PDA

View Full Version : Parking Whitey on the Break

bigbro6060
11-18-2002, 07:14 PM
We all know the objective of the break is to pocket at least one ball and preferably park the cueball in the middle of the table

Is this really only achievable consistently by having the cueball jump up slightly when it hits the rack and then resting in the middle of the table ?

a la Bustamante ?

Vagabond
11-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Howdy,
That is what all the pros( both women and men) did in the past.Some players used to make the cue ball jump at least 8 to 10 inches high.There used to be a young women from florida who weighed 90 to 100 pounds ,used to break the rack much better than many men pros and the cue ball used to jump very high and droped straight down and used to sit between the two side pockets.cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bigbro6060
11-18-2002, 07:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy,
That is what all the pros( both women and men) did in the past.Some players used to make the cue ball jump at least 8 to 10 inches high.There used to be a young women from florida who weighed 90 to 100 pounds ,used to break the rack much better than many men pros and the cue ball used to jump very high and droped straight down and used to sit between the two side pockets.cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

in the past ?

so your saying that maybe because of the Sardo rack, not as much power is needed ? and there is not as much cueball jumping in the air ???

Tommy_Davidson
11-19-2002, 03:31 AM
&gt; Mike Sigel was the first player I saw that had any control over the cue ball hitting them hard. His breaking style was very unique,the first 8-10" of the shaft would be laying FLAT on the table on his follow-thru,and the butt would be up at about a 45 degree angle,making the shaft look like a flyrod. He was extremely consistent with this break,up until his career started to slide,by which time players like Earl,CJ and Johnny were breaking them harder but not with the control he had,which was incredible. I saw him play 3 matches in a televised tournament,and the cue ball was within 6" of the same spot EVERY time. Tommy D.

Lester
11-19-2002, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr>
in the past ?

so your saying that maybe because of the Sardo rack, not as much power is needed ? and there is not as much cueball jumping in the air ??? <hr /></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;The 9-ball break is meant to do three things: 1. Separate the stack. 2. Make at least one ball. 3. Leave the cue ball in the most likely spot to have a shot. If you can accomplish this with a soft break, then so be it. With the Sardo rack in force, most people are using the softer break. ***Lester***

Popcorn
11-19-2002, 08:52 AM
Your number 3 is the key. Where you are most likely to have a shot is keeping the cueball near the 1 ball. It is pretty predictable where the 1 will go most of the time. Making one or two balls and not being able to see or make the 1, may be worse then not making a ball at all. You should never be afraid of not making a ball and leaving a run out for the other player. I am not a fan of the soft break. On the break, only so many balls will even travel far enough to reach a pocket. The corner balls if they don't go straight in, fly around and collide with other balls increasing the chances of making a ball. When I see someone making balls on a soft break, I get a creepy feeling like there is something wrong with the rack. Balls should not just be going in, in my opinion.

Fred Agnir
11-19-2002, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tommy_Davidson:</font><hr> &gt; Mike Sigel was the first player I saw that had any control over the cue ball hitting them hard. His breaking style was very unique,the first 8-10" of the shaft would be laying FLAT on the table on his follow-thru,and the butt would be up at about a 45 degree angle,making the shaft look like a flyrod. <hr /></blockquote>
The first two tournaments I saw of Sigel on TV, he had zero control of the cueball on the break, even though he won both tournaments. This was probably early 80's. Cueball was going side to side on every break.

I think he actually ended up slowing his break speed down to get that control, which is the common advise. He also was the most recognizable player to advocate the lower weight break cue. He was the Cory Deul of his day when it came to studying the break shot.

Fred

Fred Agnir
11-19-2002, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> We all know the objective of the break is to pocket at least one ball and preferably park the cueball in the middle of the table

Is this really only achievable consistently by having the cueball jump up slightly when it hits the rack and then resting in the middle of the table ?

a la Bustamante ? <hr /></blockquote>
There are two basic breaks that I've seen used over the years. The jump break, as you describe, and the flat break. In order to "squat" the flat break, a touch of follow has to be on the cueball (opposite of the common thinking) in order for it to skid to a halt as it flies back towards the breaker. If you consistently find the cueball coming back to the head rail, aim a touch higher. If you're aiming two tips low, try one tip low.

Fred

rackmup
11-19-2002, 11:13 AM
Sardo...Schmardo. Every single one of those ill-intended contraptions should be melted down, molded together into an abstract statue and put on display in some inner-city park so wayward pigeons have a place to roost.

It is widely known that the soft break, as it is known today, wasn't developed by Cory, but instead by Prince Charles of the Royal Family.

It seems that Prince "Charlie" is easily prone to blisters and was once hospitalized for two weeks after suffering from a splinter in his index finger. It was recommended he use a softer break to lessen the friction (blisters) and use an open bridge to eliminate the deadly hazard of splinters.

We all know what a wimpy guy Charles is, not to mention his hideous taste in women (after Diana.) Is that the kind of player you wish to be associated with? Do you break so soft that you feel the need to "curtsy" after pocketing a ball?

I think not. Real MEN break with the force of Greek Gods. The cueball flying straight up to incredible heights, landing on the slate with a resounding "thud" and who cares about position? Jeez...if position scares you, buy a jump cue!

I was saddened the other day when I saw a good pool-playing friend of mine (I won't mention his name as to avoid public humiliation but his initials are e-g-8-r) adopt the limp-wristed-woosy-break known as the "soft break". I have to say it was embarrassing to watch. The balls barely spread apart! It was like a one-pocket break utilizing only nine balls.

It truly terrified me. I was deeply concerned that after this sissy-ish display of fetal embryo-like breaking power that he might go home and secretly start wearing his wife's lingerie.

Gentlemen! Forget the Sardo! Walk away from any pool room that advocates it's use. Turn your back to the soft break as it is a plot to steal your manhood. What next? Red velvet wraps? Perhaps Dooney &amp; Bourke cue cases for the guys, with matching key fobs and chalk holders? Men's Sardo pool playing outfits with complimenting shoes and belts?

I'm nervous. I really am. You should be too. There are forces at work, trying to steal away the manner in which we all learned to play this game. Don't let it happen to you!

Regards,

Ken Kingan
President
M.E.L.B.A.
(Men Eliminating Limp-wristed Breaks Assn.)

Lester
11-19-2002, 11:59 AM
Ken, Ken leave Prince Charlie alone! He's a prince for god's sake. Before he went to the open bridge, he used what became known as the "London Bridge". But we all know it "fell down" out of favor. In spite of his preference, the guy gets more than his share of babes (he is a prince after all). Not to mention that he can give them "the royal treatment", not an option with you and I. JMHO ***Lester***

phil in sofla
11-19-2002, 05:43 PM
When I went to the Florida Pro Tour's final tournament, I found most of the people there breaking with draw left on the cue ball, to bring it back to the head of the table with the 1, to get a shot on the 1. Maybe one person in the field was trying to park the cue ball center table, and the rest weren't.

One of Burt Kinnester's tapes, probably dating back to early-/mid-'90s (not sure), mentions that he had seen Archer using this technique at that time, which Burt thought was a new wrinkle as of then.

eg8r
11-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Ken you are too funny. [ QUOTE ]
I was saddened the other day when I saw a good pool-playing friend of mine (I won't mention his name as to avoid public humiliation but his initials are e-g-8-r) adopt the limp-wristed-woosy-break known as the "soft break". I have to say it was embarrassing to watch. The balls barely spread apart! It was like a one-pocket break utilizing only nine balls.
<hr /></blockquote>Thanks for not giving away my name. I almost did not think you were talking about me. Anyways, the reasoning for the softer break; since my hard break was not producing anything I decided to slow the cueball down and make sure I was hitting the one ball solidly. In doing this, I made the 9 on the first try. Well like every other pool player out there, when you make the 9 you try to reproduce the results by sticking with the previous break. After I noticed that was not working anymore, and I was tired of the endless whining from Ken, I decided to move my cueball out to the edge (I am not comfortable breaking out there) and broke hard. Better action on the balls but no more 9's ever.

eg8r &lt;~~~ I cannot wear her lingerie because she complains of me stretching them out. lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

eg8r
11-20-2002, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention that he can give them "the royal treatment", not an option with you and I<hr /></blockquote>I object, I give Heather the royal treatment every day.

eg8r