PDA

View Full Version : Need help/advice on Cue Collecting

dooziexx
11-18-2002, 10:30 AM
Ive always wanted to start a cue collection but I just dont know where to start. There are so many custom cue makers out there and Im not sure which cues will hold their values. I do have a copy of the Blue Book of Pool Cues. What cues should I start with? Should I start with a inlaid Southwest, a Schick, Joss West, TAD, Szamboti?? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks...

Mike H
11-18-2002, 11:30 AM
All the cues you mentioned should hold their values. For a better idea of what's out there, check out billiardcue.com or classiccues.com. They both have good inventories of rare and custom cues that should give you an idea of what they're going for on the market and whether or not they're holding their value.

Popcorn
11-18-2002, 11:44 AM
It is very subjective and you should not collect for the sake of collecting or on the idea they will go up in value. You collect because you like something even if you are the only one the values it. Don't go by what cue sellers ask for cues. They ask $5000. for a cue but if you had the same cue they would offer you $2000. Few of those cue get sold for the big numbers you hear. The prices are just to inherence the perceived value of the collectors collection. There are lesser known cuemakers whos cues will go up in value. A cuemaker named Tucker in Fla. cues are becoming sought after. I have seen a few go for more then double the original cost, just a few years ago. You need to do some study before spending a lot of money. Good buys are out there, but buy something you like.

eg8r
11-18-2002, 12:20 PM
Hello,
I believe if you are just collecting cues to be collecting them then it does not matter where you start. Just buy what you like. If you are collecting based on the idea that you want to sell them in time and reap the rewards of holding on to them, then I would probably start looking for ones similar to what you listed.

eg8r <~~~Knows squat about collecting cues, but has garbage bags (not the suggested holding tank for a priceless cue) full of baseball cards

BLACKHEART
11-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Try to remember that Qs that become collectable, are those that will be worth more in the future. A few simple rules are to collect Qs that...
1)Are made by a famous Qmaker (not usually mass produced).
2)Were owned by someone famous.
3)Are loaded with valueable matireals such as silver,gold, ivory etc...
4)Are rare & not many were made.

Another caution before you get into collecting is that unlike other collectables, yours is made of wood & while you may take very good care of a Q, it could warp or crack in storage & the result is that you can not sell it, at any price. This happened to me & I lost $600 on one Q. I have since sold my collection of 40 some Qs & now only have playing Qs. GOOD LUCK...JER

Barbara
11-18-2002, 08:06 PM
There's another Szamboti making cues - Barry's daughter Kristen (sp?). For a high school project she made two cues. One that she'll keep and one that's up for sale. I got to see the beginnings of the cues and they looked pretty wow-ee to me!! Four veneers over ebony points - one is black/purple/blue/white and the other is black/rose/purple/white. Ebony butts on both, too.

Kristen did everything. Dad did nothing but give advice. Now that's pretty amazing for someone to work with the tools she had to when she's never done that kind of woodworking before. I know I can only look at the tool stuff my hubby has in his shop and hope he still comes out with ten fingers when the day is done. Kris did all the turning by herself.

I was hoping to be able to purchase her one cue that she's selling, but it's gone out of the price range I can easily afford, unless my hubby doesn't really want any of the Christmas presents he's asking for, especially that 14" bandsaw I'm gonna have to figure out where to store until Dec 25th.

Now Kristen, if you're lurking out there and reading this, sorry if I'm spelling your name incorrectly. It's just that your Dad still has yet to tell me whether your Mom spells her name with a "C" or a "K". See, this stuff isn't important to guys like it is with us women!

And congrats!! They were two beautiful cues that I had the privilege and the pleasure of seeing and I did get to hold them, too.

Barbara~~~psssst!! - and tell your Dad to get working on my birthday present he's overdue about two weeks now... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
11-18-2002, 10:41 PM
Finally a subject worthy of posting. First off, the "Blue Book" is a good reference point but not a tell all because it is now over 4 years old. IMO, start with up and coming cuemakers like Jeff Olney, Pete Omen, Murry Tucker etc..etc. Buying high end cues in the begining will empty you in a hurry, unless your bankroll is X-tra large then buy Joss West, Ed Pruitt, Southwest and Samsara. Tad's, Szamboti's and Balabushka'a are out there but be careful...there are some real good phoney's...good luck.

11-18-2002, 11:14 PM
interesting thread.

i'll tell you what i think i know for what it's worth. i know several guys who are in the cue business, one way or the other and a couple more who probably will be sooner or later.

i'm suprised nobody has talked about the asian market. that seems to be where the money is in collectable cues. when fran mentioned the passing of (wrong name deleted) ray schuler, my first thought was that a sharp guy would get on e-bay and see what's there. high end especially. master works.

plus, a collector/dealer needs to be out there showing the stuff. kinda like diamond merchants. let 'em take it home and shoot with it a few days. always offer to buy back, at a proper discopunt, of course, anything you sell if it hasn't been abused.

buy a (name of jewelers eyepiece). makes you a cue expert from the go.

buy richard black cues. for pure investment purposes, i'm not aware of his equal. and he's still alive.

figure out why you are collecting. if you just want a trophy wall then make sure there's a good story with each one. if you're looking for value appreciation then you'll never do it in the collectors market as a buyer. the basic valeu/appreciation is already baked into the price and you're hoping for the incremental appreciation which may or may not come. try to liquidate a collection with a time limit. 30-50% if you're real lucky.

anyway, i don't collect cues. to me it's just a tool and i shoot with sveral identical ('cept for tips) sears craftsman cues.

dan

Wally_in_Cincy
11-19-2002, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> when fran mentioned the passing of...<hr /></blockquote>

you mean Ray Schueler ?

11-19-2002, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> when fran mentioned the passing of...<hr /></blockquote>

you mean Ray Schueler ? <hr /></blockquote>

of course. sorry.

dan...thanks

Fred Agnir
11-19-2002, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> There's another Szamboti making cues - Barry's daughter Kristen (sp?). <hr /></blockquote>
http://www.phillyburbs.com/couriertimes/news/news/1017cue.htm

Fred Agnir
11-19-2002, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> Ive always wanted to start a cue collection but I just dont know where to start. There are so many custom cue makers out there and Im not sure which cues will hold their values. I do have a copy of the Blue Book of Pool Cues. What cues should I start with? Should I start with a inlaid Southwest, a Schick, Joss West, TAD, Szamboti?? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks... <hr /></blockquote>
Here's my own wrong opinion. First and foremost, the reason for collecting should be yours and yours alone. There is no one reason why anyone would collect cues. Therefore, the choices should be for your own personal reasons, be it future value or just to look at.

That being said, it seems like you already know all the cuemakers to get, if gathering great names is what you're collecting for. Me, the cues that I'd like to buy (from here on out)and intend to buy are cues that I design, unless I win the lottery (which would mean I'd actually have to play the lottery).

Lastly, order the Southwest now, if you're going to design it yourself. It costs nothing to order and wait. If you have the disposable income, I'd start with collectible cues from passed-on cuemakers. Obviously, there'll be no more of them made, and their values continue to climb daily.

Fred

11-19-2002, 06:06 PM
I'm suprised nobody mentioned to get insurance on the cues. You'll really be up the creek without a paddle if some scum decided to make off with your collection while you're away.
If you decide to display them, make sure you put them in a case under lock and key out of direct light. Also make sure, people won't be able to paw at them esp. the uninformed and idiots.

Then again, what do I know.