PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Balls

bigbro6060
11-19-2002, 09:43 PM
no rude jokes /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, when you play on a table with a cueball which is all marked with stale chalk and looks a mess etc, how much does it affect play ?

I find i miscue a few times when i don't usually, i think i sure be more conservative with spin

In snooker, the players ask for the ref to clean the white whenever they get a kick so obviously a dirty ball isn't good

Cueless Joey
11-19-2002, 10:15 PM
They seem "heavy" when I play with them.

Rod
11-20-2002, 12:45 AM
If the c/b is dirty chances are so are the rest of them. Miscue should'nt be a problem with that much chalk on them there should be more grip - so to speak. What really bugs me is they cling together causing a skid. I've seen it so bad it was necessary to use helping english to offset the contact induced throw on all cut shots. All of these balls felt like sandpaper. That's the short version, I'll never forget that place.

TonyM
11-20-2002, 01:35 AM
"Seriously, when you play on a table with a cueball which is all marked with stale chalk and looks a mess etc, how much does it affect play ?"

Two things are affected by extra surface friction (on the cue ball).

Throw, and draw.

Throw will increase as the surface friction increases. Thus, you will have to aim a little bit thinner for shots where the object ball must travel a substantial distance. For really dirty balls, it can be a pretty large effect (more than a few degrees).

And for very suffed balls, the cue ball will lose a bit of spin before it arrives at the object ball when using draw. So you might have to adjust by using a bit more speed (to shoretn the time the cue ball spends travelling to the object ball).

Tony

jjinfla
11-20-2002, 06:04 AM
Well Rod and Tony it is evident that you did not read Mike Sigel's last two articles in BD because then you would know that there is no such thing as throw. LOL. The bar tables are so bad at our local bar that I can see the chalk flying off the balls when they get hit. What is really bad is when the owner cleans the balls and tables and I forget to uncompensate my compensation for the dirty balls. It's enough to make a person drink. Jake

MikeM
11-20-2002, 10:26 AM
If you keep your balls clean you won't scratch as much!

(Sorry Bro I couldn't resist)

MM

rackmup
11-20-2002, 10:31 AM
If your room doesn't clean them, is there anything that is recommended to take with you to the PH to get rid of the grime?

We play with brand new Aramiths but the PH is so caught up in trying to turn the place into Fort Worth's version of "Studio 54" that they fail to keep them clean.

Regards,

Ken

pass
11-20-2002, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> If you keep your balls clean you won't scratch as much!
<hr /></blockquote>

hehe

Rod
11-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Wipe them with your towel. OR if you like put some glass cleaner on a thin cotton towel, then put it in a zip lock bag. Tear up one of your old Martha Stewart T Shirts, but don't tell Martha!

11-20-2002, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> If your room doesn't clean them, is there anything that is recommended to take with you to the PH to get rid of the grime?
<hr /></blockquote>

I was just thinking about this.
Our local watering hole/haunt has tournaments every Saturday, but their balls are encrusted with gunk, not to mention the dirty cloth. I don't know how they get away with it, what with leagues and all.
Anyway, I considered bringing some stuff to clean up the balls and tables, but my wife suggested that it may be bad form to do so. I guess it might be rude, but it would be nice to play with clean equipment. Maybe I could offer to do it ahead of time to see what sort of reaction I receive.

dddd
11-20-2002, 11:51 PM
dirty balls affect me by the two balls clinging slightly, before letting go. this moment where the q sticks to object ball pushes ball slightly and moves the resulting path off line slightly, and if ball path is critical you will miss the shot.
this two ball contact is where it can give me fits, for no reason of my doing the ball moves off line and i sit down.

TomBrooklyn
11-21-2002, 01:04 AM
I used to play in a bar that had a table brush that didn't get used enough. If the table was dirty I asked for the brush and brushed the table. No one seemed to mind. If I was going to clean the balls I would do it on an off hour when no one was playing on the table. I wouldn't ask if it was ok, I would just do it without making a big production out of it or a mess. Probably the bartender would be happy someone was doing it.
=TB=

jjinfla
11-21-2002, 07:02 AM
Tom, I would venture to say that most of the people who would see you clean the balls would just think that you were were just trying to make them look nice since they never realize that the accumulation of chalk and dirt on the balls affect the shots. Little do they know that you are actually trying to give yourself the edge. Especially if you clean them and no one knows about it. They come to the table unconsciously execting more throw than they get and just can't understand how they missed that shot. Thinking, "It went in the other night when I hit it the same way." LOL. Jake~~~always good to have a little edge.

dddd
11-22-2002, 03:09 AM
i dont see a way to be prepared for that first instance, it will be a random happening sort of thing. i cant always shoot as though they will stick and slide. i come up and play, it happens and can destroy a good run. it did to me last week. rolling the ball to the pocket gives me straight in on last ball, q ball hits object and hesitates and sticks, slightly moving ball off line to where it hits corner of facing instead of falling into pocket with perfect shape. well there went a good plan.