PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Hobbies - What Goes With Pool?

SpiderMan
11-18-2002, 02:13 PM
Taking a quick mental inventory, I realize that many of my pool-playing acquaintances are bikers or golfers. A few are/were competitive handgun shooters. I can understand golf and guns as correllative pastimes (similar skill sets), but the motorcycle connection eludes me. Now I'm wondering whether it's just a local thing because of the long riding season in Texas, or something more subtle.

What are your other activities, outside of the poolroom?

SpiderMan: Motorcycles, Snow Skiing, Photography, SCUBA, Cooking, Shooting/Reloading, Flying, Camping/Outdoors, Travel

I'm among the few that don't golf, but one teammate is a teaching pro at Heritage Ranch /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rackmup
11-18-2002, 03:06 PM
In this order:

Church
Pool
Fishing
Cooking
Consumption of dead, BBQ'ed (and smoked) animal meat
Cold, amber-colored beverages
Butterfinger candy-bars
Dreaming I had a Harley
Wishing I had a girlfriend
Counseling to get over the "wishing I had a girlfriend" nonsense

Regards,

Ken

nAz
11-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Well the couple of biker clubs i use to hang in each had a 7 ft table
and those guys did play a lot, some were quite good too.

my only other hobbie besides pool and building living engines (lol) are basketball , baseball during the summer and soon to try hopefully Fencing during this winter /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Naz~~ shouts outs to the Bridge runners and 69ers!

Barbara
11-18-2002, 03:58 PM
Hey Spidey!

During the summer Pete and I try to get out on the Delaware River and get in a sail as often as possible, weather permitting.

Now that the boat's out of the water (and parked in our driveway) my hobbies turn indoors. Basically I like to try out new recipes and just bake for the fun of it. Pete can always be found in his work shop doing some woodworking stuff or whatever.

Barbara~~~misses sailing....

Tom_In_Cincy
11-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Spiderman... good question...
Other interests besides pool:

in no particular order;

Work.. (yes I enjoy my work.. very much)

computers.. (but that's part of work)

reading (all types of subjects.. from sci-fi to how-to books)

Golf.. when I was playing 2 or 3 times a week.. I got to be a 15 handicap

Cooking.. nothing special.. but I do make a great pizza..

Bar-B-Q'ing (any kind of meat.. but I favor Pork and Chicken)

Baseball... I've been addicted since I can remember. Even after all the strikes and lockouts.. I still enjoy watching baseball.. at any level.. from teeball to the pros.

College Basketball.. UK, IU, Purdue, Ohio U and Ohio St, UCinn., Xavier and NKU (all within 100 miles..) great Basketball area. And, I still follow Memphis St.. (aka UM)

Rich R.
11-19-2002, 06:08 AM
In addition to pool, I dabble in photography, but I have not gone digital yet. I also do a little woodworking when I have the time, which has been rare lately, but the tools I am collecting will be there for my retirement. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Like a others, I cook a little and BBQ a little.
Anything is better than work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
11-19-2002, 07:49 AM
I love to read, it's one of my favorite things ever. I love to mess around on my computer. Cooking and softball round it out.

Kato

Voodoo Daddy
11-19-2002, 07:57 AM
Golf, Guns, Harleys, Fast Cars, Pretty women, Playing Guitar and singing the Blues, Sushi, Fishing and being a good son-uncle-brother... and being a good friend
{which can be a full time job if you know Kato at all /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif}, not in any order of course.

Paul_Mon
11-19-2002, 08:38 AM
I ride motorcycle and pistol shoot. My other hobbies are golf, hunting, fishing and numismatics. I also enjoy bargain hunting at flea markets.

11-20-2002, 04:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Taking a quick mental inventory, I realize that many of my pool-playing acquaintances are bikers or golfers. A few are/were competitive handgun shooters. I can understand golf and guns as correllative pastimes (similar skill sets), but the motorcycle connection eludes me. Now I'm wondering whether it's just a local thing because of the long riding season in Texas, or something more subtle.

What are your other activities, outside of the poolroom?

SpiderMan: Motorcycles, Snow Skiing, Photography, SCUBA, Cooking, Shooting/Reloading, Flying, Camping/Outdoors, Travel

I'm among the few that don't golf, but one teammate is a teaching pro at Heritage Ranch /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I make music at my mini-home studio. I play all the instruments myself.. guitar, drums, keyboard, and the crappy vocals that I'm about to give up on. I hate hearing my voice on tape, and I can't write lyrics for crap.

I also like nice cars.. I'm into the whole "euro" big loud muffler, and racing equipment on 4-banger imports. right now I drive a '94 VW jetta III that has a few mods, but I need a new chip, a new cam, a header, and one of my lifters is bad.. so Imma replace 'em all.

I'd like to have the head shaved down, and port the intake and exaust manifold.. but that might have to wait.

CarolNYC
11-20-2002, 05:43 AM
Post deleted by CarolNYC

CarolNYC
11-20-2002, 05:51 AM
Still waiting for Barb and the Big guy to sail into NY Harbor!:)
Carol

CarolNYC
11-20-2002, 05:58 AM
Post deleted by CarolNYC

bluewolf
11-20-2002, 06:46 AM
my dogs
photography,writing
pool pool and more pool

eg8r
11-20-2002, 06:58 AM
Have you seen the ARP (I think that is right) chips. I have a buddy that put his on an 02 Jetta Wolfsburg, and it is pretty impressive. I think it was 1.2 bar but cannot remember exactly now. Anyways, it is great because it has settings like factory, racing, cruising, etc. When he gets his service done, the dealership computer does not even know the car has been chipped.

eg8r

TomBrooklyn
11-20-2002, 07:06 AM
I like to jog, especially around the lake in Prospect Park. There are some big swans there that let you get real close to them, which is neat. I like to play chess, and living in an archepelago city, go kayaking and fishing in the surrounding waters.
=Tom

CarolNYC
11-20-2002, 07:16 AM
Post deleted by CarolNYC

Barbara
11-20-2002, 10:12 AM
Not unless we can verify for certain on that day that Fran is NOT behind the wheel of a large motorboat!!!

Barbara~~~heard the "Skipper and Little Buddy" story! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
11-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Believe me Barb,
It was when Fran was Captain ,that I felt the safest!
Carol~will travel through NY harbor with Fran anyday!:)

11-20-2002, 12:11 PM
No particular order:
Pool, Computers, 3D Gaphics and Animation, Firearms, Politics and Liberty. Oh... and Beer /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
11-20-2002, 12:13 PM
Please tell me that you're into "real" performance, and don't have your ride outfitted with a set of "spool" rims sticking out half a foot past the fenders. And hopefully no neon lights underneath /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
11-20-2002, 12:15 PM
How close is South Rockford to Morton Grove? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan

nAz
11-20-2002, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Oh,OH,OH Naz,
Now isnt this a very very small world!I guess you were at Diggers funeral and seen the chick in leather on her sportster heading the pack?(Was that me!) And then Tom-Tom, my little cutey-and hows Reno doing-seen him the other day!
What a small friggin world it is!
Carol~bikers DO KNOW bikers! Tell'em "Toots"says Hi-support Local=81! <hr /></blockquote>

Didnt know about digger /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

last saw reno about 3 years back.

need to drop by and see the runners, had some wild partys @ their err club hehe

CarolNYC
11-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Post deleted by CarolNYC

nAz
11-20-2002, 12:36 PM
hahah long train acoming.
ok new tag line, what ya think?...

11-20-2002, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> How close is South Rockford to Morton Grove? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Not exactly sure, 90 miles maybe? Morton Grove is what might be termed a "Near NW" Suburb of Chicago. Rockford is in N. Central Illinois, just South of Beloit Wisconsin.
I actually live a little South of Rockford, hence the SouthORockford. I just kinda use it as a reference point. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11-20-2002, 06:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Have you seen the ARP (I think that is right) chips. I have a buddy that put his on an 02 Jetta Wolfsburg, and it is pretty impressive. I think it was 1.2 bar but cannot remember exactly now. Anyways, it is great because it has settings like factory, racing, cruising, etc. When he gets his service done, the dealership computer does not even know the car has been chipped.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think I've seen any "ARP" chips. I'm thinking about either Techtronics, or NEUspeed.. mostly NEUspeed, since I can get the cam, adjustable cam gear, and chip all at the same time.

I don't know, I'll check out the ARP chip.. it might just be for newer cars (like the wolfsburg) but chances are they make one that'll fit mine also. I'm lucky because mine is a plug-n-play chip, and I don't have to send it to the manufacturer for soldering. Yay.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11-20-2002, 06:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Please tell me that you're into "real" performance, and don't have your ride outfitted with a set of "spool" rims sticking out half a foot past the fenders. And hopefully no neon lights underneath /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Nope.. I actually have the stock VW rims on it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif They're actually not bad looking. No, it's not a ghetto ride, and I even still have the catalytic converter on it.. Although, I have to admit, I'm thinking about neon lights.. they're pretty neat lookin, I think. But I'd rather spend my money on the engine than on lights.

Gayle in MD
11-21-2002, 08:43 AM
Hi Marty, how's it going? Hobbies follow, not in order of importance, Pool, Writing, reading, running, Piano, dancing, Power boating and fishing, canoeing, cooking, (Love to cook for my friends and family) sewing and all kinds and needle work, decorating houses for friends, learning new things and meeting new people, and spending time with my friends and family, especially my little grand daughter. I'd love to play more golf, and travel more, but both have become such a hassle lately due to waiting in line, one thing I just hate to do!

I sure wish I didn't know how many of you ride on morotcycles, have lost so many friends due to motorcycle accidents, and also several others whose lives will never be good again because of motorcycle accidents. They were all responsible drivers, too, but met with others on the road who were not. Please be careful guys and gals!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Gayle in Md

eg8r
11-21-2002, 12:40 PM
sorry I had the name wrong. They are APR. here is their website

http://www.goapr.com/VW/index.html

eg8r

11-22-2002, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> sorry I had the name wrong. They are APR. here is their website

http://www.goapr.com/VW/index.html

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, they only have the chip for the 1.8t motor.. I have a 2.0. Theirs is designed for the turbo model. D'oh.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r
11-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Awww, sorry about that. I tried. lol

eg8r