PDA

View Full Version : More 14.1 scoring problems

Wally_in_Cincy
11-18-2002, 02:00 PM
Rarely am I able to provide any sage advice to the accomplished players of the CCB but here goes:

"Always check your 14.1 score after the balls are re-racked."

Personally when I rack I announce the score to my opponent. Yesterday my opponent racked the balls, updated the wheel counters, and the 3 balls she had scored in that rack somehow managed to take her score from 69 to 82 /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I didn't check the score so I thought I was ahead by 10 balls. After we split the next rack 7-7 she announced that we were tied /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif .I don't really blame her. It was an honest mistake. I blame myself for not being alert.

A neutral third party suggested we start from a known previous score (73-69) which we both agreed on and of course I lost. In the whole scheme of things it was an unimportant match so it's no big deal. But I did learn a valuable lesson.

HTH,

Tom_In_Cincy
11-18-2002, 06:18 PM
Good Post Wally,
You must have had a brilliant "neutral 3rd party" to come up with that great suggestion...

I too have run into 'thumb wheel' scoring problems.. and from some of the more experienced 14.1 players in the league. One time was at least a 10 variation in their favor, and the other was a 13+ (or better) difference in my favor.

One of them now announces not only the rack count, but the starting and finishing totals (before the rack scores, rack scores and totals afterwards) He also announces the ball count you are in on.. (which is annoying if you just made less than 3 balls.)

If you are not the rack person, you should ask (or verify your thinking at least) the rack count, and score, prior and after the rack count.

You don't want the score keeper giving you too many points do you?

There is nothing wrong in asking the racker these questions (rack count and previous score) before they even touch the thumb wheel counters. Maybe, after awhile.. they will automatically tell you without you asking..

One of the reasons I like a wall mount counter.. or beads.. Both can be seen easily prior to any changes.

CarolNYC
11-19-2002, 03:15 AM
Hi Wally,
Yep,yep,yep-ALWAys call out that score-apparently your opponent added 13 instead of three and thats alot more balls-but like you said"lesson learned"-
Carol~knows Wally will be watching!