PDA

View Full Version : How Can One Get Soil Analyzed?

TomBrooklyn
11-17-2002, 10:45 PM
I was in-line skating in a square in the downtown part of a town that had hosted a major in-line skating exhibition. I was looking for a man whom I had had some occasional business dealings with, and who owed me something. I went into a jewelry store on the square to look at some gold jewelry out of general interest. Unexpectedly, it turned out the man I was looking for was inside. I went to the back of the store, where there was an employee and an old woman whom I did not know who seemed to be the owner of the store.

She was about 5'5", husky, plainly dressed, and had a thick coif of gray hair, about shoulder length. She seemed to know of my relationship with this man. She gave me a small booklet about 3 wide and 5 inches high with of about a dozen pages and a little packet of soil in it. I could not tell what was written in the booklet. She asked me to find out what was in the soil and where it came from, and then return to her with that information. I got the impression she wished me to contact her in person rather than using a phone.

How could I go about finding out about the soil inexpensively and discreetly. I did not want to invest much money in it. I don't know why she asked me, or why she doesn't do it herself.
-T

nAz
11-17-2002, 10:48 PM
Tom give it a taste test?

better be sure its not radio active

Chris Cass
11-17-2002, 11:38 PM
Tom,

Sounds like a spy thing to me. Anyway, out here they have environmental testing labs. I don't know about in NY. Anyway, wait outside for a tech on his lunch break and ask him on the side. Tell him to test it and it's worth $10 or $20. then ask the lady what the results are worth?

Now, you might want to tell the tester your thinking of buying some top soil and want to know if this is good?

Regards,

C.C.

rackmup
11-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Most nurseries can help you with it. Some have several companies that do it for purposes of planting/growing issues.

Vapros
11-18-2002, 04:52 PM
You need a county agent or a good ag school.