PDA

View Full Version : Putting up own points!

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 06:30 AM
On individual 9 ball league, opponent has me 5-0-I mark scores and ALWAYS call score out so theres no mistake-now i win one-I mark it-call out 5-1- well, he's hi-hoing around the table like one of the 7 dwarfs-now, it comes down to me 7-5-I call the score out,mark it and he blatantly and rudely says "I'll mark your score!" I responded kindly "Thankyou,but Im not use to that!"Maybe Im wrong, but dont players mark there own wins?
Carol~doesnt trust anyone who sings Hi-Ho!:)

Doctor_D
03-08-2002, 06:47 AM
Good morning Carol:

A very wise woman once told me, "When in Doubt - Knock em Out"! Words to live by.

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
03-08-2002, 06:54 AM
Oh Dr.D.,
You kill me. I heard it a little differently way back when but, I like yours better.LOL
C.C.

Chris Cass
03-08-2002, 07:00 AM
Hi Carol,
Normally, it's you mark your own. I think your opponent was just trying to get your goat. I would have said, well just put me on the hill then, It'll save time. LOL
Best Regards,
C.C.~~Carol's opponents are sweating her.

TomBrooklyn
03-08-2002, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> A very wise woman once told me, "When in Doubt - Knock em Out"! <hr></blockquote>Doctor, are you suggesting that Carol should have rendered her singing opponent unconscious?

Is there a preferred method for who marks the score in pool? I know in darts, the proper etiquette is that the non-throwing player removes the darts from the board and mark the score.

Doctor_D
03-08-2002, 07:32 AM
Good morning:

I must acknowledge the fact that the phrase "When in Doubt - Knock em Out" is not my creation. The very wise woman who shared this revelation with me is the one and only "Carol-NYC"

Dr. D.

TomBrooklyn
03-08-2002, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> On individual 9 ball league,... i win one-I mark it-call out 5-1- well, he's hi-hoing around the table like one of the 7 dwarfs-now... ~doesnt trust anyone who sings Hi-Ho!:)<hr></blockquote>Carol, can you identify the guy from this picture? http://www.filmsite.org/posters/snow4.gif
By the way, was he using a step-stool to reach the table when he was shooting?

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 08:06 AM
LMAO Tom.
Yes,he's the Doc!ha ha ha
Carol

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Hey there you icon of respect,
I KNOCK'em out and puddem in the bathroom!ha ha ha
Carol:)
Have a nice day!

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 08:15 AM
Hey Chris,
I should have said "Player,what is your malfunction?" ha ha ha-and the "When in doubt, knock'em out is a "Support your local 81" motorcycle saying up on 3rd street for anyone who grew up with motorcycles! Good rule!Stay well my dear friend!
love,
Carol

TomBrooklyn
03-08-2002, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr>I should have said "Player,what is your malfunction?" <hr></blockquote>Or you could have said this... http://www.cyberstreet.com/users/ssunman/simpsons/earth2stupguy.wav

jjinfla
03-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Around here it is the responsibility of the player to mark his/her own win (usually pennies on the table)and if the player fails to mark the win he/she loses the win once the next game starts. Most people don't follow that rule to the letter but I have seen some stick to it. And have seen a match lost because a player failed to mark his win. In the better tournaments where the better players play and they use the flip cards everyone flips their own cards. Don't know what the rule is there when a player fails to flip a card before the next game starts. When I watched Ewa, Belinda, Jennifer and Vivian play in a tournament they all marked their own wins and never once mentioned the score during the match. Jake

03-08-2002, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey Chris,
I should have said "Player,what is your malfunction?" ha ha ha-and the "When in doubt, knock'em out is a "Support your local 81" motorcycle saying up on 3rd street for anyone who grew up with motorcycles! Good rule!Stay well my dear friend!
love,
Carol <hr></blockquote>

Hey Carol,

Isn't it "Support your local Red &amp; White"?

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 10:18 AM
Eric,
Grew up with them since 14-so I gather you know those colors are patented also-do you know what 81 stands for?Very Curious to who you are now-now we must meet in VF!
Stay very well-until then
Carol

03-08-2002, 10:27 AM
I guess we all have a story. I'm form NY, moved to NJ when I was a kid. I guess you can say I'm in the know also.
I'd love to shoot the breeze with ya, I'll be there Sat.

P.S.- If I get fired for spending 24/7 here it's YOUR fault!

03-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Hi Carol,

Sorry to have to tell you this, but your opponent was right to be upset. By marking both yours and his scores, you were denying him access to the score, even though you were calling out the score. A lot of players don't realize this but you shouldn't mark both yours and your opponent's score. Unless there's an official scorekeeper, both players should be marking the score. If you are using the beads above or coins under the rails, then you should mark your own. If you are using the counters on the table then the racker should mark the score.

The other thing I see players not doing is in 14.1 where if you're using the counters on the table, the racker marks the opponent's score for that inning and totals both scores. It's considered discourteous to approach the racking area when the balls are about to be racked and you're not the one who's racking.

Fran

03-08-2002, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr>

The other thing I see players not doing is in 14.1 where if you're using the counters on the table, the racker marks the opponent's score for that inning and totals both scores. It's considered discourteous to approach the racking area when the balls are about to be racked and you're not the one who's racking.

<hr></blockquote>

I played some goofy guy last week in the Cincinnati Straight Pool League who insisted on doing all the scorekeeping. If I was racking I had to wait for him to finish updating the counters before I could rack. Quite irritating. Has anyone ever done that to you?

Wally

03-08-2002, 12:35 PM
Hi Wally,

Yes, they've done stuff like that to me but only for about 30 seconds. I will intervene and correct the situation and if they don't like it, they can quit, or I'll quit if the league operator or TD allows bogus scorekeeping. There's no flip of a coin to decide the outcome here. It's either done the correct way or it shouldn't be done at all.

Fran

03-08-2002, 01:21 PM
Fran, after re-reading Carol's post, it did sound like she said she marks up the scores for both players - which would not be appropriate. I'm guessing she didn't mean that - and that what she meant to say was each player marks their games up for themselves. As you stated - that is the way it should be and always has been.

The only game in which this is not necessarily the norm is in 14.1, where (at least in my experience) the player in the chair is allowed if they wish to tally up the counter at the end of the rack or at the end of their opponent's run - and the shooter may then often double-check it to make sure it is correct. - Chris in NC

03-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Another thing I've noticed lately that's being done wrong is that in 9-ball, when coins under the rails are used to keep score, they're mistakenly being placed at the foot-end of the table. This causes interference with the racker when you try to mark your score in the beginning of the set. They should always be placed at the head end of the table so that the breaker can mark his score without interfering with the racker.

Fran

03-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Hi Chris,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but in 9-ball, there is a situation where you don't mark your own game, and that's when you're using the table counters. Then the racker should mark the game. If the breaker wants to check the score he can do so after the racker has racked and left the table.

Also, in 14.1, again when using the table counters, the shooter should always mark their ball count after their inning, EXCEPT for the end of the rack, where the racker should mark his opponents ball count and total the scores. The racker then should call out the ball count for that rack and total score to the shooter. If the shooter wants to check the score he can do so after the racker had finished racking and left the table.

Fran

03-08-2002, 02:25 PM
There's one other thing I forgot to mention about 14.1. That is that when using table counters, TECHNICALLY the racker, after having tallyed and announced the scores, should NOT zero out the ball count for that rack (but should still add it to the total score) as a courtesy to the shooter. Then after the racker leaves the table, the shooter can approach the score, check it and zero out the ball count for the previous rack. But what usually happens is the shooter won't object to allowing the racker to zero out the ball count so the shooter can keep his flow going without too much interruption. That's fine if it's agreed upon by both players.

However, it's the opposite when using beads. The shooter always posts his own score. At the end of the rack, usually the racker is racking while the shooter is posting his score. Then the racker turns around and pushes over both sets of beads. So in this case, the racker is zeroing out the score.

I know it sounds complicated, but it is logical and consistent. I wish it was in the BCA rule book so everyone could learn it.

Fran

Chris Cass
03-08-2002, 03:46 PM
Hi Carol,
Forgot to mention that I don't think you should tell your opponent what the score is in the 9ball match. I'll usually mark the bead and tell him when I'm on the hill. If it is coins your using on the table. Then, I'll wait till their watching me.
Also, if you knockem out and put'em in the bathroom. They already know the score. HAHAHAHAHA
Your friend,
C.C.

03-08-2002, 05:07 PM
Fran, IMO you rarely anymore see players keeping their 9-ball game score on the rolling counters - regardless of whether the counters are located on the foot rail or on the wall - as they are here. Usually if players are gambling or in a tourney match, if there are not visible beads/balls above the lights for marking games up, then the players use the pennies under the rails.

As for 14.1, if the players are familiar with playing each other and fully trusting of each other in terms of the scoring (which is most often the case in a gentleman's game like 14.1 unlike 9-ball) it may be an accepted practice and role for one player to assume the duty of keeping up with score moreso than the other player.

As a pet peeve I have, it bugs me when I'm playing 14.1 if my opponent (after finishing out the rack) tallys up the score first before he bothers retrieving the balls for me out of both side pockets and the 2 head corner pockets - forcing me to have to circle the table doing before I can rack the balls for him. Likewise, if I finish out the rack it bugs me if he's busy tallying up the score instead of racking the balls for me for my break shot - forcing me to wait and breaking my rythym Also, we have the wall roller counters here and it really bugs me when I'm running balls and my opponent sits next to the counter with his hand on the dial and rings up a ball for every shot made. Why can't he just wait till the run is over? Little things like this seem to sometimes get to me - not good if my oponent knows it! - Chris in NC

03-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Well Chris, I guess the bottom line is that players can keep score any way they feel like, but with no disrespect intended, not if they're playing me.

I never considered the drop pocket situation, as you know, that's not an issue here in the Northeast, but I can see how it can cause some problems.

Fran

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Hey Fran,
I hear you Lady, but the thing was, throughout the whole game, there was NO PROBLEM until I was ahead-he sharked himself by telling me this-I know in TOURNAMENT, I wouldnt dare mark an opponents score-frig them-and also,calling the score has become a habit since one particular player had the habit of adding additional scores to her side:)-personally, I like the paper that you mark the X in the win box then have each player sign it when it is done-but I will heed your warning and not mark anyones score ,but now will ALWAYS check and call it out! Thanks!
love,
Carol

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Uh-oh-hope not carteret or florida ha ha ha-stay well!
Carol

03-08-2002, 05:34 PM
Carol, the way you were doing it was probably bugging him all along and he probably didn't want to start something with you. But when he fell behind in the match and became angry, he let it out. The exact same thing has happened to me, which is why I address the situation right from the beginning now, but I had to go through what he did before I learned.

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
03-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Chris,
As much as 14.1 players are suppose to be more sophisticated, there is a problem with a lot of the older generation players that do not know how to count. Or, they are too proud to get glasses to be able to see the counters, and continue to make mistakes. This is one of my pet peeves, as well as the ones you have mentioned.

I always mention that the 1st priority is to get the balls into the rack without disturbing the cue or 15th ball, then racking the balls, then adjusting the counters.

And, BTW, I never increment my opponents "total" counter, if they are on a run, I only increment their "current count", until they miss. I always thought it would be unlucky for me if I totaled the run each time... but I guess Fran's comment is more correct.

03-08-2002, 07:01 PM
Right, Tom. In pro events there's a third counter which is the run counter. Obviously there isn't a third counter in your average pool hall so the players have to keep track of their runs in their head or on paper at their seat. But both players' current counters combined shouldn't exceed 14.

Fran

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 07:35 PM
Ha Ha Ha-he better learn a mantra-but isnt it true that the one who racks puts the points up? We did not have beads-we had the stupid thing on the table!
Carol

CarolNYC
03-08-2002, 07:36 PM
Fran, referring to LEAGUE play,not tournament!
Carol