PDA

View Full Version : pool instructors

bluewolf
11-16-2002, 01:23 PM
i took a lesson from scott but he only comes through here 2-3 times a year. randy's pool school wont be back until next summer or fall.

Now that I am shooting better (and ww and I have good jobs) I would like to find a very good instructor who can work with me more often. I am in the dc, northern va area. This makes a 4 hour drive to ny or could go to pennsylvania or wva or here.

Please send me some names that you would recommend to keep me fine tuned and to point out anything i am doing wrong so it can be fixed.

blu

PQQLK9
11-16-2002, 02:33 PM
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/

Ludba
11-16-2002, 03:34 PM
I don't know why, pqqlk9, but that link takes you to the league/tournament play section. Then if you click on instructors and then the instructors subheading, the link is still the same. ???

Anyway, below I've cut and pasted the instructors from virginia, pennsylvania, and new york, but I think the question bluewolf was asking was,"Would anyone recommend a particular instructor out of the list below?"

Virginia:

POWELL MARK HERNDON VA 703-476-6527
PURDY DONALD LEESBURG VA 703-777-7913
STEPHEN BILL RICHMOND VA 804-272-5124
WEIDNER KARL HERNDON VA 703-919-9763
HARDING KENNETH C CENTREVILLE VA 703-222-3666

Pennsylvania:
STUM ALLAN DILLSBURG PA 717-432-8698
WHITESIDE MARK PITTSBURGH PA 412-781-7920
CHOMOR RALPH SHARON PA 724-346-3847
DIEHL ROBERT ENOLA PA 717-766-2995
HORNBAKER GENE MERCERSBURG PA 717-328-3609

NY:
KOH HELEN ELMHURST NY 718-426-8805
LYNCH CHRISTOPHER BROOKLYN NY 718-234-5150
NEIL ROBERT BROOKLYN NY 718-258-5879
AMOROSANO DOMINICK COLD SPRING NY 845-265-2632
SUDEN, JR. WILLIAM STATEN ISLAND NY 718-356-8204
WATSON ROBERT FOREST HILLS NY 718-520-0332
CONTE VICTOR A. UTICA NY 315-735-2176
CONTE VICTOR J. UTICA NY 315-733-2187
CRIMI FRANCINE LONG ISLAND NY 718-937-0376
FINKELSTEIN MARK FOREST HILLS NY 718-793-4745
HOFFMAN EDIN NEW YORK NY 212-777-5436
HOFSTATTER GERDA BROOKLYN NY -

9 Ball Girl
11-16-2002, 05:31 PM
He's not on the list but Tony Robles is an instructor I would add also. You can find him at Corner Billiards, 212-995-1314, Mondays thru Thursdays.

bluewolf
11-16-2002, 06:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> He's not on the list but Tony Robles is an instructor I would add also. You can find him at Corner Billiards, 212-995-1314, Mondays thru Thursdays. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the list. I was wondering if any of you have experience with certain ones you think would be good.

blu

Popcorn
11-17-2002, 01:04 AM
From the perception I get of your play from your posts, you could do well with an instructor that may play at your own pool room. You don't need a $50.00 an hour instructor at this point, if ever. You just need a good player with knowledge of the game to play with on a regular basis. That is how the worlds best players themselves learned the game. They got around good players over a long period of time. You sort of soak in the game and don't even know it is happening, there is no magic formula. If there is a secret, that is probably it. Most top players will tell you that when they got around good players on an everyday basis, that as when they saw their games jump. There is just so much to learn, you have no idea at this point.

bluewolf
11-17-2002, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> From the perception I get of your play from your posts, you could do well with an instructor that may play at your own pool room. You don't need a $50.00 an hour instructor at this point, if ever. You just need a good player with knowledge of the game to play with on a regular basis. That is how the worlds best players themselves learned the game. They got around good players over a long period of time. You sort of soak in the game and don't even know it is happening, there is no magic formula. If there is a secret, that is probably it. Most top players will tell you that when they got around good players on an everyday basis, that as when they saw their games jump. There is just so much to learn, you have no idea at this point. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah. I am just seeing the tip of the iceberg. I think what makes it hard to play twos is that they leave all these balls in the middle stuck together. I, myself need to learn to break better. When I played this two last week, I just busted up the balls so the game wouldnt last so long. Another thing. I havent figured out how to combine making a shot with breaking up balls. This I need to learn too.

As far as local instructors go, I will have to check around. Most of the pool players here are 4's and 5's. Lots of the 7's are not all that great either, but there are a few that are, so guess I could start with them. I know a couple of real good money players but don't know if they teach or not.

thanks for the suggestions

blu

bluewolf
11-17-2002, 07:46 AM
OTOH, I would not give anything for the instruction I got from scott and randy gs pool school. While I do have to practice a lot, at least they helped me to develop a good stroke, follow through and good bridge. imo, they were well worth the money. Without the fundamentals they taught me, I would be nowhere.

I paid 100 dollars to scott for a two hour lesson and video tape. He has a real work ethic and he was determined that my stroke was gonna be good before the lesson was over. So, while we worked longer than two hours, i left with a decent stroke.

Randy gs pool school was well worth the money too. My stroke,bridge, eye movements were refined plus I learned how to do stop shots and about tangent lines, which is a valuable tool for position, especially on cuts. Randy's pool school at 600 or so sounds pricy but it really isnt. I got 24 hours of instruction and almost one on one the whole time.

I would not trade either of these experiences for anything. These guys will always have a special place in my heart for what they have taught me.I dont mind paying $50 or so an hour. I want to be good at pool, am willing to put in the time and effort, so want the best instruction available.

In my games with ww,he has been giving me an additional handicap. He has been playing leftie, which knocked him to a 4-5. I think I am going to start playing him as a 7 and take my knocks. I think I will get better that way.

blu

Ross
11-17-2002, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I think what makes it hard to play twos is that they leave all these balls in the middle stuck together. I, myself need to learn to break better. When I played this two last week, I just busted up the balls so the game wouldnt last so long. <hr /></blockquote>

BW, you make a good point. I don't understand why APA captains so often play 2's against each other. When I was in this role in APA 9-ball I avoided setting these matches at all costs. They took way too long and ended up just being struggles to get the balls off the table, often ending up with frustrated players and spectators. I found it much better for everyone involved to play a 2 against a higher ranked player. It went faster for the spectators, the higher ranked player had to use some strategy which made the match more interesting, and the two's seemed to enjoy the matches more and learn more themselves. And, believe it or not, higher ranked players are more likely to hang balls in the pocket, because they tend to miss small. These hangers often give the 2 a running start to run a few balls and get their confidence up.

Ross
11-17-2002, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ludba:</font><hr> NY:
KOH HELEN ELMHURST NY 718-426-8805
LYNCH CHRISTOPHER BROOKLYN NY 718-234-5150
NEIL ROBERT BROOKLYN NY 718-258-5879
AMOROSANO DOMINICK COLD SPRING NY 845-265-2632
SUDEN, JR. WILLIAM STATEN ISLAND NY 718-356-8204
WATSON ROBERT FOREST HILLS NY 718-520-0332
CONTE VICTOR A. UTICA NY 315-735-2176
CONTE VICTOR J. UTICA NY 315-733-2187
CRIMI FRANCINE LONG ISLAND NY 718-937-0376
FINKELSTEIN MARK FOREST HILLS NY 718-793-4745
HOFFMAN EDIN NEW YORK NY 212-777-5436
HOFSTATTER GERDA BROOKLYN NY -
<hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, BW, I've heard this Francine Crimi's pretty good. Maybe you should give her a call... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ludba
11-17-2002, 10:40 AM
"When I played this two last week, I just busted up the balls so the game wouldnt last so long."

This is an effective tactic I use when playing against someone who doesn't shoot as well or have as many high runs as me. In cases like that fewer innings means fewer chances for them to luck in balls or leave me bad.

bluewolf
11-17-2002, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, BW, I've heard this Francine Crimi's pretty good. Maybe you should give her a call... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

After the flame war between fran and me, I mean I did not know then how good she really was and since then have heard she is just about the best instructor there is and lots of people say she is a real nice person.

I really screwed up on that one and have been reluctant to call her because she might still hate me and not want me as a student. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blu

Cueless Joey
11-17-2002, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>
<hr /></blockquote>
Women don't hold grudges, do they? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
After the flame war between fran and me, I mean I did not know then how good she really was and since then have heard she is just about the best instructor there is and lots of people say she is a real nice person.

I really screwed up on that one and have been reluctant to call her because she might still hate me and not want me as a student. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blu <hr /></blockquote>

bluewolf
11-17-2002, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>
<hr /></blockquote>
Women don't hold grudges, do they? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

It depends on the woman. I try not to but some women do hold them to their last breath.

blu

CarolNYC
11-17-2002, 02:44 PM
You know what Bluewolf,
I really dont ever want to be associated with you but let me say this-you are so "Woe is me" your pathetic-your damn leftbrain crap has been worn out-as for holding grudges, Fran is a professional-do you really think she even gives you a moments thought,NOT-but I ,for one, was hoping you'd be at Rockville(along with quite a few others) being that Germantown is just a few miles away and you play your APA league there-then you would have seen the wrath of a FULL-brainedperson!And a word of advice,keep her name off your posts,cause thats all you ever do-Next time, show respect to people who you dont know,maybe things will look better for you in the future-and like you always said ,as proud as can be ,"Im the FLAMEQUEEN!"Read the Bible"REAP WHAT YOU SOW!"
Carol~dont respond or it'll be on!

nAz
11-17-2002, 06:09 PM
http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/sz/pikachusgoodbye.gif

hehe

bluewolf
11-17-2002, 06:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/sz/pikachusgoodbye.gif

hehe <hr /></blockquote>

NAZ you are a hoot. where in the world do you get these pictures!!!! hope you are in nyc when i come to visit.

blu

nAz
11-17-2002, 06:40 PM
cool when you come ill take you to golden cue PH on a monday night so you can watch the tourny, lots of Pros play there you will just love to meet hehe http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/realhappy/jump.gif

bluewolf
11-17-2002, 06:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> cool when you come ill take you to golden cue PH on a monday night so you can watch the tourny, lots of Pros play there you will just love to meet hehe http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/realhappy/jump.gif <hr /></blockquote>

wow. sounds like fun. letz go on the chat forum hehe

blu

CarolNYC
11-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Cm'on now Naz,
Do I have to teach you brooklynites everything? Bathtub,handcuffs,quiet chainsaw and then the old necktie!ha ha ah aha-didnt you see scarface?
And poor pikachu-he doesnt deserve that!
Carol~has a few friends who taught her well!:)

nAz
11-18-2002, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Cm'on now Naz,
Do I have to teach you brooklynites everything? Bathtub,handcuffs,quiet chainsaw and then the old necktie!ha ha ah aha-didnt you see scarface?
And poor pikachu-he doesnt deserve that!
Carol~has a few friends who taught her well!:) <hr /></blockquote>

LOL carol your very astute

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/edoom/heads_or_tails.gif

TomBrooklyn
12-02-2002, 09:52 PM
Billiards Digest Cover Girl and Columnist, former Number 2 Ranked Professional Female Player in the World, Best Selling Pool Instructional Book Author, Critically Acclaimed Pool Photographer, Ground Breaking Pool Promoter and Talent Scout who discovered, nurtured and launched the careers of a number of top women professionals including BCA Hall of Famer Loree Jon Jones and the only female BCA Master Instructor in the world whose name I won't mention, and Founder and First President of the Woman’s Professional Billiards Association, Billie Billing, gives pool lessons, by appointment, at Brownstone Billiards, located on the corner of Flatbush and 7th Avenues amongst the historic brownstones and mansions originally built by the 20th century monied gentry in beaucolic Park Slope, Brooklyn, a few miles from that more famous middle class part of Flatbush Avenue that inspired the classic 1974 film about The Lords Of that fabled promenade./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Once upon a time I myself took a beginners group class with Billy which catapaulted me into my present illustrious pool career. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif =TB

silverbullet
12-03-2002, 05:34 AM
Scott is coming! Scott is coming!!! Yahoo!!!!
Maybe I could poolnap him....heehhee

Laura

12-03-2002, 12:24 PM
Yea, yea, Santa Clause is coming too. Maybe he'll bring me a pool table, and a boat, and a bigger house, and a new Corvette, and ........

silverbullet
12-03-2002, 04:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SlimJim:</font><hr> Yea, yea, Santa Clause is coming too. Maybe he'll bring me a pool table, and a boat, and a bigger house, and a new Corvette, and ........ <hr /></blockquote>

scott brings something better.a perfect stroke which rubs off on me more and more each time he teaches me.

Laura

Alfie
12-03-2002, 05:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> scott brings something better, a perfect stroke which rubs off on me more and more each time he teaches me. <hr /></blockquote> Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more, say no more.

Scott Lee
12-03-2002, 11:15 PM
bw....awwwwww shucks! LOL...need a job as my agent?

Scott