PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic group sharking practices?

phil in sofla
11-19-2002, 08:19 PM
Playing locally, I see a lot of different groups of various national backgrounds playing. Many of them seem to regard interfering with the shooter as an integral part of how they have fun with the game. They'll get right in front of the pocket the shooter is aiming toward and visually distract, verbally distract, whatever. If they had those long wavy balloons they use in the NBA to shark a free throw shooter, I'm sure they'd use those, too!

This seems true of Thai players, other Asians, different Latino groups, etc.

A day or two back, I was practicing alone when someone I was later told was a Gypsy (I don't think that was literally true) asked to play. I had a shot along the short rail to the corner, and the guy wasn't over the pocket, but standing right there at the short rail with me, crowding me. I stood up to wait for him to stand back. He didn't, instead questioning whether it was his shot. I said, no, it's my shot, but please, stand away from the table.

He took a half step back, giving me slightly more space, and as I was down, practice stroking along the short rail, he stepped forward, and put the chalk on that same rail about 2 inches from my bridge hand right as I pulled the trigger.

Although I'd sort of seen this from afar with those guys, I'd never had to deal with it, and it made me furious. I was happy my next shot was up table and he was still down table. I shot a table length 4 foot draw back shot, and then another one, this time about 6 feet back to the short rail and back out for a cut in the side for the 8 and the rack, leaving him with 7 balls on the table. (Brand new cloth, a day old, made that relatively easy to do).

I'm aware that this is a cultural thing with these guys, so I'm trying not to be too harsh, but that kind of thing is unacceptable, and I simply refuse to shoot with someone who won't quit it upon request. Really, you shouldn't even have to ask, and even having to ask makes me upset enough that I wouldn't want to play someone whose instinct would be to do that.

Ever see groups out shooting doing this to one another, and if so, is it always non-Anglos? If you've run into such a player where you had to play them, in the draw of a tournament or whatever, were you able to get them to quit doing it, and how hard was it?

dave
11-20-2002, 08:55 AM
Being an ass, knows no ethnic boundaries in my experience.

Popcorn
11-20-2002, 09:46 AM
I would say yes. I have played in Spanish rooms where people leaned all over the table as you were trying to shoot. They were not trying to shark me, they were doing it to everybody. I also see it with Orientals. They even woof at you as you are shooting. I thought it was pretty funny actually.

rackmup
11-20-2002, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ideas from Martha Stewart's Sharking Recipes:</font><hr>
If it's early in a race or in the rack and your opponent insists on standing at the pocket you're shooting at, simply launch the cueball at him/her, by utilizing the "Ice-Cream Scoop" method of jumping the ball off the table and directly at his/her cranium. Sure, you give up ball in hand most of the time but every now and then, you will render your opponent unconcious, resulting in a win by forfeit.

I also like this tacky little remedy for the player that likes to lay the chalk on the rail as you are preparing to shoot: After the chalk is placed on the rail, knock it to the floor with your hand and act as if you are preparing to continue with your shot. As the offending twit bends down to retrieve the fallen chalk, change positions and strike him/her in the temple with the butt of your cue. Even the largest doses of Ibuprofen won't cure that headache.

If these tactics don't work, while your opponent is taking a restroom break, take out a small container of personal "Pepper Spray" and spray it on his linen wrap. This is very effective and utilizing it, I managed to win the "1991 Betty Crocker 9-Ball Invitational" over Emeril, the Iron Chef and several other peers. Like Emeril says: BAM!

Do you have a personal pet-peeve that you would like advice on? Post your questions and Martha will do all she can to put YOU in the winners circle!<hr /></blockquote>

I've tried the "launch the cueball" and it works.

Regards,

Ken

Wally_in_Cincy
11-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Like Popcorn said you'll see the Latino guys leaning all over the table while a guy is shooting. I don't think it's sharking, just a cultural thing.

pass
11-20-2002, 11:07 AM
I played one guy the other day, I believe he said he was Algerian, who would chalk up his cue and slam the tip down on the pocket to rid it of the excess chalk right as I was lining up my shot. Then later he accused me of sharking him because I missed the first couple of shots. I told him its kind of hard to hustle you when we're not even playing for money and we're on a free table! Idiot. Not that this has anything to do with him being from a certain ethnic group, I've seen a lot of jerks from all backgrounds.

11-20-2002, 11:32 AM
hehe I like it!
I hate people who pull that kind of stuff. It's pathetic really; no sense of honor or dignity. If it were a money game, I'd take issue or not play at all. If it's just for the table at a bar or something, then I consider it good practice for my mental game. Beating a cheater makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as it being an ethnic issue, I don't believe that has much bearing; I've seen more good ol' boys pull this kind of stuff than anybody, while just the other night I played a Hispanic guy who was a real class act. If it's a "cultural" thing, then I guess getting your a$$ kicked might be considered a "cultural" thing too (not that I'm prone to violence).

SpiderMan
11-20-2002, 11:44 AM
I think this is standard practice with Dallas-area Mexicans. They don't seem to consider it improper or sharking, just part of the standard skill set for playing the game. No harm done, they all appear to agree on the standards for conduct and they're having fun.

They mostly play a "ring game" of sorts for money. This game involves spotting the balls along the rails, one at each diamond, and shooting them in rotation. Points are scored by a system that depends on which ball is pocketed. Usually there will be four or so players, and all but the shooter at a given moment will be down by the designated pocket, waving, woofing, laughing, and making faces at the shooter. Balls roll all over the table, but it's unusual to see two potted in a row by the same shooter. Despite this, a lot of cash seems to change hands.

What I find even more interesting is that this game of "Mexican Bang-a-Ball" is referred to by the participants as "Black Pool" /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SpiderMan

11-20-2002, 06:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would say yes. I have played in Spanish rooms where people leaned all over the table as you were trying to shoot. They were not trying to shark me, they were doing it to everybody. I also see it with Orientals. They even woof at you as you are shooting. I thought it was pretty funny actually. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Popcorn,

It's Asians not Orientals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,
mark23

Popcorn
11-20-2002, 06:54 PM
OK, I will take your word for it.

Ludba
11-20-2002, 07:38 PM
Please forgive my ignorance...

Is "Orientals" offensive? If you trace back "oriental," it just means "eastern." Does "Asians" define a regional people better than "Oriental"? Is it a name preferred by Asians or is it a personal preference?

Again, please excuse me if I am showing how foolish I am. In my study of various Asian cultures I have not found an aversion to the name "Oriental."

ludba

Alfie
11-20-2002, 07:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ludba:</font><hr> Please forgive my ignorance...
Is "Orientals" offensive? <hr /></blockquote>
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oriental

Fred Agnir
11-21-2002, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ludba:</font><hr> Please forgive my ignorance...
Is "Orientals" offensive? <hr /></blockquote>
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oriental <hr /></blockquote>
This really gripes my a$$. You live for some 60-100 years, and through it all, words that once weren't offensive, suddenly are offensive. And it happens three or four or five times in a lifetime.

We go from Negro, to Black, to African-American. The last one seems to be the least offensive, but the beat-around-the-bush PC nature of it irks me.

If someone wants to say "Oriental," that's fine by me. It seemed fine in the 70's. "Asian" seems too vague. What's worse? Stereotyping by a group (southeast asians) and calling them "Orientals," or stereotyping an even larger group calling them "Asians." It's bad either way, but I feel for the Indians who are getting grouped together for what the Chinese are doing. Worse yet, often, Indians aren't even considered in the group of "Asians." How goofy is that?

Fred &lt;~~~ oriental with black friends

Paul_Mon
11-21-2002, 09:45 AM
Did you flip from being a Flip? Do you remember me asking you about this?

Paul Mon~~~~~~~American

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

Fred &lt;~~~ oriental with black friends <hr /></blockquote>

heater451
11-21-2002, 12:16 PM
Although I agree on political correctness being the impetus for the change from "oriental" to "Asian", it was explained to me that the former related more correctly to objects (ex., Oriental rug) than the latter.

I too am baffled by how Indians aren't considered Asian. Maybe the tectonics is an issue. . . . /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

~"half-Asian" also sounds slightly better than "half-Oriental", aurally speaking (IMO).

======================

Fred Agnir
11-21-2002, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr>
~"half-Asian" also sounds slightly better than "half-Oriental", aurally speaking (IMO).
<hr /></blockquote>
Semi-oriented

rackmup
11-21-2002, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Semi-oriented <hr /></blockquote>

This is how I feel after a half-bottle of NyQuil.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ,

Ken

smfsrca
11-21-2002, 01:05 PM
Oriental is less specific and subject to more interpretation than Asian. Whereas Asia refers to a well defined geographical continent, Orient usually refers to areas of eastern Asia, typically although not exclusively, China, Korea and Japan. Hence, India is part of Asia but is not typically thought of as part of the Orient.

This is similar to America and Americans being thought of as the United States of America even though the Americas are made up of many nations on 2 continents.

All this of course doesn't have much to do with pool.