PDA

View Full Version : "Action" 9 Ball Rules

11-19-2002, 10:16 AM
I was wondering, what are considered to be the defacto standard for 9 ball rules when playing for, you know, jellybeans and whatnot? An acquaintence may have a game set up and he was asking me about a couple of rules. While I know the rules of nine ball, there's always different variations and I don't get into a lot of 9 ball action so it got me to thinking (can be a dangerous thing). Are Texas Express rules the standard, or BCA, or...? It's good to know these things ahead of time, no? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thanks!
Chris

Rich R.
11-19-2002, 11:00 AM
I doesn't matter what set of rules you play by. Just make sure you and your opponent are playing by the same set of rules.

smfsrca
11-19-2002, 12:50 PM
On the West Coast, most tournament and match play use the Texas Express rules http://www.billiardsdepot.com/texexp/rules_sec1.htm
In any case, you should make sure you and your opponent are on the same wavelength, otherwise, your match may be decided in the parking lot.
Steve in CA

11-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Thanks, that was the kind of answer I was looking for.
I was just kind of curious as to what rules people generally played under and how one goes about ironing out any discrepancies. If there's enough at stake you don't want to leave anything to chace.
I don't play much nine ball competitively as there's not any poolrooms nearby and (unfortuantely) I do a lot of my playing in bars, which usually means 8 ball. With 8 ball it seems that every league or association has their own set of rules, and most bars you go into, trying to play anything close to "real" 8 ball will be sure to cause trouble; it's always some bastardized version where you have to call every little kiss, nudge, etc... Unless you're playing a legitimate/stand-up player who knows the rules, or at least doesn't try changing them mid-game, it's hardly ever worth getting into serious money eight ball games because there's always some obscure "rule" that people suddenly remember at just the right (or wrong) time. I've had people try to tell me in the middle of a game that a miss (not a foul, a miss) is ball in hand, or that an object ball so much as grazing the point on the way in is no good because I didn't call the rail. I know the inherent design of nine ball avoids some of these pitfalls, but I was wondering if money players often had the same problems and/or how it's avoided. Is there less of this at the higher levels, after the wheat has been separated from the chaff, so to speak?