PDA

View Full Version : adjusting to table speed and unintentional english

pass
11-17-2002, 10:31 AM
I was having trouble this weekend getting used to different kinds of table cloth when playing at the bars. The table I practice on is much faster than the usual bar tables, and I missed quite a few shots to begin with before I got used to the slower cloth.

Do you guys have any tips for quickly adjusting to a new table?

oh, one more thing, i noticed on long centerball shots hit with high speed, I seem to be putting just a hair of right hand english on the cue ball but I can't seem to figure out why. I tried adjusting my bridge and grip but I couldn't fix the problem. I know its difficult to give suggestions without actually seeing me shoot, but if anybody has any ideas on how to fix the problem I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.

Cueless Joey
11-17-2002, 11:01 AM
1. Lag the ball 2 rails and 3 rails, feel the tip. Try to recall the tip feel.
2. I think your elbow is tucked in too inside (if you are a righty).

pass
11-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Yep, i'm a righty. I tried moving my elbow out a little bit but it didn't seem to help. Thanks for the suggestion though. Guess I'll keep trying slight adjustments to see if I can pin down what it is I am doing wrong.

dave
11-18-2002, 12:16 PM
Another possible cause: I find that sometimes, on the follow through, I'll start to TWIST my wrist as it comes forward instead of allowing it to break along the natural angle of the forward pendulum movement.

stickman
11-18-2002, 12:19 PM
I used to unintentionally put right on the cueball fairly consistantly. The cause turned out to be that I was lining up the cue directly under my chin. I'm right handed and right eye dominate. Once I shifted the cue to line up directly under my right eye, I was hitting center ball. Just something else to check for.

Jim