3
11-16-2002, 11:32 AM
I too had one of those days today. A few coworkers invited me to play some eight ball with them, so I figured I'd go along and just tone it down so I wouldn't look like an overbearing brute. It turned out I didn't have anything to tone down. I don't know if it was the crappy house cue with its marble-hard tip that was throwing me off, but on a few occasions I missed the pocket by a few inches. My highest run of the evening was four balls. I was devastated. I'll be at the pool room bright and early tomorrow.

bluewolf
11-16-2002, 11:37 AM
I know the feeling all too well. I used to be pretty decent for a beginner and even got some med hard cuts shots from time to time. Then I went through this time of great inconsistency where I would play decent one day and miss everything the next.

About a week ago, I turned this corner, and knew how to make those medium cuts shots with some kind of consistency. On league night, thurs, I was hot and superfocussed. I hit almost all of those shots and some hard cuts too. Not to say that I did not miss some too. Today I wasn't making as many as I made thurs but am still doing better than I used to. The fact that I am starting to reap the rewards of my practice, ie getting a little better, is a huge happiness to me. I called today a 'bad hair' day.

I think in any sport, a person has days where everything clicks and they are just on and they have days where they are lucky if they can put anything together.

I think that the good days, when a person is in stroke, they without effort do everything right but if playing above their sl, dont know why the balls went in.

Today, when I am not doing as well, I can dispassionately look at each shot and figure out what I did wrong. It seems like on cut shots, what looks like the right angle isnt and I kinda automatically aimed a little over like 1/2 tip and the ball went in, so I think I am learning to compensate for the cb and ob sticking and throw, without thinking about it. I think today is a good day. I am not so high on being on that I just pocket the balls without a thought. Today has been a day to analyze and pocket balls and miss some, I have accepted that I will not always be on, that there will be lows too.

Now I would like to continue to practice medium cuts shots and ocassionally more difficult ones too. Randy G gave a good method for this at pool school and ww gave me his method to try out.

Just everyday cant wait to get to the table, the great days and the not so great.

I hypothesize and hope this is true that a person's bad days arent as low when they get good. But I am not there yet. The more I learn, the more I realize I do not know very much and have so much more to learn. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blu

Wally_in_Cincy
11-16-2002, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LC3:</font><hr> I too had one of those days today. A few coworkers invited me to play some eight ball with them, so I figured I'd go along and just tone it down so I wouldn't look like an overbearing brute. It turned out I didn't have anything to tone down. I don't know if it was the crappy house cue with its marble-hard tip that was throwing me off, but on a few occasions I missed the pocket by a few inches. My highest run of the evening was four balls. I was devastated. I'll be at the pool room bright and early tomorrow.

<hr /></blockquote>

Man have I ever been there /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not really that good but I'm good enought to beat most recreational players and when I don't it drives me nuts /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Bad house cues can definitely throw your game off though. If you play in bars at all you should play with a house cue once a week just so you retain the feel for it. I get spoiled playing with good equipment and I forget how to play in the tavern.

stickman
11-16-2002, 12:25 PM
I think we all have them. My league play is pretty consistant. I'm not playing any tournaments until my finances are in better shape. Playing with friends is where most of my bad play experiences come from. I've particularly decided that I just don't play well in ring games. I just don't sit and watch 3 or 4 guys shoot, and then jump up and start shooting well. I do much better shooting heads up. I accept that I'll not always shoot at the top of my game, and knock on wood, it has been a while since I last had a miserable outing. What's worse is when a bad day turns into a week or more. I've experienced that also. I'd prefer to have a bad day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ludba
11-16-2002, 02:56 PM
The irony is that I came home last night and posted the same type of message under "I don't ever want to play like that again." Last night, nothing was working, and I was playing several sets of 9ball just for fun. There were no tournaments or leagues at stake, but it just feels crummy to play bad.

I've been playing or practicing for 4 hours for 12 of the last 13 days. I just can't keep myself away either.

But I have a tournament tonight, and I feel good about it, so I'm gonna go practice for 3 hours, take a couple hours break, and then win that tournament.

Karatemom
11-16-2002, 03:39 PM
I think we've all had them, no doubt. Just like you, I start doubting myself, then the aggravation and frustration sets in. Usually, by the next day, I've cleared my head enough to figure out that it just happens like that and that it won't last forever. I've had bad days and bad weeks. The bad days were few and far between. I'd shoot really lousy one day and then kick butt on league night. I do notice that when I shoot badly for a while, consistently, I do come out of it a little better than before I went in.

I think the most important thing to remember is that it won't last forever.

Heide

Chris Cass
11-16-2002, 04:15 PM
HAHAHHA

Hi Babe,

The thing is it doesn't stop at any level. The bad days do happen less and consistancy will prevail. This game has more pitfalls than any other sport. These pitfalls and bad days will teach you how the game is not to be played.

Losing everyway possible and missing, makes you ultimatly a better player in the end. Consistancy will pull up and then, once mastering that plateau there's another. LOL

One thing I've noticed most players including myself will, go through the motions of concentration and focusing but are they when these bad nights or slumps happen? Nope, it's only possible to focus and concentrate 100% on one thing at a time.

You can take a break, practice, shoot through it, or just refuse to acknowledge it, but it's there. I recently went though a terrible slump, you seen it. One that I thought I'd never get through. Took a break for a couple of days and practiced. Still, went back and stunk it up. Wasn't till I realized, I was putting too much thought into the slump and not enough into the fun part of the game.

I made a bad shot and thought, oh no here we go again. That just wasn't true. Now, I think it's a new shot and let that puppy go. If setbacks were taken a little less likely the real play will have to come out. If I took every pitfall life has to offer anywhere else, but on the chin? I would have quit this game long ago. Just because I've been playing like a pewk doesn't mean, I won't make a dime at the Derby. I just need to find a good spot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Keep your head high and beat the table. It's not about you, your opponent, the lighting, or any other excuse. It's about control and Murphy's Law. Don't trust whitey. Let him go and you'll see. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~not a quiter, but likes abuse. hahahha hey, ya think I should be named Kato? I meant the abuse part only. LOL

bigbro6060
11-16-2002, 04:22 PM
One thing i've learnt in the recent past

NEVER EVER PLAY WITH HOUSE CUES!

I honestly won't play unless i have my cue or a decent house cue. It's impossible to control the cueball with bad cues with a mega mushroomed tip. I just end up disappointing myself and not doing myself justice.

Brent
11-16-2002, 04:32 PM
HI everyone. Well I have the same problem ..but my situation is a bit worse than yourse. Well Im a beginner who has these bad days more often than all u here. It wasnt a long time ago when me and my buddy when out on a saturday night to play some pool and have a few beers. Well everything was great and I enjoyed playing that night so much that we had the table to ourselves for 6-7 hours. The bad thing was that my friend who is at the same level as me...well the final score was 27-6 to me. I was totally dominating everything. He couldnt even get close in 8-ball or straight..he got his few wins in 9-ball when I sometimes messed up a couple of last shots or something like that. Well that night made me think - maybe I have become a bit better player or maybe my friend had a very very bad day. In any case the worst thing is that when I went playing next week and missed some shots that I wasnt even afraid of missing that saturday night..well was that saturday a lucky break or what represents my current level? And now when I play worse than the sometimes I have played pretty good I start to think that I really suck and the bad games represent my level. That really sucks when there are silly thaughts like that messing my mind during a game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif any suggestions ? Thnx

Brent is thinking silly thaughts

bigbro6060
11-16-2002, 06:17 PM
For the record, a Bad day isn't playing worse than the best you've played, it's playing worse than the general average level you play at, the minimum you expect from yourself. I've seen some pretty ordinary players have the odd unreal day (the sun shines on a dog's ar*se sometimes /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) where nothing goes wrong for them, they have all the luck, all the rolls, then the next time and most times i see them play, they aren't much cop. There is no doubt that the better u get, the more consistent you get but even the best pros have bad days

stickman
11-16-2002, 06:44 PM
Brent, what I find that works well for me is forgetting the score, or whether I'm ahead or behind. I think instead about the simple pleasure I get from performing each shot correctly. It was this simple pleasure that initially attracted me to the game. When I think about the enjoyment of making each shot, it seems to croud out the negative thoughts of possibly losing, and the games seem to just take care of themselves. If I miss a shot, I don't get down on myself, instead I think about the three, four or however many shots I made before missing. I'm supposed to miss sometimes, it's okay. If I loose a match and play well, there was nothing I could have done to prevent losing. The other guy is supposed to win,if he plays better. My getting nervous or upset about it doesn't help me. Basically, all this is a positive attitude type of thing, but it helps me.

Chris Cass
11-16-2002, 11:02 PM
Hi Brent,

That's an easy one. On the nights or days your playing extremely well. Is the high level of your game. This shows you what your capabilities are. The bad nights or days are your lows. This is when your focus and concentration is array and your not at one with your mind and body.

Your actual level of play is in the middle of the road. You must practice and work hard to make your best night, the middle and then your best again will be raised a notch. Each level or plateau is farther and between after a certain level.

The levels are many but each one teaches you just a little more about yourself, pool and others. Each one can be more rewarding. At the higher plateau's you'll see the changes as slight as learning a paticular shot. These shots to master will be weapons in your arsenal. This, moves you up a notch at a time. Fail to try different adjustments in your game and you'll stay in the present level. Where ever that is.

Shots to pull your level up come after the consistancy of making the Straight in's, cuts, backs, caroms and billiards. Next comes the throws, jumps, kicks, multi rail banks and kill shots. Then, equipment changes and mind changes. Strategy, styles of play, sharking principles and much more.

These are just the beginning. Mental and physical take tons of time to learn. This is where you can think a ball in. I'm not losing it really. lol Ever take a bath and drop the soap. You sometimes can reach down and find it but can't possible see it, can you? Some call it ROTE.

Good Luck,

C.C.~~I hope this made some sence to you,

Kato
11-17-2002, 02:19 AM
I got news for ya Cass. Right now I'm on cloud 9. Step up son, right now, everyone gets played. I don't have to make a ball. Nothing shakes this feeling right now.

Kato~~~got a girl, not a blow up one, one that breaths and has lots of nice parts. Watch my game sore. It's comin', I'm dangerous now. Hate to say it but a complete R.J. is way better than an incomplete Kato. God she's a good kisser.

Brent
11-17-2002, 02:52 AM
Thnx Chris..ur posts always make sence.

bigbro6060
11-17-2002, 04:35 AM
Just for the record, today (the day after my Bad Day), i played for 5 hours (mostly practice, some games with a mate) and played really really well. I was practicing my long shots with lots of english and i was hardly missing, i was so happy. I also did some break practice and broke 14 in a row getting at least one ball (8Ball) and on the 15th i got two balls in but scratched /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

so no i didn't have the rest day from Pool that i said i would but i've just had dinner and am now going to settle in to watch my Pulp Fiction collectors edition dvd /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bluewolf
11-17-2002, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Just for the record, today (the day after my Bad Day), i played for 5 hours (mostly practice, some games with a mate) and played really really well. I was practicing my long shots with lots of english and i was hardly missing, i was so happy. I also did some break practice and broke 14 in a row getting at least one ball (8Ball) and on the 15th i got two balls in but scratched /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

so no i didn't have the rest day from Pool that i said i would but i've just had dinner and am now going to settle in to watch my Pulp Fiction collectors edition dvd /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Glad you were playing better bro. Why did you use lots of english on long shots?

Sounds like you are better than me. using english on long shots makes me miss em.

blu

Chris Cass
11-17-2002, 12:51 PM
That's great news Bro,

I also like the movie too. Wish we could watch it togather. Maybe, split a Kato? A Kato is what I call out here in corn country, a small snack. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Glad to hear the day day was just that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

Chris Cass
11-17-2002, 12:56 PM
So basically your experiencing "New Girl Syndrome."

HAHAHAHAHA,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheesemouse
11-17-2002, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kato~~~got a girl <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red">LIE TO HER AND DON'T BE YOURSELF </font color> <font color="black"> Just trying to help...LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

bigbro6060
11-17-2002, 06:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>]

Glad you were playing better bro. Why did you use lots of english on long shots?

Sounds like you are better than me. using english on long shots makes me miss em.

blu <hr /></blockquote>

In matches i would only use such shots very very sparingly for sure, but i like to practice such shots just to know i can do them if necessary, for a deeper understanding of spin and just as an extreme test of cueing and judgement
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm no master at them so for me to pot them so well was very cool for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Voodoo Daddy
11-18-2002, 03:36 AM
DUDE!!! You just broke hearts with your I gotta girl thing...its gonna be like women findin' out that Rick Hudson was gay!!! Man, your brutal /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!! Voodoo on the other hand has no woman now....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

CarolNYC
11-18-2002, 08:12 AM
No wonder RJ,
I was up in Manhatten the other evening and I dont know if you've ever seen the Times Square huge television in the Center of Times Square-but in NEON lights,all of a sudden,this BIG RED BROKEN HEART comes flashing on and right underneath it were the words-
"ALL THE GIRLS IN THE UNITED STATES-SORRY-RJ IS NOW TAKEN!LOOK ELSEWHERE!
love ya,
Carol~at least I know now and every tourist in America will see it-I think its going to be up there for a month!:):):):):)

CarolNYC
11-18-2002, 08:17 AM
YOU GOT TWO COMING YOUR WAY,MY FRIEND!Can RJ top that?
Carol:):):):)

Barbara
11-18-2002, 09:42 AM
Make that THREE!!! I'll be there Saturday afternoon!!

Barbara~~~can Voodoo handle us???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
11-19-2002, 03:21 AM
Ahhhhh,Yes,
Had could I have forgotten my goddess with the "halo"!
He'll handle us all right!:)
Carol~knows Steves side will be kiling him from laughter!:)

TomBrooklyn
11-19-2002, 03:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Why did you use lots of english on long shots?<hr /></blockquote>One uses english on longer shots for the same reason they would use it on shorter shots I imagine. Longer shots are just harder to make.

I know a guy that used to practice a drill shooting spot shots from behind the headstring. The drill was to make 10 in a row with no english, then 10 with high right, 10 with low right, 10 with high left, and 10 with low left. If he missed one, he did that 10 over. He was the best player in the world, however.

I made a table length combination shot in league play last week where I had to use english. I couldn't see enough of the first ball to hit it straight enough so I used english to throw it straighter, despite Mike Segal's assertion that it can't be done.

START(%AZ9U8%EJ6Y1%Ha3J6%K]0V8%LH4W6%Pn1U1%QJ6Y2%W]1U7%Xl9U4%YL7Y0%ZY7V1%[C2[7%\I6Y5%]M0Y6%^Y6V1%eA4a4)END

Without english, the straightest I could have made the one ball go is along the A line.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Voodoo Daddy
11-19-2002, 07:28 AM
Question is...can "yous" handle me? The answer is a few weeks away...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Rich R.
11-19-2002, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Question is...can "yous" handle me? The answer is a few weeks away...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! <hr /></blockquote>
Voodoo, I have met these women. Be afraid, be very afraid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

CarolNYC
11-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Aww,Cm'on Rich,
You know we're going to have him cracking up!
love ya,
Carol

Rich R.
11-19-2002, 10:56 AM
Carol, I just want the Voodoo man to be prepared. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Kato may be able to handle it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11-19-2002, 11:02 AM
I'm coming down there with my cues so let's see how
Kato handles this!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Babs

"I'm coming out so you better get this party started."

Rich R.
11-19-2002, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Babs:</font><hr> I'm coming down there with my cues so let's see how
Kato handles this!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Babs

"I'm coming out so you better get this party started." <hr /></blockquote>
Babs, Kato may be able to handle Barbara, but there is no way he can handle you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
11-23-2002, 03:32 AM
You Betcha! get a bag ready cause your coming back to NY with us!Please?
love ya,
Carol