PDA

View Full Version : Whats your best hustle you have seen?

MaineEAck
11-17-2002, 05:23 PM
I was once told a guy I would spot him this:
On every ball except the 9-ball and the object balls on the break, the rails can count as pockets. Can anyone guess why he didn't win a game?
Another one is that I bet in 14-1 that I can run one to two hundred balls in 2 innings... Can you guess the trick to that?

Cueless Joey
11-17-2002, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MaineEAck:</font><hr> I was once told a guy I would spot him this:
On every ball except the 9-ball and the object balls on the break, the rails can count as pockets. Can anyone guess why he didn't win a game?
Another one is that I bet in 14-1 that I can run one to two hundred balls in 2 innings... Can you guess the trick to that? <hr /></blockquote>
1. Scratch everytime cb hits the rail.
2. 2 NON-consecutive innings? Pick your best innings and combine the scores.

MaineEAck
11-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Yup, you got the first one right, but the second one is wrong... Think about the wording........

Tom_In_Cincy
11-17-2002, 09:22 PM
In the 14.1 game..

1 to 200.. there's a lot of balls inbetween those two numbers.

MaineEAck
11-18-2002, 06:32 AM
yup thats it... I can also do 1-200 pushups in less then 60 seconds!!!(I work out) hahahaha
anyone have any others?

jbullerjr
11-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Playing BCA rules 8-ball,

I told a guy all he had to do was make the 8, I would take all the solids, stripes and the breaks.

After about 4 games and me getting like 10 ball in hands (from him not hitting his only ball), he had enough.

J.

Ross
11-18-2002, 03:32 PM
A good hustle gone bad -

A newbie pool player had seen the following old hustle: Bet that you can roll the cue ball under the rake laying flat on the rails. Of course the ball won't fit, so the trick is to roll the ball underneath the table.

A few days later I see this newbie in another pool hall trying this hustle on an experienced player. All seemed to be going as planned when the player "falls for" the bet. You should have seen the "oh, no, I've been had again" look on the newbies face when he bends over to roll the ball under the "no-clearance" Gandy!

MaineEAck
11-18-2002, 04:04 PM
I do the same bet, but you can't go under the table on the floor. I use the ball return. I like that one. For X-mass I asked for book on bar bets and hustles... I can't wait it looks good!

Elvis
11-18-2002, 09:18 PM
A friend of mine decides to play this kid 8 ball for $10 a game one night after leagues. My friend wins the first 3 games and breaks on the 4th. He runs off 6 balls before missing. The kid comes up and says "I'll bet you $50 you don't get another shot." This kid is not at any skill level to complete a run out and he had been drinking on top of that. My friend takes the bet, despite what we were saying, and the kid walks up and shoots the 8 ball in....the look on my friends face was priceless. Needless to say it was in a bar, alcohol was involved and my friend is not the type of guy to appreciate humor, or a good hustle, but the end of the story would be a completely different topic. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PQQLK9
11-18-2002, 09:32 PM
Whatever it takes Elvis...I want to hear the rest of the story...
"Thank ya'very much /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Vicki
11-18-2002, 09:51 PM
You put an object ball on the spot and give a guy ball in hand. All he has to do is shoot 5 spot shots in a row and he gets ball in hand on the first shot. All he has to do is draw it straight back a few inches each time, right? This is also a great practice drill.

Elvis
11-18-2002, 10:03 PM
Ended up outside, alcohol, fists, bruises, blood...no hospital and that's a good thing...no cops and that is also a good thing...in the end none of the money was exchanged /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MaineEAck
11-19-2002, 03:09 PM
My folks have been to the local poolhall twice since I starting playing. Both times there were fights, they think it's such a bad place, which I guess is not bad, b/c they still let me go and they are not there ever. It's nice to have a get-a-way. They also go to camp(way way way way up in northern Maine) every weekend, which gives me the house to myself! lol
I also have heard of people giving someone a big spot, but thet also have to be on 1 scratch all the time... This is huge, b/c every scratch puts them on 2!

MaineEAck
11-19-2002, 06:58 PM
This sounds easy, too easy, I will have to try it... Sounds like a good one!!!

Paul_Mon
11-20-2002, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vicki:</font><hr> You put an object ball on the spot and give a guy ball in hand. All he has to do is shoot 5 spot shots in a row and he gets ball in hand on the first shot. All he has to do is draw it straight back a few inches each time, right? This is also a great practice drill.

<hr /></blockquote>

Vicki,
I first read about this proposition shot in Willy Joplins column in BD. He mentioned that there is a way to beat this proposition but never did reveal what it was. I asked him in Valley Forge one year what makes this shot easier and he gave me the answer. See if you can guess what he told me!

Paul Mon

SPetty
11-20-2002, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> I first read about this proposition shot in Willy Joplins column in BD. He mentioned that there is a way to beat this proposition but never did reveal what it was. I asked him in Valley Forge one year what makes this shot easier and he gave me the answer. See if you can guess what he told me!<hr /></blockquote>Um, "Don't miss"? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MaineEAck
11-20-2002, 03:09 PM
I can't figure it out, what did he tell you?

Rod
11-20-2002, 04:29 PM
Hi Vicky, Thats without going to a rail. Better not try this with an advanced player, 5 times is not near enough.

Rod
11-20-2002, 04:46 PM
Oops Sorry Paul the first was for Vicki. I don't know what he told you but I've always shot this with a short bridge and short on the handle. You always have to keep working the pocket to a degree. I place BIH about 6" away. The object being keep the c/b in that range or less. 5 times is fairly easy for a good player. I'm supprised the number was that low. I brought that up one night and 2 or 3 other guys tried. After a time or two all of them made it over 5 times. 6 to maybe 8 was about their end. I've made it 13 or 14 times before the end. About 8 to 10 as an average. It is a good drill for those short draw shots.

Vicki
11-20-2002, 09:49 PM
I'm really not sure what the trick is. I'd be interested to know.

I always thought you could use the rails. It gets to be fairly tricky once you get out of line to get back in line. I like using this as a practice drill. It brings up more "real life" shots than most drills and requires you to think.

I don't think it matters much how good the players is. It seems too simple and they ultimately dog it because they don't plan or think enough. If the player is a great shot then this may not be a hustle I'd use on them but for the average Joe it's a dead winner every time.

Vicki

bigbro6060
11-20-2002, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Elvis:</font><hr> Ended up outside, alcohol, fists, bruises, blood...no hospital and that's a good thing...no cops and that is also a good thing...in the end none of the money was exchanged /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Elvis, tell your friend from me he's a coward, a bad sport, an idiot and a bully (you did say it was a kid). He should have accepted he had been had and moved on with class.

I hate people who feel they have to use brawn over brain to win. Why ? because i hate going to court for assault and one of these days it might well be manslaughter.I really dislike putting people in hospital, it gives me a bad rep because i'm not a violent person but when it's time to rumble, i ensure i''m not the loser. I've been doing martial arts on and off my whole life so i don't throw punches, i throw kicks to the kneecap, one knuckle strikes to the throat and palm heels to the base of the nose.

Paul_Mon
11-21-2002, 05:41 AM
What he told me was that you use a ball to create a furrow in the cloth. This would allow the cue ball to stay in a track. Obviously this is useless on napless cloth like Simonis or Granito. Given this information I agree with Rod that a short bridge works best. The proposition is still a good one the FIRST time you ask someone to try it.

Paul Mon

Eric.
11-21-2002, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> but when it's time to rumble, i ensure i''m not the loser. I've been doing martial arts on and off my whole life so i don't throw punches, i throw kicks to the kneecap, one knuckle strikes to the throat and palm heels to the base of the nose.
<hr /></blockquote>

With all due respect Bro, everytime I hear something similar to what you mentioned, I generally find someone that has enough Martial Arts experience to get themselves hurt really bad. I have "a little bit" of a Martial Arts background and in higher level or any level, for that matter, fighting you want to go with the fastest most direct way of delivering a disabling blow. Front snap kicks, side kicks and well placed straight punches are most effective. Trying to kick a kneecap, tweek the throat or even the elusive Vulcan knockout grip will usually be a waste of effort as the other guy may counter and deliver a more effective "goodnight" strike to you. It's a helluva lot easier to use a side kick to the solar plexis(bigger target) than to aim for the patella, miss and leave yourself open to the side kick to the solar plexis.

Don't get too offended, I just felt like babbling.

Eric &gt;testosterone must be up again

bigbro6060
11-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Eric, i've been in two serious fights in my life. I don't believe in fighting for the sake or it or for ego, only when absolutely necessary for one's protection

the first instant i was walking home after getting off a train. Wasn't really that late, around 8pm, but there weren't many people around. This gang of asians for some reason were following me. I knew something wasn't right. One came to approach me and yes i executed the hardest side thrust kick to his front leg that i have ever done, then i legged it ! he collapsed in a heap and the rest of the gang i think were too much in shock to chase me.

The other incident was in a nightclub, my friends and i got into it with this bunch of yahoos. This was on an outside balcony. It got ugly, i had one guy almost dangling over a first storey balcony

Yes i know well enough that martial arts are more about certain techniques, i was just illustrating vibrantly in my last post /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nothing, but nothing really guarantees you victory in a street fight, anyone can get king hit

The ultimate level of self defence is to avoid a fight if at all possible

dave
11-21-2002, 02:43 PM
1. I hate people who feel they have to use brawn over brain ........
2. ..... i hate going to court for assault
3. I really dislike putting people in hospital.......
4. ....i'm not a violent person.......
5. .....i throw kicks to the kneecap......
6. ..... knuckle strikes to the throat
7. ..... palm heels to the base of the nose.
<hr /></blockquote>

How ironic!

MaineEAck
11-21-2002, 03:27 PM
How did this post turn into you guys bragging over who can fight the best?

11-23-2002, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Eric, i've been in two serious fights in my life. I don't believe in fighting for the sake or it or for ego, only when absolutely necessary for one's protection

the first instant i was walking home after getting off a train. Wasn't really that late, around 8pm, but there weren't many people around. This gang of asians for some reason were following me. I knew something wasn't right. One came to approach me and yes i executed the hardest side thrust kick to his front leg that i have ever done, then i legged it ! he collapsed in a heap and the rest of the gang i think were too much in shock to chase me.

The other incident was in a nightclub, my friends and i got into it with this bunch of yahoos. This was on an outside balcony. It got ugly, i had one guy almost dangling over a first storey balcony

Yes i know well enough that martial arts are more about certain techniques, i was just illustrating vibrantly in my last post /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nothing, but nothing really guarantees you victory in a street fight, anyone can get king hit

The ultimate level of self defence is to avoid a fight if at all possible <hr /></blockquote>

2 serious fights in your life?!?!?!?!?!
And your a world class tough guy thats 'ensure to win' in a fight? O.k. Bruce Lee. Enough of the BullSh*t, O.K.?

rackmup
11-23-2002, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ALF:</font><hr>2 serious fights in your life?!?!?!?!?<hr /></blockquote>

Is that an odd number for someone? I'm 44 and that is the same number of fights I've been in. One, I was blindsided outside a poolhall, the other, well...it was when I was a Police Officer and to make a long story short, let's just say he won't be fighting again.

Regards,

Peace Loving Ken