PDA

View Full Version : Tip Shaping

rackmup
11-19-2002, 11:07 PM
I own several tip shapers and none of them do a very good job. What is the secret to getting that nice round radius on your little piece of pigskin?

It seems all shapers leave a little flat spot on the tip.

Ideas?

Regards,

Ken

Rod
11-20-2002, 12:20 AM
Ken, nothing wrong with a little flat spot, that's a center ball stroke. Leave it there it won't effect anything.
Now if you really really want it round, you know it bugs you. Use a half round tip shaper or a peice of sand paper cupped in your hand. About 220 grit will do the job. I keep one of those 1" wide fingernail boards from Walgreens in my case, just in case.

Cueless Joey
11-20-2002, 01:30 AM
I use Willards or Martha Stewart's cheese grater. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Willard's works for me.

smfsrca
11-20-2002, 02:18 AM
Basically, what Rod had to say pretty much covers it.
I would like to add that once your tip has been put on new you should really never have to shape it again. That is except for a mushroomed tip and then you only have to trim and burnish the sides. Every time you strike the cue ball a small amount of material is lost and if you play quite a bit the tip takes on a naturally shape that is suited to your style. For example, my tip starts out like a nickel new and after a short time is more like a dinme and pretty much remains that way. I never have to re-shape it, altough I do burnish it occasionally.

Steve

Ward
11-20-2002, 07:39 AM
Ken

Go see Hebert (Abear)

Fred Agnir
11-20-2002, 08:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> I own several tip shapers and none of them do a very good job. What is the secret to getting that nice round radius on your little piece of pigskin?

It seems all shapers leave a little flat spot on the tip.

Ideas?

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>
With most shapers, I've had good success shaping as if I'm starting a fire. Clean out the shaper often, as the leather bits get trapped in there which causes the flat spot, IMO.

I got the Pocket Lathe and it gave me some solutions. Using a regular metal shaper, if you can roll the shaft while keeping it horizontal (which is what you do on the Pocket Lathe), you can shape the tip rounded with no flat spot since the leather bits fall to the ground rather than getting trapped in the shaper.

To mimic the Pocket Lathe, roll your shaft on a table (with some sort of protection like a cloth under the shaft), and shape the tip (overhanging the side of the table) with the metal shaper., The shaper should be moving in a back and forth sawing motion. The rolling motion of the shaft should also be back and forth due to the taper and the limited room on a table :-). Coordination might be tricky at first. The Pocket Lathe makes things a little easier since there's no need to go back and forth, and the shaft is held stable.

Fred

Chris Cass
11-20-2002, 09:40 AM
Hi Ken,

I have 2 things to add to all the good ones already.

1) There was a post that someone wrote awhile back about making their own tip shaper from 1' PVC and self sticking sand paper. JimS, gave me one for either my birthday or xmas? Either one, I was hoping it was one of the 3 million S.W. cues on his wall. LOL

2) I learned this awhile back. When shaping the tip with a what I call a half moon sander job. Wet the tip with some spit and then the big freying action will stop and become perfect.

Regards,

C.C.~~tip of the day.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
11-20-2002, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Ken,

I have 2 things to add to all the good ones already.

1) There was a post that someone wrote awhile back about making their own tip shaper from 1' PVC and self sticking sand paper. JimS, gave me one for either my birthday or xmas? Either one, I was hoping it was one of the 3 million S.W. cues on his wall. LOL

C.C.~~tip of the day.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I posted that one or two years ago. It's 3/4" schedule 40 for a penny radius and 1/2" schedule 80 for a dime. If anyone is interested, send me a private message and I'll send the original text plus a couple pictures to show how it works. Guaranteed perfect radius and no flat spots.

Must have been a good idea, shortly afterwards Playpool.com was selling a similar setup as part of their "pocket lathe" package /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan