PDA

View Full Version : Do Fibreglass Cues have the same Probs as Graphite

bigbro6060
11-20-2002, 12:57 AM
Namely, they get mega sticky and you really need a glove to play with them ?

I'm looking at getting a Cuetec Fibreglass cue, i didn't like their graphite ones because of the sticky problem

TonyM
11-20-2002, 01:31 AM
"Namely, they get mega sticky and you really need a glove to play with them ?"

Basically, you have the same problem.

However, cuetec have developed a newer finish that is better than before. The shaft has a "matte" finish that appears to be almost a fine glass bead blasting (like a frosted finish). This finish resists the sticky feeling better than before.

I have several students that own Cuetecs. I have told them to carry a small bottle of either rubbing alcohol, or glass lens cleaner with them in their cue cases. When the shafts get sticky, they can wipe them down with the solvent and remove the build-up of hand oils.

This is the main problem with fiberglass, graphite, and even well sealed standard shafts. If you seal the wood to keep it smooth and clean, there is no place for the hand oils to go. So they build up on the surface of the finish, and it gets sticky in a short time.

For this reason, I prefer bare wood with no finish whatsoever on my personal cues.

But, if you wipe the cuetec shaft down at regular intervals (prferably with a mild solvent) and keep your hands clean, they can be managed quite well.

Tony

Fred Agnir
11-20-2002, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Namely, they get mega sticky and you really need a glove to play with them ?

I'm looking at getting a Cuetec Fibreglass cue, i didn't like their graphite ones because of the sticky problem <hr /></blockquote>
Reportedly, the Cuetec fiberglass-clad SST shafts don't have the same stickiness issues as the previous Fiberglass-clad shafts.

Fred