PDA

View Full Version : GRAND SLAM OF 9 BALL

cueball1950
11-19-2002, 09:11 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifWHAT WOULD YOU CONSIDER THE GRAND SLAM OF 9 BALL. MY PICKS ARE
1) WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP , CARDIFF WALES
2) BCA 9 BALL,, IN VEAGS
3) U S OPEN IN CHESAPEAKE VIRGIMIA
4) DERBY CITY CLASSIC 9 BALL
THAT IS MY LIST. I THREW DERBY CITY IN CUZ AT THE MOMENT I CANNOT THINK OF ANOTHER MAJOR.BUT I BELIEVE IT BELONGS THERE ANYWAY.SO WHAT IS YOUR OPINION. HOW CLOSE AM I TO BEING CORRECT...THANKS..................MIKE

AzHousePro
11-20-2002, 12:48 AM
Mike, I have put some thought to this and I really think it is more of a 'triple crown of 9-ball'.

While I think Derby City is a great event, I just don't put it on the same level as Cardiff, The Open or BCA. The prize money and the longevity of the events are the main basis for comparison I am using.

Mike

smfsrca
11-20-2002, 01:53 AM
US Open - Chesapeake, VA
World Pool Championship - Cardiff, Wales
IBC Championship - Tokyo, Japan

Pool(9 ball) is very quickly gaining an international flavor. Without some serious and influential organization occuring at the professional level it may not be long before the US fails to have an event prestigious enough to qualify in the international arena.
Even the most prestigious US event, the US Open, failed to draw the best asian players this year.

bigbro6060
11-20-2002, 02:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr>
Even the most prestigious US event, the US Open, failed to draw the best asian players this year.
<hr /></blockquote>

Just a correction, the US open clashed with the Asian games so many top asian players including Django and the Maestro were committed to the asian games hence the lack of top asian talent at the US open

bad scheduling ???

maybe, or maybe a strategic move to try and increase the chances of an American winner /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

smfsrca
11-20-2002, 02:58 AM
That is exactly my point. They or their sponsors had to choose between 2 events and they did not choose the US Open.

Voodoo Daddy
11-20-2002, 03:54 AM
The "Triple Crown" as az-Mike mentioned should be The US Open, Derby City Classic and the BCA 9-BAll. The "Grand Slam" as cueball-Mike mentioned could be the US Open, Cardiff and Tokyo, and the BCA could make it a "Super Slam". Maybe each promotor could pony up 5k a piece, put it in escrow and offer the money to the first man to win all 3 or 4 events in a row....{Wheels are always turnin'}

Rich R.
11-20-2002, 05:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> That is exactly my point. They or their sponsors had to choose between 2 events and they did not choose the US Open.
<hr /></blockquote>
I believe their sponsors may have chosen the Asian games, over the U.S. Open, because they do most of their business in that part of the world.
Always follow the money when looking for a reason for a business man's choice.