PDA

View Full Version : Are REST DAYS Necessary for Pool ?

bigbro6060
11-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Following on from my 'Dealing with Bad Days' thread, i am wondering if rest days are necessary from Pool or can you play/practice everyday and improve ?

When i was running competitively , rest days were of course important, same with most physical sports. You train, stress your body, it recovers stronger and rest is very important part of the process

In Pool, it's different, for any half decently fit person, there's not really any physical element to it (you know what i mean), but of course there is the intense concentration.

I think i will have a rest day when i am not 100% jumping to get to the table, but right now i'm at work, and can't wait to rush home and get stroking /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
11-18-2002, 01:43 AM
Hi Bro,

I believe rest days are important. This sport is much more physical than you might think. Also, mental rest is needed too. You'll know when these times are needed. These times come around when it comes a time the gems no longer sparkle, and all that's left is the father's love for his daughter. No wait, that's from "Conan the Barbarian." hahaha

Anyway, if your unable to focus and lose concentration, you'll need a break. Only to come back with life and vigor. You'll be fired up and can't wait to hit balls. When this is lost. That's when it's time to take a break. IMO

Try, a 7 hrs drive to a tourney. Wait an hr. for the calcutta, another hr. for the draw and 2 hrs. for your match. Then, another 2 matches 2 hrs. apart from eachother. Then, tell me how good a shape your in and how it doesn't require much physical strength. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

dddd
11-21-2002, 12:34 AM
whew i am tired just reading. that distance drove is huge.
that is probally one of the 3 top reasons i dont travel any distance to play. i feel if i go to lexington to play its a milestone (lexington is less than 2 hrs away).
i just cant make the time fit well into my schedule, wife, children, work, (that everyday thing).
anyway
wish i could though
god bless you for your fortitude.

bluewolf
11-21-2002, 06:08 AM
Even as a begginer, I generally take the day off after league play. If I am still excited about pool, I dont take that day off. I generally take a day off when I am feeling mentally burned out.

Next session, I will be starting with local touraments, so cant really speak to how a person feels after a stressful tournament. I imagine if a person had to drive a ways to a tournie or fly, some downtime would be nice. At least that is how I think I would feel.

blu

Ludba
11-21-2002, 07:29 PM
Maybe it's just me, but after 6 hours of serious playing, I am physically exhausted. And even three hours of serious practice is very mentally draining. But if I show up at 2pm, practice for 3 hours, play for 2 more, and then play in my league for 2 more hours, my left shoulder (bridge arm) hurts like a bitch.

Rest days are probably needed. Just recently I had a stint of 13 continuous 4 hour playing days. My body couldn't take it. I starting missing shots a blind three-year-old could make. So I took a while off. I tried to take a full week off, but I just couldn't do it. I took off two days.