PDA

View Full Version : Luck, Sloppy Play and a Cheeseburger...

rackmup
11-17-2002, 08:30 AM
Last night, after a great day at church (attended a Men's Conference that featured a Sports Psychologist for the San Antonio Spurs) I headed for Billy Weir's to hook up with OnePocketChamp and eg8r.

OPC was deep into a $20 per game set against our buddy, Lee. eg8r was sitting alone, like the ugly girl at the High School dance.

We tee it up for a friendly race-to-20 for nothing but bragging rights (I'll tell you later in this post who was braggin' and who was saggin'.) After that set, we play another friendly race-to-20 for $1.00 per game difference in games won over the other (again, news on who the victor was later.)

Now, I love eg8r like a brother but the guy has the fortunate "luck of the Irish." He would go along, potting ball-after-ball, only to miss BADLY but snookering me behind something!

Now I could excuse this if it just happened every now and then but he was doing it with practically every missed shot!

His good fortune did not end there. Whenever a nine-ball-ride would present itself, eg8r would carefully line up the shot and fire at it, missing his intended pocket by 12-18", causing the cheese to travel 5 rails and ultimately, caroming off an object ball into a hole for the win. Did it happen just once? Oh nooooooo. It happened multiple times.

Now, I don't want to detract from eg8r's "nineball playing prowess" but GIVE ME A BREAK! I was more frustrated than a lifer looking at last month's Playboy.

He beat me handily in the first set and took $10 from me during the second set.

I don't know what his secret is but I swear, I am certain there is an ad in some newspaper classifieds secton in <font color="red">Hell</font color> that reads:

"FOR SALE- My Soul. In "like new" condition, hardly used. $500 cash or will trade to the Devil for pool-playing luck. Contact Ed @ www.Cant_make_a_clean_shot.com"

Trust me...he sold that soul on the very first day the ad ran.

The highlite of the day was when Ed's wife brought us cheeseburgers from Tommy's, the best burgers in the universe.

Have any of you ever played someone that you felt you should least "hang with", yet through their five-rail-carom-jump-miscued-slop-shots or nineball-rides that-go-no-where-near-their-intended-pocket-yet-still-find-a-hole-after-hitting-three-rails-and-six-other-balls, left you "holding the bag"?

Regards,

Ken (if I sound bitter...well, I just might be)

11-17-2002, 09:40 AM
your not as good as you think YOU are.

Usually when 2 people are very close in ability, a little luck can make for some lopsided scores.

bluewolf
11-17-2002, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote A.L.F:</font><hr> your not as good as you think YOU are.

Usually when 2 people are very close in ability, a little luck can make for some lopsided scores. <hr /></blockquote>

pool players are like fishermen, they all think they are better than they are....except for the very best....

the best recipe i have found is a bit of humble pie...just when i thought i was good, i did not play so hot, which brought me back to reality...

and i can be very good in practice on my table at home and not achieve that same level in a match...

i dont know about rackemup, but i believe egg8r has had his unlucky moments too...from my novice vantage point they all look pretty good to me.lol

blu

eg8r
11-17-2002, 10:19 AM
I find it unlucky when Ken breaks, no balls go it. I then get up, run the table to the 9 and miss. The lucky part is that last night even if I missed the cue ball was still rolling and I still had a chance. Funny thing is that when this would happen and the cueball did not go in hole4 or 5, then Ken was snookered behind the point in a pocket.

eg8r &lt;~~~Proud of the balls I run, and thankful for just a little luck on my side.

eg8r
11-17-2002, 10:22 AM
Just so everyone knows, we were not playing call shot 9ball. I did miss some that I should have made and they happened to go into another pocket. Beginners luck.

I think the one shot that really hurt Kens feelings was a certain 9ball. The cue ball and 9 ball were set up almost perfect for the 4 rail bank into the corner pocket right next to where the object ball was sitting. Well, I hit it so well that instead of going 4 rails, it went 2 and I got the win.

eg8r &lt;~~~Remembers his fortunes when the famine hits

Chris Cass
11-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Hi Ken,

That cheeseburger sounds really good right about now. Sounds like Ed's wife is a total sweetheart. Anyway, it looks like my coaching lessons are working out for eg8r. LOL

Looks like eg8r's new nickname might be "Luckbox" hahaha not for long though. The Derby's coming and then his new nickname will be "Kid 9 ball" LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~eg8r: "Do you think I need to lose weight?" Forrest Whittaker, The Color Of Money /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif one of my favorite actors BTW. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
11-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Chris, that is funny you added the quote to the bottom. I just finished watching Color of Money this weekend. I had not seen the movie in a couple of years so I rented it this weekend with the free coupon I posted on the board.

By the way, could you believe the whining we would have to endure if I made all those shots into the intended pocket. Man, he would want a little weight then. lol

eg8r

bluewolf
11-17-2002, 04:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Chris, that is funny you added the quote to the bottom. I just finished watching Color of Money this weekend. I had not seen the movie in a couple of years so I rented it this weekend with the free coupon I posted on the board.

By the way, could you believe the whining we would have to endure if I made all those shots into the intended pocket. Man, he would want a little weight then. lol

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

we bought the color of money and the hustler real cheap at wallmart. in dvd i think one was 9.99 and one was 14.99

blu

OnePocketChamp
11-17-2002, 05:53 PM
The real story behind this post is what happened in the one hole match being played on the very next table to this above spoken charade. The whining was soooo bad I couldn't even get into my game and as a result broke even with the Snakeman after 5 hours. Now, I was hoping to win another dead president or two from this match and of course take both Rackmup, Miama Ed and his lovely wife out for steaks but alas NO WIN, NO DINNER!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
11-17-2002, 09:24 PM
OPC, will you please bring me some of those ear plugs. After the 3 beatings in a row, rackmup would not quit whining. It was so bad at the end, that I just had to win so we could go home. lol

eg8r

Chris Cass
11-17-2002, 09:59 PM
Hi OPC,

You guys in Texas are having way too much fun.

Regards,

C.C.~~eg8r's long distance coach and part time Voodoo expert, in training.

rackmup
11-18-2002, 10:47 AM
First off...eg8r will NEVER live up to the nickname that OPC wants to bestow upon him. "Miami Ed" would be fitting of a great player, with smooth moves and a strong game. He would also roll up to the poolhall in a red sportscar, bearing vanity plates that read: "9BALLRIDE". /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eg8r rolls up in his Dodge Neon, puts together that Meucci cue (with the fancy laminate imitation inlays) and begins to slop balls in like a swine at the trough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

His new nickname and one that fits his game is (and Mrs. Eg8r agrees)... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

...PIGPEN! (with apologies to "Peanuts" fans everywhere.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm going to suggest the next time eg8r and I match up, that we play "call-pocket" on every shot. I doubt he could win 5 games out of 20 if the "luck" factor is negated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As for OPC not being able to "cash in" on Snakeman, well...what can I tell you? If you are that easily sharked by a little "vocal banter", I suggest you sell those cues, get a library card and take up the quiet sport of "Competition Speed Reading" or perhaps Chess. I hear that is a popular activity at the local retirement homes among people of your "age group". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

Ken (rolls up to the poolhall in the ugliest truck in Texas but puts together a sweet-looking cue and doesn't "slop" anything in.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
11-18-2002, 11:36 AM
Oh my Gawd,

This is too funny. HAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHHA

C.C.

eg8r
11-18-2002, 12:05 PM
Awww rackmup, you sound a little sore today.

eg8r

Kato
11-18-2002, 12:26 PM
Cat fight!!!!!!! CAT FIGHT!!!!!!!!

Quick Wendy, put some pics up of smiley faces fighting or something.

Kato

rackmup
11-18-2002, 12:29 PM
SORE??? I'm downright bitter.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

eg8r
11-18-2002, 12:38 PM
Ken after I pot a tough shot.
http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/dvv/cwmddd.gif

Ken and I after he accuses me of slop
http://jeeptalk.org/crack/smilies/otn/angry/argue.gif

LOLOLOL

eg8r
11-18-2002, 12:42 PM
And you are in debt.

http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/cwm/cwm/hafuckingha.gif

eg8r

rackmup
11-18-2002, 01:28 PM
I will win that $10 back and move into the black next time we play "call-all-shots-9-ball".

Your game will stutter worse than Mel Tillis attempting children's tongue twisters!

Regards,

Ken ("umm...K-K-Ken, I'm g-g-gonna c-c-call that one b-b-ball here in the c-c-corner...")

9 Ball Girl
11-18-2002, 02:00 PM
http://members.aol.com/simpsonfun/others/itchy.gif