PDA

View Full Version : George Fels, and/or any who may help me!

Harold Acosta
11-18-2002, 04:57 PM
I'm searching for a book from the 40's, 50's, or 60's that listed at the back the names of Champions around the world. The person who told me about this book, tells me that it is small and color red but could be mistaken. Doesn't know the title but maybe it was a book about or written by Mosconi, or Caras, or someone from that era.

The source tells me that the book lists the name of Antonio Morales Montalvo, or Antonio Montalvo Morales, a Puerto Rican Player who also played one-handed.

I'm trying to obtain information about this person, since he is still living, and there are plans to honor him in the Island before his days are gone.

I'm appealing to George Fels, and anyone who might have some of these treasured books, to do a search for me and provide some information. All I need is the info; however, anyone who may have this type of book, please contact me by email or private message.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiard is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

PQQLK9
11-18-2002, 05:21 PM
Hey Harold...I think the book you are refering to is WILLIE MOSCONI ON POCKET BILLIARDS COPYRIGHT 1948 &amp; 1959 by CROWN PUBLISHERS INC. In the appendix it lists the 14.1 champions from 1878 - 1958 but I did not see the name you mentioned. The list was obtained from the OFFICIAL BILLIARD RULE BOOK. Oh by the way it is a small red book like you described $7.00.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-19-2002, 07:38 AM
Harold,

October P &amp; B (I believe) had an article about a one-handed player from Puerto Rico nicknamed "Miami". If nobody else comes thru with any info I'll let you know for sure tomorrow which magazine it was.

#### leonard
11-19-2002, 07:53 AM
Harold there was a player from New Jersey who played great one handed. The name that comes to mind sounds like A goose atay I never heard his real name but he was a friend of Miami. ####

Popcorn
11-19-2002, 11:57 AM
As someone mentioned, I think you are talking about "Little Miami." He was an obscure player who would be better known to hustlers and road players. People like Weenie Beanie, Big Bob, Toby Sweet and I am sure Danny Diliberto could give you a lot of info. Maybe someone on here could tell you how to get in touch with one or all of them. I saw him play a few times and he lived up to the hype, he was pretty amazing.

Harold Acosta
11-19-2002, 04:59 PM
[b] <font color="blue">Yes, that's Antonio Montalvo "Aguzate" which means "beware". </font color> He was better than "Miami" one handed, although "Miami" claims in another magazine that he was the great one.

Nobody played better than Aguzate one-handed but then that is for the experts to say.

Harold Acosta
11-19-2002, 05:06 PM
[b]I was told about that article on P&amp;B (I'm not subscribed). It was the October issue alright but Miami is claiming superiority over Aguzate, and everyone who has contacted me (Puerto Rican players) say that it was the other way around! Both played one-handed, but "Miami" played long after "Aguzate" was known to do so.

I'm looking about specific info about Antonio Montalvo "Aguzate."

Thanks for the info anyway...

Harold Acosta
11-19-2002, 05:10 PM
No, its not Miami, I'm searching for Antonio Montalvo, "Aguzate."

Vagabond
11-19-2002, 06:55 PM
Please contact Mike Lebron at Tacony`s in Phyladelphia.Mike goes there monday to friday but not on sat and sun. Sorry,I do not have tel # with me in my hotel room and it is in my car and I am lazy to go down stairs.U can try for Miami in Bogarts cafe in Livonia,Michigan.The owner may give u the number to get hold of Miami.If Lebron or Miami can`t tell u about the person u are looking for,nobody can tell u.Good luck.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara
11-19-2002, 08:33 PM
Harold,

Tacony's number is 215-338-4733.

Buena Suerte!!

Barbara

#### leonard
11-20-2002, 07:49 AM
Harold according to my sources {Joe Canton} no one could compete with Andrew St.Jean[the Lowell Kid] when it came to playing one handed. He saw him run over 100 balls playing one hand and he speared every shot, no laying the cue on the table. Rumor had it that Andrew lacked honesty and was barred from playing in tournaments.

Voodoo Daddy
11-20-2002, 03:32 PM
####...Do you know a player from up north known as Pancho {might be from Chicago or Philly}? This guy played all games well with 1 paw, especially 3-C. I saw run 5-6 billiards playin' one handed....spot guys one-handed and talk the whole time, a real showman.

#### leonard
11-21-2002, 07:22 AM
Voodoo That name doesn't ring a bell with me. Boston Joey had a hispanic friend that played billiards/3c but I can't remember his name. I must be losing my memory.

landshark1002000
12-02-2002, 03:19 PM
try Mike Shamos. A search will give you an email address where he teaches. He's very knowledgable and accessible.
good luck. --Ted in Phoenix

12-03-2002, 12:27 PM
"Pancho" was from Forest Hills, NY. His real name is Harvey Strauss, but, like the kid in "Breaking Away", he wanted everyone to think he was Italian, and went by the names Vince Corelli and Vince Furio for most of his adult life. At his peak, he would have been accorded shortstop status in the NY area, and yes, he could get seven rails stroking one-handed. He lives in the New Orleans area today. GF